Light-O-Rama Forums

Problem with Dialog Boxes in Visualizer and SE

Ed K

In both Visualizer and Sequence Editor, dialog boxes have text that is scrunched up or running of the sides, making it so I can't read all of the text, and not always allowing me to click on a selection presented (i.e., the radio button is almost completely hidden.  Attached are a couple of examples.

My video driver is up-to-date as of last week.  The dialog boxes produced in SuperStar are just fine.  It's only Visualizer and Sequence Editor dialog boxes that are screwed up.

LOR's help desk says my Windows configuration is not correct for VB6, the programming language for Visualizer and Sequence Editor.  Apparently, my Windows configuration is correct for SuperStar, which is written in C++

I have a 64-bit Win7 laptop, with an Intel Core i7 processor, 6GB of RAM, and the latest video driver.

Has anyone else had this issue?  It's an odd condition because, like many laptop owners, I run all kinds of software on my laptop, and I have NEVER had any problem with dialog boxes or similar graphic problems.

Thanks.

Ed

post-16424-0-17568200-1448138651_thumb.p

post-16424-0-87849200-1448138678_thumb.p

• 2 weeks later...

Only thing I can think of is the control is using a font that you do not have on your system and the substitution selected isn't formatting properly for the radio button/check box drawing extents. i tried to replicate it and was not able to do so.

Howard,

LOR could not determine the cause or solution, so I did some research.  I determined what was causing Visualizer and SE (VB6 applications) dialog boxes that had font that was cropped, I found solution to fix it, and I implemented the solution successfully.

When Windows 7 and Vista are installed on a system that has a high resolution monitor, the display adapter detects this at the time of installation, and sets the display font size to 125%.  When you reset the font size to 100% (LOR's first suggested solution), it impacts VB6 code using MS Sans Serif. MS Sans Serif DISAPPEARS (yes, disappears) from the available font list.

To fix it, you need to add the following to the registry [open a blank text file and copy in the following between the lines of asterisks]:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionFonts]

“MS Sans Serif 8,10,12,14,18,24″=”SSERIFE.FON”

“MS Serif 8,10,12,14,18,24″=”SERIFE.FON”

“Courier 10,12,15″=”COURE.FON”

Save as FontFix.reg, or download it from http://blogs.msdn.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-PostAttachments/00-09-92-61-03/Font-Fix.zip.  Then unzip it, double click the file, and add it to the registry.

Log off and log on again.  When you look in the list of fonts, MS Sans Serif returns. (One character of the font's file name is changed from "F" to "E" to get this to work.)

I implemented this solution, and now my dialog boxes in LOR's VB6 based applications (Visualizer and Sequence Editor), and the font size is correct and dialog box is at it should be.

Ed

Howard,

LOR could not determine the cause or solution, so I did some research.  I determined what was causing Visualizer and SE (VB6 applications) dialog boxes that had font that was cropped, I found solution to fix it, and I implemented the solution successfully.

When Windows 7 and Vista are installed on a system that has a high resolution monitor, the display adapter detects this at the time of installation, and sets the display font size to 125%.  When you reset the font size to 100% (LOR's first suggested solution), it impacts VB6 code using MS Sans Serif. MS Sans Serif DISAPPEARS (yes, disappears) from the available font list.

To fix it, you need to add the following to the registry [open a blank text file and copy in the following between the lines of asterisks]:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionFonts]

“MS Sans Serif 8,10,12,14,18,24″=”SSERIFE.FON”

“MS Serif 8,10,12,14,18,24″=”SERIFE.FON”

“Courier 10,12,15″=”COURE.FON”

Save as FontFix.reg, or download it from http://blogs.msdn.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-PostAttachments/00-09-92-61-03/Font-Fix.zip.  Then unzip it, double click the file, and add it to the registry.

Log off and log on again.  When you look in the list of fonts, MS Sans Serif returns. (One character of the font's file name is changed from "F" to "E" to get this to work.)

I implemented this solution, and now my dialog boxes in LOR's VB6 based applications (Visualizer and Sequence Editor), and the font size is correct and dialog box is at it should be.

Ed

so it is a font substitution problem if i'm reading correctly.  Glad you got it fixed and working!

Resolution is 1920 x 1080.

It is a font issue, but no one knew what causes it nor how to fix it.  The cause is VB6 used with Windows 7 on a high resolution monitor.  The solution is a registry update.

Ed

Interesting. My design system configuration is 3 monitors, 2-1920x1200 and 1 - 1920x1080. Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7601 SP1 Build 7601. I have SLI NVIdia GeForce GTX580.

My Laptop configuration is different and I do not have the specs on it handy, but it has Windows 7 on it and I've never experienced the issue. All my windows install were fresh, no upgrades.

Was yours a Win7 upgrade from XP or Vista? Maybe it had some lingering components. Not that it matters since it works for you now, but I'm still curious as a software developer myself about strange combinations that cause problems.

Thanks!

I found it strange that no one else the LOR forum had the same problem.  I did find a number of developers online who did have the specific problem with a VB6 applications, Windows 7, and a high resolution monitor.  That is how I found the cause and solution.  The cause was very specific, and fit my situation exactly, and the solution was surgical -  rename the MS Sans Serif font that disappeared.

My laptop is 3.5 years old, and it came with Win7 installed (so not upgrade over a prior OS).  

Ed