Light-O-Rama Forums

Want to up grade to RGB but scared

Need more lights

Ok, I saw on YouTube the Johnson family display and I want to build RGB smart pixel leaping arches...6 of them to be exact, 8 feet long with about 25 pixels each.(75 leds with 3 to a group) so about 150 channels, or am I wrong with that math? This is where I start to loose it, I'm talking about SMART pixels, Any color,any pixel, anytime. Not dumb where the whole strip changes color. 

I run 32 channel LOR now and all led light strings. I really want to go RGB, but I'm scared to death, it seems like a big jump. Building the arches seem easy enough, but what do I need to do...

(1) to my license, I have 4.1.2 basic now...

(2) what do I need for a controller? I was looking at the pixcon16  but it doesn't have a weather proof box and do I need to have some sort of cooling for it is unclear. :huh:  I just don't want to do it wrong. Is there anything else out there that's turn key I just haven't found yet? I want to do this right the first time, if you catch my drift.

I don't care if it's overkill, I'm going to add more RGB's in the future, IF I can handle it... so more is better, right? ;)  

(3) how do I run the new controller with my current 32 channel set up? 

I don't want to give up the sequences I have now, just want to add to them. Is this very hard to do? I'm not that computer savvy but do have a basic understanding of what I'm up against. :o  I just don't want to buy what I don't really need or the wrong components.

The Superstar software has my attention also, the pixel editor I find to be not so user friendly.(at least not for 6 arches)  Maybe I just haven't experimented enough with it. Any pointers would be very much appreciated.  Thanks all, and happy programming!!! :D

Scott 

Edited by Need more lights
  • Like 1

Hey Scott,

Welcome to the madness!   Glad to see another person from MA in here!  Not too many...  :mellow: You're pretty close as well.

RGB offers so much more.  For me it is the main attraction but all the other lights compliment it.   I would suggest building a CCR tree and buying the super star add on.  I bought this from Brian back before he merged with the good folk here at LOR and I can personally say it's a great program!  Another good reason is that there are many  CCR tree sequences to purchase so you could be up and running quickly & take your time during the off season to learn super star.

I purchased my CCR Ribbons here at LOR with their controllers.  They offer great support, I had one issue with a ribbon not working and they sent me another out prompt;y no charge no questions.  You just don't see that support these days!

WIth the superstar you can export the (sup) file to a (lms) file & combine it into your existing sequences.  works pretty flawlessy if using the same song and timings.

That's how I did it anyway.  Well heading back out to put up more lights before heading off for T'Day.

Hope this helps a little 

Happy Thanksgiving

GMacW

• Like 1

Ok, I saw on YouTube the Johnson family display and I want to build RGB smart pixel leaping arches...6 of them to be exact, 8 feet long with about 25 pixels each.(75 leds with 3 to a group) so about 150 channels, or am I wrong with that math? This is where I start to loose it, I'm talking about SMART pixels, Any color,any pixel, anytime. Not dumb where the whole strip changes color. 

I run 32 channel LOR now and all led light strings. I really want to go RGB, but I'm scared to death, it seems like a big jump. Building the arches seem easy enough, but what do I need to do...

(1) to my license, I have 4.1.2 basic now...

(2) what do I need for a controller? I was looking at the pixcon16  but it doesn't have a weather proof box and do I need to have some sort of cooling for it is unclear. :huh:  I just don't want to do it wrong. Is there anything else out there that's turn key I just haven't found yet? I want to do this right the first time, if you catch my drift.

I don't care if it's overkill, I'm going to add more RGB's in the future, IF I can handle it... so more is better, right? ;)  

(3) how do I run the new controller with my current 32 channel set up? 

I don't want to give up the sequences I have now, just want to add to them. Is this very hard to do? I'm not that computer savvy but do have a basic understanding of what I'm up against. :o  I just don't want to buy what I don't really need or the wrong components.

The Superstar software has my attention also, the pixel editor I find to be not so user friendly.(at least not for 6 arches)  Maybe I just haven't experimented enough with it. Any pointers would be very much appreciated.  Thanks all, and happy programming!!! :D

Scott 

There are many controllers out there for Smart RGB, weather top go with CCR's or Pixels. PIxon, Sandevices, ALphapix, all great controllers, I use a E682 myself. As far as an enclosure, you can but a CG1500 enclosure, not sure if LOR sells them but i can send you a link to a place to get one for a really good price. As far as cooling is concerned, you dont need to worry about that where you live. You No matter what controller you get you will need a couple Power Supply Units. Again, those will fit in a CG1500 as well and you will not need to worry about overheating. I have had mine running for a week now, not one heating problem at all.

