Light-O-Rama Forums

ideal computor

kingfish

okey i am going to pick up a desktop for my shows alredy have monitor ,keyboard and mouse so all i am looking for is a tower. Also being computor stupid  ot sure what i need. earlier before the crash there was talk of one for cheap. around 200.00 does anybody remember.  I guess we will all remember the crash of thanksgiving 15

larry

Depending on how much you are running can be the difference between a lower end computer and a medium or above computer. If you are just running AC channels and one LOR network, just about any machine will run it. If you are going to add RGB or E1.31 and additional networks, then I would suggest something more robust. Doesn't have to be extreme like a gaming machine or anything. Just additonal ram memory, nice harddrive size and a reasonably fast CPU which most have. Now if you are going to add on, in the years to come, like so many of us have, then you might wish to start out with a reasonable decent machine. I bought a refurbished HP workstation from Walmart with a xeon processor and the capability of 72Gb of ram, for $269. It had new Windows 7 within and ready to run....powerful machine for very little. It came with 4gb ram, 750gb HD, which I upgraded to 32Gb and added a backup identical HD to it. It came with a video card and cables for splitting off to two DVI monitors out of the box. Life was good!

i do think i want  the later for i do plan to expand then expand and probally expand. cyber monday is monday [da] so its going to be my gift to me

ditto what Dgrant said; if you can find the computer he bought for that price, thats a great deal

just a suggestion: 

something with an i5 or i7(better) processor

8 gig ram

500meg or 1 terabyte hard drive(or more)

win 7(win 10 if your brave)

i suggest something that can support 2 monitors; once you start sequencing, 2 monitors helps a lot

My show PC is just a cheap PC, celeron CPU, 4 gig ram, built in video. A show PC don't need much. Modern CPU's have progressed a lot, using a i5 or i7 for just a show PC is a waste of money