Light-O-Rama Forums

Want to up grade to RGB but scared

Need more lights

I use the Boysco arches they are made for 50 pixels I just skip a hole between oixels

Postv a pic of your arches would ya, I would like to see how they look. My arches are 33 pixels a piece, about 8 foot long each.

The OP mentions Matt Johnsons arches, you guys are talking about totally different types of arches. They aren't HDPE pipe, they aren't pipe at all you're just shoving pixels into a black stip and bending it. Perhaps you should see Matt Johnson's arches before offering advice for a totally different type of arch build and then see if your arch build looks as good.

1 Pixel every 3" will not look good in HDPE pipe(the Matt Johnson arch type). First off the HDPE arches mentioned use pixel strips, not nodes. You guys are using nodes, big difference. Strips have a pixel every 1". A length of 50 nodes is 12 feet, so 25 is 6 feet, not 8 feet. Also nodes look like crap when inside pipes, strips look 1000 times better.

Like I said, lets see these 25 pixel arches and see how good they look compared to Matt Johnsons.

aesl1982, those aren't HDPE arches.....those are just nodes shoved in strips.

Edited by Sully

The OP mentions Matt Johnsons arches, you guys are talking about totally different types of arches. They aren't HDPE pipe, they aren't pipe at all you're just shoving pixels into a black stip and bending it. Perhaps you should see Matt Johnson's arches before offering advice for a totally different type of arch build and then see if your arch build looks as good.

1 Pixel every 3" will not look good in HDPE pipe(the Matt Johnson arch type). First off the HDPE arches mentioned use pixel strips, not nodes. You guys are using nodes, big difference. Strips have a pixel every 1". A length of 50 nodes is 12 feet, so 25 is 6 feet, not 8 feet. Also nodes look like crap when inside pipes, strips look 1000 times better.

Like I said, lets see these 25 pixel arches and see how good they look compared to Matt Johnsons.

aesl1982, those aren't HDPE arches.....those are just nodes shoved in strips.

aesl1982 never once said they were using HDPE for their arches. I am not talking about the OP's arches. I am responding to aesl1982's post about their arches. You obviously have a serious bias towards Matts style of arches that you can not admit that Pixel arches look very good ass well.

They're 2 different arches.....if you like the raw pixel look in Coro so be it but those look nothing like HDPE arches in any way. So why try and convince the OP that cheap coro arches are great when he knows what he wants and will be disappointed with coro ones.

• Like 1

My arches have 50 CCPs with 2 inch spacing with the pixels illuminating the inside of 3/4 inch PEX, and it looks very good. I agree that much larger spacing or much larger PEX and it would not be enough light. You can see photos on my web site listed below.

They're 2 different arches.....if you like the raw pixel look in Coro so be it but those look nothing like HDPE arches in any way. So why try and convince the OP that cheap coro arches are great when he knows what he wants and will be disappointed with coro ones.

I am telling the OP of all the options available, Some people do not have the money it takes to get in to CCR. I prefer LOR software over anything else, but money wise i can not afford LOR equipment.

Jerry, I never mentioned CCR's. I agree 100% with you about LOR equipment

I think you and i took different paths on this. CCR's are what is in Matts arches right?

If memory serves on Matt's arches, They are 60 LEDs per meter and I think 12v WS2811. Each pixel is made up of 3 SMD5050 LEDs. I built my arches by Matt's template but I used WS2811 12v pixels with the exception, mine are 30 LEDs per meter. Mine has 24 Pixels per arch, 72 total SMD5050 LEDs. I think mine look just as good as Matt's, although, his is brighter because it has double the pixels in his.

On this link: 

you can see my arches well. My son's buddy, (10 yrs old) took this video last night with an android cell phone. I haven't taken any vids yet, but plan on it soon. The focus goes away about halfway through, but the first couple of songs, focus is good. Remember, he's only 10, so don't be dissing his video

As you can see from the video, they are very similar in look to Matt's. The strips I am using are inside the 2" HDPE tubing, the same part # that Matt flashed on his screen during his How-To video. 

IMHO, 24 pixels per arch is fine. 

Now, on my website, (see url in signature), last year's videos, I had 25 bullet nodes on 4" spacing, in PEX tubing on the Spider Burst on the left. IMHO, 25 pixels per arch is a quite nice look. I don't think they're as nice as the HDPE and strips, but they looked great last year. I will be adding them back next year along with the HDPE ones.

I don't mean to be the devil's advocate here, but if anyone is guessing that 25 nodes per arch will not look good, but you have not seen or built any, then I think I would not be trashing someone's idea. Just sayin'.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Don't be scared!

I have 5 arches, each one has one CCR attached to a 18' PVC pipe with zip ties.

Programing is easy since you will be doing mainly chases. 

If memory serves on Matt's arches, They are 60 LEDs per meter and I think 12v WS2811. Each pixel is made up of 3 SMD5050 LEDs. I built my arches by Matt's template but I used WS2811 12v pixels with the exception, mine are 30 LEDs per meter. Mine has 24 Pixels per arch, 72 total SMD5050 LEDs. I think mine look just as good as Matt's, although, his is brighter because it has double the pixels in his.

On this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2XGTCIZkYM you can see my arches well. My son's buddy, (10 yrs old) took this video last night with an android cell phone. I haven't taken any vids yet, but plan on it soon. The focus goes away about halfway through, but the first couple of songs, focus is good. Remember, he's only 10, so don't be dissing his video

As you can see from the video, they are very similar in look to Matt's. The strips I am using are inside the 2" HDPE tubing, the same part # that Matt flashed on his screen during his How-To video. 

IMHO, 24 pixels per arch is fine. 

Now, on my website, (see url in signature), last year's videos, I had 25 bullet nodes on 4" spacing, in PEX tubing on the Spider Burst on the left. IMHO, 25 pixels per arch is a quite nice look. I don't think they're as nice as the HDPE and strips, but they looked great last year. I will be adding them back next year along with the HDPE ones.

I don't mean to be the devil's advocate here, but if anyone is guessing that 25 nodes per arch will not look good, but you have not seen or built any, then I think I would not be trashing someone's idea. Just sayin'.

I have the same 25 pixel arches that Ron is talking about in my display with the PEX tubing, I like them.

Ok... so that answers that then. I was planning on the 30 per meter because I can get them locally and not have to order the 60's over seas from Ray Wu.

Matt does run 60's by the way and I think the 30's look great! :)  This is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you very much! These are what I'm going to build. Nice to see them running in a display. (which looks AWESOME I might add :D ) I love the I am Santa Claus part...I do that song too!

Tell your sons buddy he did a great job recording that...when I was 10, I was lucky to be able to record a song from the radio with a cassette player. ;)  

Edited by Need more lights
  • Like 1