OH and as far as keeping yer existing sequences, no problem. You just create a enw profile that included yer original channels and your new RGB channels. If you get lost,. i am sure some oen here can help guide you through the setup. Bobo has a great program for making a profile for your RGB channels. Once you have your new profile, you just copy/paste your original sequences and your new RGB sequence in to it.

• Like 1

Great info guys! I'm glad I found this forum group, there are so many people on here with our passion for showing off. The support is a real moral builder, I don't feel so all alone here! As for being in Mass. I don't know anyone anywhere near here that does an LOR display, and I draw quite the crowd. I would love to come up to Pembroke and check you out GMacw, maybe we could hook up sometime! 

and thanks Jerry, I'll check out that enclosure. Nice to know no overheating trouble, that was a concern. The copy/paste sounds easy enough, and like you said, if I get stuck, I won't hesitate to ask questions. I just didn't want to get something that wasn't LOR compatible.

Like I said, I don't feel so alone here. Everyone had to start somewhere, and seeing some of others displays, there are some pretty talented people here. Thanks for the info!    

My opinion ... get the Cosmic Color Pixels. They have an enclosure, and are simple enough to add to your current sequences.

Using the for an arch (or 2) would be relatively simple, from a programming standpoint.

• Like 1

Great info guys! I'm glad I found this forum group, there are so many people on here with our passion for showing off. The support is a real moral builder, I don't feel so all alone here! As for being in Mass. I don't know anyone anywhere near here that does an LOR display, and I draw quite the crowd. I would love to come up to Pembroke and check you out GMacw, maybe we could hook up sometime! 

and thanks Jerry, I'll check out that enclosure. Nice to know no overheating trouble, that was a concern. The copy/paste sounds easy enough, and like you said, if I get stuck, I won't hesitate to ask questions. I just didn't want to get something that wasn't LOR compatible.

Like I said, I don't feel so alone here. Everyone had to start somewhere, and seeing some of others displays, there are some pretty talented people here. Thanks for the info!    

There are not many of us out in western mass, I know of 2 besides me. Ones about the same size as me the other is a 16 channel show. You guys have Facebook pages for your displays? Mine is Santa's house by the bigda's. My RGB arches are built using LOR ccp's

It's definitely a learning curve adding RGB to the mix, but the easiest way to do it is to to just jump into it and use the stuff.  I started by adding some CCR arches one year, and then went with a full RGB tree with pixels controlled by a E682 the next year.  There's lots of good info on the forums about adding pixels.  And as far as keeping your sequences, I keep all of mine, and have just added to them as I have added new lighting pieces.  Good luck!

If you want the easiest, use CCP's, the controllers work more like what you are use to.  You can use the black lawn edging (the pixels will plug right through the holes.  Use the grey PVC pipe through the tube for support).   
Total setup time start to finish 15 minutes per arch.

here is a link for home depot ( http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dimex-ProFlex-6-ft-Paver-Edging-in-Black-1260-HD/203706944 ).  can't tell from the picture but the one you would want has a tube with taps every inch.

Slightly different look than ribbons (points of light rather than line of light) but much less problems (ribbons and CCR's are fairly delicate and much much more difficult to repair.

If you want the easiest, use CCP's, the controllers work more like what you are use to.  You can use the black lawn edging (the pixels will plug right through the holes.  Use the grey PVC pipe through the tube for support).   

Total setup time start to finish 15 minutes per arch.

Wow, what great idea! The funny thing is that I'm a landscaper, and use this stuff all the time. Never even thought of using it like that. Now I have all kinds of thoughts going through my head. 

I plan on going RGB next year, I really started investigating it too late for this season, and I've blown my budget on more led strings. I also have a g3 mini director that runs my show. It only outputs in either/or DMX or LOR protocol...The only answer I've come up with is the San Devices ELOR, which will decode LOR up to DMX inline (daisy chained on the LOR network) and they are on back order. This is just a temporary fix anyway just to get my foot in the door until I completely switch over and upgrade the director to a raspberry pie. Apples to apples, I believe the ELOR is the answer for the next year or two.

I know the new G3 show directors run twin outputs, but I really can't afford to do that now, and in my opinion, I think the pie is a better/cheaper more powerful unit. 

