Light-O-Rama Forums

Standard Household LED Bulbs

captainron19

So I just bought a bunch of new candle blow molds and they only have a standard light socket at the top (in the flame). I plan on running at least 1 or 2 C9's in the body of the candle. Question is..... wondering if I should just remove the standard light socket at the top and make a string of 3 C9's (1 for flame and 2 for body) If I do keep the standard socket at the top has anyone used LED Light bulbs (kind you get at Home Depot for normal household use) and if so do they dim ok?

Just wondering because I just hooked up a 8.5 Watt LED bulb that provides the same brightness as a 60 watt and it is only pulling .10 amps on volt meter. Amperage calculator says it should only pull .08 (No biggie on the difference) but a standard 60 watt bulb will pull almost .50 amps. Not trying to be cheap just monitoring my amperage and trying to stay in the 80% of that circuit

I've had some incandescent fixtures I've used over the years, and replaces them all with led's

the power savings adds up if you have a lot

I currently have two "household" LED lights that are part of my year round landscape lighting display.  One is on the end of a wall and is primarily there as a security light.  It is far enough away from my display (and usually on the other side of my wife's van) that leaving it at 100% is not a problem.  It's been LOR controller with one of the old 8 channel CTB08 boards for about 2 years and is working fine.  The other is my front porch light.  It is controlled by an old CTB16-PC controller.  It makes enough light that during the evening hours it runs at 50% and overnight I drop it to 30%.  For my Christmas show last year I generally had it at 30% during the show.  After the Christmas season, I received two complaints that the porch light was too bright.  I had never thought about it, but they were right.  This year I have it down to 10% and through my show testing which started a week or so ago, it's working fine and is about the right light level IMHO.  I don't remember what the wall light is, but the porch light is a Cree 60W equivalent in a bright white color (I much prefer over the warm white incan) that I bought at Home Depot.

I also have almost every light in the house converted to LED now.  About the only ones that aren't are CFLs and those will be replaced with LEDs when the CFLs die.

I will go to LED as the CFLs fail in my house.  I use a 15 Watt regular bulb in my candles.  If you have a current issue you have no choice, but consider the cost difference.  I am not sure you can recover the cost of the LED in savings of electricity.  We are at .10 a Kw/hr in ky.  Assuming the LED drew no power and was $5.  I could run a 15 W regular bulb 150 days 7 x 24 to use $5.  About 20 years for me to break even.  I have a lot of plastic christmas stuff.  I still have c9 bulbs and 15w bulbs in most.

• The topic was locked