Light-O-Rama Forums

RJ45 Connector Issues / RJ11 Question

randallr

When we plugged in all the new controllers back in November, we had a number of issues with CAT5 jacks. It seems that the springs just don't pop back up after unplugging... We got by for the season thanks to quick support from Dan, but whiile tearing down I'm wondering if I should do some tests of all the boards on bench (23).

But this brought up a question- I've never used the RJ11 jack- How does this work- I've read that you can use that after the first controller, but how do you daisychain with the telephone wire? Is there a performance hit using that port?

If that's a viable option, I'm not going to worry as much about the CAT5 jacks....

I think that you would use the RJ11 and the extra RJ45 jack to daisychain. If I remember correctly, one must always be an input (from computer side) and the other must be an output (to other controllers). I forget, though, which jack is which.

Edit: I seems as if the RJ11 jack must be the input from the previous controller.
http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/CMB16D_Man_Web.pdf
(page 4 of pdf)

Guest wbottomley

EthanP wrote:

Edit: I seems as if the RJ11 jack must be the input from the previous controller.
http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/CMB16D_Man_Web.pdf
(page 4)

That's correct. Telephone cable is made as a cross-over cable. Cat 5 usually is straight through. So... using telephone cable, the input will need to be conntected to the RJ11 jack. The output will be connected to the output.

So you're saying that they can only connect 2 controllers together with Rj11's. The controller can use any two of the three ports.. That might save the day in case of a bad jack though....

Guest wbottomley

It did this year. Controller 3 had a bad RJ45 input jack, so I made a piece of phone cable and connected it between 2 & 3. Worked flawless this year but will replace the jack on 3 so I can have my real data cable back.

What was the pin out between the controllers on RJ11 plug?

Mountainwxman wrote:

It did this year. Controller 3 had a bad RJ45 input jack, so I made a piece of phone cable and connected it between 2 & 3. Worked flawless this year but will replace the jack on 3 so I can have my real data cable back.