Light-O-Rama Forums

Cool new moving head coming out

bhays

LightsByGreg wrote:

BHays: sounds like a pretty cool effect. Just not worth the cost for this application IMO.

Texan78: How do you make your own gobos?

Out of sheet metal and laser cutter at a friend of mine machine shop. You just take the old wheel out and measure it up to the new one. You also have to make sure you have the right measurement between it design on the wheel or it won't be center. Normally their is a notch where you slide the wheel on so you can only but the wheel back on one way so you know the gobos will be centered. Regardless you still have to cut them the correct distances between each other or they will not be centered.

They were not just real indepth gobos though, just simple cut outs that looked like Chrsitmas Trees, presents snowflakes, etc.

mmaness wrote:

Gobos To Go has a selection of pre-made ones with various holiday themes.

Those are glass Gobos and are used for a fixed design. So if you don't mind projecting the same image constantly then those would work. But those won't work with all fixtures though.

I ordered gobos from apollo, and told them my make and model, and got hte wrong size gobos. Make sure you check the actual dimensions listed in the manual!

BTW, Greg, prisms are cool. I got to mess with some $$ yokes with a friend, and it's awesoem what money can buy! lol. The gas discharge are definately the way to go. We don't have that, and it looks like JUNK next to a discharge...it's yellow vs. white!

What's fun, is taking a gobo, spinning it, then spinning the prism. Add on a spinning color wheel, and you're set for a rock concert! LOL we did that at our friend's concert (but it was for like 2 seconds) and it was sweet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

bhays wrote:

I try to do as professional and impressive a display as I can given available resources. Next season I will have 2 or 4 moving heads, 3 dmx snow machines and a 200mw laser (yes I am applying for a variance). When brought in for a few seconds at the appropriate time in sequences, I think it will be very impressive.

Is it a city ordinance requiring you to put in for a variance for a laser?

• 3 weeks later...

jstein wrote:

bhays wrote:
I try to do as professional and impressive a display as I can given available resources. Next season I will have 2 or 4 moving heads, 3 dmx snow machines and a 200mw laser (yes I am applying for a variance). When brought in for a few seconds at the appropriate time in sequences, I think it will be very impressive.

Is it a city ordinance requiring you to put in for a variance for a laser?

No, FDA.

http://www.jklasers.com/Variance/CDRH_Variance_Info.htm

Heck ya! I am quite happy with my cheap American DJ, DJ Spot 250. Halogen? Yes, but I got it for $400 and it provides some very nice effects for that. For 2008 it was not out in the yard but in a second story window doing some sweeps.

You can see it at the end of Sarajevo here:

I had most of my whites up at that point, all of the C9's on full and it's about as bright as I could get the display at that point. The 250 halogen Dj Spot wasn't washed out at all IMHO and I think it would have actually overpowered the rest of the display if it were any brighter.

So obviously, there's an application for both. If you have to be 40' back, out in the yard, sure the halogen lower watt units aren't going to cut it. But there's a time and place to use either one.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to create a BIG impression, why not try the TERMINATOR? Oh, wait.. that's my governor. Kidding aside, in my opinion, this moving heads are just for bars and discos and not for Christmas. I could wash my wall with a 100 LED light from ebay for $20 each. It has a dimmer(20-100) and it works well.

• The topic was locked