Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR network configuration question

oilmoney

Hi, I was installing a purchased sequence and come across this in the readme file.

What's it mean?

Whats it do?

Do I have to list the last controller in it's physical location on the network or just the highest ID set for that network?

And what will happen if I don't do it? Just trying to understand why this is needed and if it a possible source of my signal lag, sorry for the useless post...

Just curious as I'm working on amazing grace which has alot going on and it ran flawless until I added the CCR tree to the sequence and I'm now experiencing lag. I was running 57.7 speed and I bumped it up to the next higher with no luck. I am running the red 485 adapters.

This is what I have for my network setup

Network regular: 1-4,11, 14-21 27-29, 2A, 2F, 1602's

5-0A CCR's

31 CMB24D

30 CCP's

Aux 1 network  0B-10 CCR's

12,1E,1F, CMB24D's

13, CCP's

2F,

Here's the configuration message:

Setting the Configuration dialog box
1) Launch the SuperStar Sequencer
2) Click on the “Tools” menu and select “Configuration”
3) Leave “Color Mode” set to “Balanced”
4) Leave “Smooth Ramps” unchecked
5) If you have a star then set “Unit ID of Star Controller” to the Unit ID of the 16 channel controller that controls you star. Note that the sequence uses the first 6 channels of this controller. The other 10 channels can be used for anything else.
6) Set “Unit ID of First Ribbon Controller” to the Unit ID of your first Cosmic Color Ribbon controller. Vertical displays should have the first ribbon on the left as you face the display. Horizontal displays should have the first ribbon on the bottom. You must have the Unit IDs in order. The first 32 Unit IDs are:
01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,0A,0B,0C,0D,0E,0F,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,1A,1B,1C,1D,1E,1F,20
Whichever Unit ID belongs to your first ribbon, the next ribbons must use the Unit IDs that follow it. Use the above list as a reference for what order the Unit IDs are in.
7) Set “Unit ID of First and Last Controller” of each network. If you have a 12 CCR sequence you should have two networks or the sequence will lag. Your first 6 CCRs should be in one network, and the last 6 CCRs should be in another network. 16 channel controllers do not put much of a load on a network so combine your 16 channel controllers in with the first 6 CCRs.
For example, if you had four 16 channel controllers and 12 CCR controllers you would do:
Standard Network First = 01 Last = 0A (Four 16 channel controllers and CCRs 1-6)
Auxiliary Network A First = 0B Last = 10 (CCRs 7-12)
If you had twenty 16 channel controllers and 12 CCRs and wanted to use three networks you could do:
Standard Network First = 01 Last = 14 (Twenty 16 channel controllers)
Auxiliary Network A First = 15 Last = 1A (CCRs 1-6)
Auxiliary Network B First = 1B Last = 20 (CCRs 7-12)
8) When you have entered all settings, click on the “OK” button in the Configuration dialog box

Thanks Don, I'll leave it at 500k. All my controllers are S3 or newer so I think i'm ok there.  I didn't change any of the settings in regards to how many controller ID's are after my CCR's as it didn't cause any lag last year. Do you think that could be the cause?

What I'm trying to rule out:

- Do the CCR's need to be first in order in the network physical lineup?

- Should I just create another network or two and throw 6 CCR's exclusively on each? Will it cause a problem if it's not one of the 500k adapters?

I don't think my channel count is that high that I should be lagging, the sequence perfromed flawlessly until I added the CCR's.  

Do I need to follow this to a tee?

" 7) Set “Unit ID of First and Last Controller” of each network. If you have a 12 CCR sequence you should have two networks or the sequence will lag. Your first 6 CCRs should be in one network, and the last 6 CCRs should be in another network. 16 channel controllers do not put much of a load on a network so combine your 16 channel controllers in with the first 6 CCRs.
For example, if you had four 16 channel controllers and 12 CCR controllers you would do:
Standard Network First = 01 Last = 0A (Four 16 channel controllers and CCRs 1-6)
Auxiliary Network A First = 0B Last = 10 (CCRs 7-12)
If you had twenty 16 channel controllers and 12 CCRs and wanted to use three networks you could do:
Standard Network First = 01 Last = 14 (Twenty 16 channel controllers)
Auxiliary Network A First = 15 Last = 1A (CCRs 1-6)
Auxiliary Network B First = 1B Last = 20 (CCRs 7-12) "

Thanks again Don!

• 2 months later...

Thank you for these excellent posts.  I hope to add a CCR screen this year and your comments were of great help.  I might even know what I am doing by the time they arrive. 

• The topic was locked