Light-O-Rama Forums

Shimmer vs Twinkle

krash.landing4@gmail.com

It might be easier just to see it: set a bunch of channels all to shimmer, hit play, and watch what the channel buttons do.  Then hit stop, set them all to twinkle, and watch the channel buttons again.  The channel buttons will not show you exactly what actual physical lights would do, but they will definitely give you the general idea.

With that said, here's an explanation of what they do:

Shimmer rapidly turns the channel on and off and does so at a constant rate (e.g. on for X time, off for X time, on for X time, all those times being exactly the same).  If two or more channels are both set to shimmer, they will shimmer in sync with each other (there may be some edge-case exceptions to that, but as a general rule they'll shimmer in sync with each other).

Twinkle not-quite-so-rapidly turns the channel on and off.   It does so randomly, not at a constant rate (e.g. on for X time, off for Y time, on for Z time, all those times likely being different).  If two or more channels are both set to twinkle, they'll each twinkle randomly without regards to what the other does.

In more simple terms:

Shimmer is soft of a strobing effect and twinkle a random light flashing.

Shimmer is much less noticeable on incandescents.

Edited by EmmienLightFan

Shimmer on LEDs looks like a seizure inducing strobing effect...lol. I'm not a fan of the shimmer but it does have its uses in some sequence areas

Tap your finger on the table quickly without any particular pattern, that's a twinkle. 

Do a drum roll, that's a shimmer.

• Like 1

IMO shimmer, used with LEDs, is one of the most dazzling effects out there.  I agree with ELF that shimmer is basically a waste of time and sequencing effort if using incans.  But when I want to make a statement, shimmer is definitely my go-to effect.

Don't find much use for twinkle, but shimmer and fading shimmer is really good for long guitar notes, bass lines etc.