Light-O-Rama Forums

Christmaslightshow.com Megatree Question

coachdove

I bought the 20' simple megatree kit (straight to the ground) from Daryl on christmaslightshow.com, but it did not come with any instructions.  The website mentions a download but there is no link to one to be found,  Emailed them last night, but no answer yet.  Probably out for the holidays.  

I have the material list from the website but it says I need 20' of 1 1/4 pipe AND 20' of 1 1/2 pipe.

Anyone know why I need both sizes?  Am I supposed to slip the 1 1/2" OVER the 1 1/4" pipe for added strength?

If anyone has a set of instructions for this particular tree, I'd really appreciate someone emailing them to me at:  coach dove@hotmail.com

One last question:  With a 10' diameter tree, how long should the support legs be on my tree?  The part list on the website says I need 4- 10' sections of 1" gray PVC (I assume for the legs to attach to the included base), but that seems like overkill since the legs would stick out 5' farther than the lights on the tree.  I do plan on anchoring the tree with the included guy wires.

Any help or comments are appreciated.

The 1 1/2" pipe is for the base.  I only used 1 stick cut in 3 pieces instead of 2 sticks cut in half. 

The 1 1/4" pipe is your center pole.  The "pole piece" slips between the two to create a 20' pole.  For mine the pipe had a weld seam inside so I ground a flat on the "pole piece" bars so that it slid in without forcing it.

I also used galvanized pipe instead of black pipe. 

The gray PVC is bent in a circle (2 actually) and rings around the tree.  These rings are for your lights to go around. 

I don't have the instructions in PDF sorry..

• Like 1

I received a DVD with video showing how to set it up.

I looked at the 20' mega tree kit on the website.  It says that a download link will be on the invoice.

I also see a video download associated with it.  I'm guessing this is what you need, so check your invoice.

Jerry

The 1 1/2" pipe is for the base.  I only used 1 stick cut in 3 pieces instead of 2 sticks cut in half. 

The 1 1/4" pipe is your center pole.  The "pole piece" slips between the two to create a 20' pole.  For mine the pipe had a weld seam inside so I ground a flat on the "pole piece" bars so that it slid in without forcing it.

The gray PVC is bent in a circle (2 actually) and rings around the tree.  These rings are for your lights to go around. 

Thanks plasmadrive!   That was what I needed to know.  I didn't realize he was including the PVC for a ground ring to wrap your lights around.

I bought EMT pipe (conduit that looks like steel fence posts) for the pole (1 1/4") and legs (1 1/2").  I passed on the PVC, but will go buy that today.  

How do you bend the PVC to make a circle?  I've heard that some people try to heat it up to make it more pliable?

I have a 10' diameter circle painted on my lawn around the pole, so I know where the PVC should go, at least.  

I received a DVD with video showing how to set it up.

I looked at the 20' mega tree kit on the website.  It says that a download link will be on the invoice.

I also see a video download associated with it.  I'm guessing this is what you need, so check your invoice.

Jerry

Invoice that was emailed did not have a download link, Jerry.  Can't find the paper invoice that was in the box right now either.

Thanks plasmadrive!   That was what I needed to know.  I didn't realize he was including the PVC for a ground ring to wrap your lights around.

I bought EMT pipe (conduit that looks like steel fence posts) for the pole (1 1/4") and legs (1 1/2").  I passed on the PVC, but will go buy that today.  

How do you bend the PVC to make a circle?  I've heard that some people try to heat it up to make it more pliable?

I have a 10' diameter circle painted on my lawn around the pole, so I know where the PVC should go, at least.  

Take the EMT back and get either rigid conduit or galvanized pipe or black pipe.  EMT will buckle like a cheap suit. 

The gray PVC will bend around just fine without heating it up as long as it is not super cold.  I think I remember cutting mine down a bit because I wanted a smaller circle, (9' each I think).  Don't remember exactly since it has been 4 years since I got it so don't rely on that info for the PVC..

Edited by plasmadrive
  • Like 1

Looking at CLS web site under 20ft Simple Mega tree, I found the text below.  (See underlined portion.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
20' Simple Mega Tree Lights going straight to ground

Create an amazing simple 20' tree that uses a hand crank to get your lights to the top. This 20' mega tree comes with a Download that will show you how to build this tree. This tree is using 64 strings of mini lights that are 25' long. The excess lights were pulled toward the center pole. You can use 64 strings and I recommend the least amount to use would be 48 strings.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you go back to the site, can you download it now?  If not, you may have to wait for them to contact you.

Jerry

Correction.  I think my 1 1/2" pipe for the stand are about 4' per side.

Thanks! Good save on the rigid conduit.

There is no link available when I log on to the website. Even if I go to my invoice on their site.

Tree is standing now, but do I just anchor the guy wires at the same distance as the pvc ring for my lights?

I did end up Using rigid conduit instead of EMP., for both the pole and the stand legs. Heavier, but much sturdier especially with the rotating 3 star topper I have on it.

I anchored the 4 guy wires at a 5' radius to level the pole out. This is the same distance my lights will be from the pole, as well. Was this the correct distance to anchor the guy wires?

I did end up Using rigid conduit instead of EMP., for both the pole and the stand legs. Heavier, but much sturdier especially with the rotating 3 star topper I have on it.

I anchored the 4 guy wires at a 5' radius to level the pole out. This is the same distance my lights will be from the pole, as well. Was this the correct distance to anchor the guy wires?

New Braunfels, I was there in June, can anybody say schlitterbaum??? Actually was staying in Buda!

no   15-20' radius

My center pole is 30' tall, i put my guy wires 20' apart from each other, im using a 16' base.

Mine is all home made, so it dosnt match your kit but maybe it will help.

20151121_154204_zpsypakpizc.jpg

Thanks to everyone who replied!  I finally got a link to the instructions from Darryl.   

My tree is up and finished.  Right now the guy wires are still only at 5' from center, but I plan on moving them out, one by one, once I finish hooking everything else up.  We had a lot of rain and wind the last couple nights, and the tree has been fine, so far.  But I'm still going to move the guy wires out to 10'.  Better to be safe than sorry, especially since the neighbor parks their car in the drive 10' away from my tree (Did I mention the tree is 20 feet?)  

I made sure to put one of the legs facing where he parks his car, so if it falls it won't go straight for his car.  lol!