Light-O-Rama Forums
msturtz

Request for Insteon and/or Z-Wave

Since the CM11A is getting somewhat hard to find (ish), how about adding support for another X10-like interface to use for things like sign-light, porch/patio lights, indoor lighting...  street light...

Insteon has the advantage of working with X10 modules, but will also control Insteon modules over RF in addition to wired, and the modules are cheap (ish) and readily available.  Z-wave seems like the up-and-coming home automation technology, with a lot of module options, but is more expensive.

Thank you,

-Matt-

• Like 1

There's a company producing a Z-Wave board for RasberryPi (http://razberry.z-wave.me) for $59 (doesn't include the Pi, but the software image for it is free-as-in-beer).  The software provides a C level API, and a web-based JSON API.  They also sell a USB stick with Windows software.

Two options...  One option would be to make this be an E1.31 device, which LOR can directly talk to.  I'm guessing (without having used either Z-Wave or E1.31) that it would require an E1.31 stack, which does seem to be available, tied to their C API, and some extensions to the web GUI to associate Z-Wave devices with DMX channels.  The other option would be for LOR to integrate with the JSON API this device provides.  Either way, we would use the built-in web-GUI to build and maintain the Z-Wave network topology, so LOR doesn't have to handle that at all.

Light-O-Rama could even sell a rebranded Razberry type box.  This company does mention licensing/reselling.

I use z-wave to turn on my FM transmitter and power supplies and turn off my outside security lights and porch lights while the shows are running and then turn them back on after the show is over. But that's all done outside of LOR with my Vera home automation controller.

Thanks  David.  Does LOR talk to your Vera, or do you just have it timed?

I'm using X-10 to control window decorations.  They do turn on and off in the show, but not time-critical -- I have a "break", the window lights come on during that.

I would really love to do this using something newer than X10.  Z-wave would be fine, but something compatible with inexpensive off-the-shelf components.

-Matt-