As for the CCR's, yes they are plug and play, but again, price is an issue, when with the right hardware, I can run 1000's of RGB's for the same price of two CCR's. AND not cry when one of them gets destroyed by one of our Nor'Easters. LOL.

It's definitely a learning curve adding RGB to the mix, but the easiest way to do it is to to just jump into it and use the stuff.  I started by adding some CCR arches one year, and then went with a full RGB tree with pixels controlled by a E682 the next year.  There's lots of good info on the forums about adding pixels.  And as far as keeping your sequences, I keep all of mine, and have just added to them as I have added new lighting pieces.  Good luck!

I just want to say that this forum is absolutely FANTASTIC! All of you that have helped point me in the right direction on this topic I can't thank enough. Not so scared anymore, the education I've gotten here is like hitting the lottery.

Duckie, sounds like you are on the same path as I am, The San Devices are the way to go. Some little elves told me. :D   

Edited by Need more lights

You don't need the ELOR.  It was created before LOR did DMX easily. The E682 San Device will plug into your Ethernet connection at the same time you have the 485 adapter plugged into the comm port.  This is assuming you are going to  use DMX pixels.  

Here is a link to a thread about the lawn edging.  http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/31270-leaping-arch/?hl=%2Blawn+%2Bedging#entry288377

go down to lightzilla.     I found that using the 1/2 grey thin wall tubing give good support and bends easy enough to hold a nice arc. and fits perfect.

Edited by jerrymac

I just want to say that this forum is absolutely FANTASTIC! All of you that have helped point me in the right direction on this topic I can't thank enough. Not so scared anymore, the education I've gotten here is like hitting the lottery.

Duckie, sounds like you are on the same path as I am, The San Devices are the way to go. Some little elves told me. :D   

Yes, sounds like you are right where I was a couple years ago.  My best suggestion is to get the equipment when you can so you can start working with it.  It does take a little time to figure out the E682 and get it working with your existing stuff.  There's also sequencing the pixels and adding them into your existing sequences.  There is a lot of good info in the 1.31 forum for doing all of that.  I read a bunch of stuff in there and luckily only had a few frustrations when I started in pixels.

OH and as far as keeping yer existing sequences, no problem. You just create a enw profile that included yer original channels and your new RGB channels. If you get lost,. i am sure some oen here can help guide you through the setup. Bobo has a great program for making a profile for your RGB channels. Once you have your new profile, you just copy/paste your original sequences and your new RGB sequence in to it.

Hi Jerry, can you elaborate on this program for creating profiles? I'm a little confused as to what profiles are. Like the OP, this is my first year using RGB, and I'm trying to incorporate two CCRs and 8 of the small RGB Floods. I upgraded my superstar to the 4 CCR license so that I could play around with it sequencing all of my lights (not just my RGB). I forced every one of my existing channels into a SS row and column, which was a PITA. It created some decent sequences, but probably a little random for my taste. I did notice that if you're careful about giving it color information on your lights, it groups lights into groups.

Question, is there any way to tell it that certain things are grouped? i.e., it seems to struggle a bit with my mini-tree groups. It didn't really create any movement. 

I'll continue to monitor this thread. If there are any great tips you guys have, it would be great. I've been through the tutorials, but I didn't necessarily find anything super helpful for what I was trying to do. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

The profile is what contains all your channels. When you open a sequence in SE, your channels for that sequence is in a lineup, what you want to do, if you have not already done it, is click on Edit>Export/Import Channel Configuration>Export Channel Configuration. From there you can chgose to save your Profile anywhere you want. Once you have a profile you can import it, then add channels to it by holding you mouse over any of the channels and right clicking. you will see an option for adding multiple channels or multiple RGB channels.

A 8 foot arch with 25 pixels isn't going to look very good. 25 pixels just isn't that much to cover a 8 foot span of pipe, I have 5 foot( 5 foot at base of arch 8 foot of actual pipe) HDPE arches and they have 64 pixels each there is about 4" on each side of the bottoms that aren't lit. Costs is the biggest factor to look at...ws2811's aren't very expensive and a E682 is fairly cheap also. Programming the arches is pretty simple in PE which you get with the pro license level. I made my arches identical to Matt Johnson's except they're smaller, total cost with controller, power supply, box to hold controller and power supply, hdpe and hardware,ws2811 strips,  was around $700 for 6 arches

A pixel every 6" inside a arch would not look great. Let's see these 25 pixel arches

A 6 foot arch would have the pixels every 2.75 inches. Not every 6 inches. 6 foot =72"  72"/25=2.88"

Basic math

Edited by jerry72