Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX interface kit a possibility?

Tim Fischer

Mountainwxman wrote:

randallr wrote:
A word about DMX channels.... I've picked up several fixtures... Chauvet MinWash and a couple of ColorSplash 196's... I didn't pay attention to the channels before I ordered the 196's and just found out the the 7 channels were 3 Red, 2 Green, 2 Blue... Most other fixtures have a single channel for all of the same colored LED's, a seperate channel for intensity and strobing... I'll put these Colorsplash 196's back on ebay as it would be a real pain keeping up with needless repetative channels....

On my Chauvet ColorSplash 200, the DMX values are:

1) Function

2) Red

3) Green

4) Blue

5) Effects

6) Dimmer

Just out of curiosity, what does the "dimmer" channel do? I'd think that the three RGB channels would also handle the dimming?

-Tim

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tim Fischer

• Robin

• iresq

• stachows

Guest wbottomley

Tim... when I get the DMX interface, I'd like to see what that does too. If each channel handles it own color then why do you need a dimmer channel.

The colorsplash has pleased me so far.

Someone mentioned that the interface adds 512 channels but I was under the impression that the LOR i/f only allowed 256 channels. Pretty sure I read that.

RW

FBW4 wrote:

Someone mentioned that the interface adds 512 channels but I was under the impression that the LOR i/f only allowed 256 channels. Pretty sure I read that.

RW

LOR allows a lot more than 256 channels... It's something like 250 units (each unit having 8, 16, or more channels...). There's a thread here called something like "wow oh wow" that shows a display with well over 1000 channels...

-Tim

I mean the 512 DMX channel that a DMX universe normally has. The iDMX can only address 256 of those on it.

Yes- I already have 300 channels plannel of LOR next year. But I am talking about the iDMX. I think it only addresses 256 channels.

You are also allowed(I believe I read somewhere) to have multiple fixtures have the same address, so theoretically you could have 10 identical fixtures set at the same address and use only a few channels needed to have them do their thing. Anybody correct me if I am wrong.

I used four Chauvet ColorSplash Jr.’s for my display for the first time in 2007. The iDMX1000 and ColorSplash units all worked perfectly with not one single problem.

On this YouTube video you can see how nice and rich the colors are. At :38 seconds you can see the colors change on my house from the ColorSplash: http://youtube.com/watch?v=nXsOII8U-lk

They are not waterproof but an easy enclosure can be made using these instructions: http://www.christmasonchestnutave.com/Project1.html

- Dave

Guest wbottomley

FBW4 wrote:

I mean the 512 DMX channel that a DMX universe normally has. The iDMX can only address 256 of those on it.

Yes- I already have 300 channels plannel of LOR next year. But I am talking about the iDMX. I think it only addresses 256 channels.

LOR II suppose to be able to handle DMX 512.

I just read from the iDMX manual that it only handles 256 and should be able to do the 512 in a future upgrade. Is the future upgrade LOR II?

I'm not sure, but I think I read a comment somewhere (by Dan?) that it will handle 512 channels when they release the new firmware upgrade later this year.

Tim Fischer wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what does the "dimmer" channel do? I'd think that the three RGB channels would also handle the dimming?

-Tim

The dimmer dims all the channels. This is useful in sound active mode. You probably would not use this feature in an outside display. However, at a small venue with people standing 5-10' away, led light fixtures can be extemely bright and annoying.

I have added diffusers to most of my led fixtures and still have to dim them a bit.

You do know that there are a ton of items that are non DMX?

Prices are good and most are either sound activated or preprogramed with about 16 sequences. So I would imagine that you could turn one item on with an LOR channel. Most of these items are under five amps so you could put one on several different controllers.

I want to make the people viewing part of the show so am considering lights that can be placed under the eves and shoot out toward the people watching. The wall washes are available in non DMX too.

I may order one just to see how it works on LOR.

Robin wrote:

The wall washes are available in non DMX too.

Do you have any product pointers? I'd be interested...

But I'm assuming if I want something that changes colors, dimmable, and is preferably LED's, I'm probably talking DMX... Alternatively I'd consider dimmable LED floods that would plug into a standard LOR channel, but so far I haven't found any that are dimmable...

-Tim

I have two concerns with the DJ stuff.
One is if just and LOR channel will power it. They should since they will power several floods. The other is the distance that lazers and other things will project. Like I said I want to shoot stuff toward the audience so they are part of the show. Like moving patterns at their feet. That sort of thing. I am concerned that fog may be need to make the beams visable.

I don't think power would be a concern. Standard P64 cans draw 2 amps and are very powerful. LED P64's draw .2 amps. Some led fixtures are color selectable by dip switches, which would allow non-dmx integration. But the color choices would be very limited.

Atmosphere is very important to see most non-wash effects. Fog and haze are commonly used. Neither of which work well outdoors for the purpose of supporting lighting effects (except maybe strobes). Lasers have a long reach but can't really be scene without atmospheric enhancement.

As most venues no longer allow fog/haze, it is common to use washes (both direct and ambient) as well as effects that are often projected on the walls, ceiling and floor.

For a Christmas display, I can see washing structures and trees. I could see using moving heads and scanners projecting on houses and trees. I would think that aiming lighting effects directly at your guests might be distracting.

Not the way I wannt to do it. The front view area could be turned into a dance floor! I will have to get on other computer to show you what I am talking about as far as the patterns on the ground. Also, I never meant to aim the lights directly at their heads! Just at the ground in front of them.

For me I do not think washes are an option as most of the front of my house is covered with three rather large coro projects so would have to wash over them.

OK. There are a ton of non-dmx effects that could be used. We call these spin and pukes. Most are sound activated via internal mic. Some, like the Revo 3 (highly recommended) can run in dmx and non-dmx mode. If your space allows, I would mount high on the sides of your 'dance floor' as the fixtures do draw some attention.

The older halogen lamp models typically have a duty cycle meaning they can't be left on for more than a couple of minutes. The higher end and led products have no duty cycle. There is typically a second or so delay between turning on and movement.

Actually was going to mount them under the eves of the house. Point them out and down.

Yes on the sound activated but they can also be set to the preprogramed mode and they have about 16 programs. I understand the duty cycle and most is ten minutes but as you well know when do we leave anything on like this for a full ten minutes? So that is not an issue.

The cost is not so much of an issue. Rather it is the programming of the DMX and that you have to build water proof containers for every piece. I am going to take on a rather large project this year that will have at least 120 channels of LOR or as many as 240 and I think it is going to be a difficult item to sequence. That is why I want to keep other builds at a minimum this year. Shucks I may only build a dozen or so wireframes.:P