Light-O-Rama Forums

Show burps and some weird stuff pops up

CLD Kevin

That is the same work around we are recommending right now for the 'Show get's to the end and then doesn't loop back' problem.

That Facebook group shows what happens when no one moderates a community. IMHO it's best to make a few customers mad (and possibly lose a few sales) than let things devolve like that ;)

Just in case anyone is wondering, we have NOTHING TO DO with that Facebook group at all.

Wow dude. People are frustrated. And who runs a business and doesnt care about losing a "few" sales? Would bet Dan cares...

I guess what I said and what it I thought I said came out two very different ways.

What I mean by loosing a few customers is by MODERATING our boards and removing the rude messages/members. Moderating a user usually get's them angry, and they storm off swearing to not ever purchase from us again.  But on the other hand you also need to look at the number of customers that person may have potentially scared off with their rude behavior.

IMHO it is MUCH better to keep an eye on our message boards and when necessary post-moderate people (prevent them from posting openly until someone approves their post because of a history of them being rude) then allow free reign - what we have seen in that Facebook group.  The people I am talking about are the ones that abusive to the other 99.9% of the customers here on the forum.  Not the ones reporting issues.

We do not moderate or come down on anyone for posting that there is an issue.  The ONLY time we have removed posts and/or members is for abuse.  No one has EVER been removed for criticism, they have been removed for abuse

What I am not saying (and I can see where it can be inferred because it was posted in this message thread which is about a problem) is that it is OK if we loose people due to a code problem, or problem with our hardware software.  

IN NO WAY should my message be taken that we think it is OK to loose a few customers due to this (or any other) problem.  .

We are taking this problem SERIOUSLY.  We are working on a solution and are not saying 'TOO BAD' to anyone who is having the issue.  We are not prepared to loose customers for a code or hardware problem.   My post was ONLY referring to the unmoderated nature (brutal was the word used) of Facebook vs the moderated nature of our forums and loosing a few customers because we don't allow them to abuse the rest of the community.

I hope what I said is more clear now.  I apologize to all of you who thought we were casting you off because of a problem or reporting a problem.

FYI....

Part of me really wants to hide that message of mine (and the following ones) since so many of you took it wrong - it is obviously not worded well.  However the other part of me wants to also says if I hide it I will be accused of trying to whitewash things.  

There's a recent post by "Dan Baldwin" in that group, and there's some thought that it may not be authentic. Can you confirm or deny that the real Dan Baldwin wrote that post?  If not, he should probably report the account to FB as an imposter.

I wouldn't expect an unofficial FB group to be moderated in the same way a vendor forum is. In general I hang out there to have some fun and hopefully help with some folk's issues along the way.

Haven't been on these 'official' forums (or any other forum for that matter) much at all in the past year or so but I do get on FB regularly so it's nice to have some contact with the community, even if it's dysfunctional lol.

I'll check with Dan.  Part of me says it is a fake since we have never been part of Facebook as a company.  On the other hand, Dan may have a facebook account and may have been posting something about us working on this issue for their benefit.  Thanks for letting us know.

Wow , having worked in customer service for the last 20 years I can't even understand someone saying that . Very good way to alienate those of us who are in the Facebook groups

In no way am I singling out you or anyone else who may be part of that Facebook group.  I know there are some very good people there, and not all of them are bad folks.  In fact, I would guess that a very large majority of people there are nice.   I am quite sure there is some good information there too.

That group however frequently has behavior in it that we feel has no place in our user community.  We won't tolerate name calling or rude behavior here.  If I read Kevin's message correctly, he called the nature of that group 'brutal'.  I agree.  

We don't (I guess better to say can't)  care what someone does there even if they are a member here.  They could use every 4 letter word in the book there, and since that community accepts it, that is fine.  On the other hand, if they do it here they would be moderated.  They can call newbies jerks, or infer that someone has their head up their backside there.  That isn't tolerated here.  (and in no way am I saying that you personally do ANY of that.  These are generalizations)

On the other hand there is no judgement from us if you like that group.  I'm sure there is something there that people like since it continues to exist.  It's OK to play the field.  We're not jealous.  We only ask that when you come to our house you wipe your feet :) 

Well as I expected my post was deleted. no where did I do anything but take offense to how you had written and the manner that it was written and  posted my feelings about it . People get very frustrated when they have money invested in an item for their display and when the lights go on it does not work. I do understand issues happen and that is why I chose not to use S4 this year because I just had absolutely no faith in it. And in my honest opinion it should not be that way. My remarks about people jumping ship that was my way of telling you guys they are starting to leave in droves. I am not here to cause any issues I like to help people out that are just getting started in this hobby, but I will also speak my mind openly. the sad thing is in the retraction that you posted no where in it could you you the phrase "I apologize to any one who took it the wrong way" and that could be the reason I may have used the words God complex and ego. yes you are a moderator here and have the power to put people in time out or boot them. but you have to remember one thing you are not above them, they are your customers and had I ever used that line at any of my work places I would have been sent for people skills training or been asked to clean out my desk. this is what it is and you are going to do what you do. but there are much better way to handle things than the way this was handled.   

I think you may have missed the last line of my post where I offered my apologies.

IMHO the apology that I gave is much more powerful than just 'sorry you took it the wrong way'.  That in my ears sounds very dismissive.  In fact it sounds as if I am blaming the reader - that it was they (you) that misinterpreted my words, not that I was at fault for what must be an awkwardly or otherwise poorly worded message .  

I took full responsibility for what I said and the discontent it caused, explained what I meant to say, and apologized to everyone who thought we didn't care about the problem.  I would think that all ads up to essentially 'I'm sorry you took it the wrong way".  If however it makes things better: yes I am sorry you took it the wrong way.

Other then someone mentioning they found a workaround on the LOR-UG group nobody was even TALKING about Facebook, so the little aside about that group was off topic at best and obviously caused frustrations to flare up even more.  Let's stick to the topic - getting to the bottom of this nasty bug. I'm still running S3 this season (for reasons that have nothing to do with my trust in LOR's upgrades and everything to do with my personal schedule this year) so I'm not affected, but as a developer I know these sorts of issues can be really frustrating to track down when you can't reproduce them in-house.  Has anyone been approached to send their entire show (all files, etc) so you guys have a chance of actually reproducing it?  I did that with a similarly-evil bug that was affecting a much smaller handful of us a few years back and Bob was able to reproduce it right away once he had my full configuration, which led to a proper fix.

And thanks for checking into whether the Dan Baldwin FB account is genuine or not.

Crazydave, are you the person who sent me an email entitled "I got chinese in my LOR Status window too", or a different person?

I too, have seen the chinese characters in my log. It doesn't seem to be affecting anything, but I'm curious as to why they're there.  Was the coding done in China? :P

Mike

Crazydave, are you the person who sent me an email entitled "I got chinese in my LOR Status window too", or a different person?I too, have seen the chinese characters in my log. It doesn't seem to be affecting anything, but I'm curious as to why they're there.  Was the coding done in China? :P Mike
It for sure affects your show....maybe you just didnt notice it. Right when the Chinese writing appears, your show locks up. Usually happens between songs and only for about 20secs then continues right where it stopped. No biggie of that was the extent of it, but sometimes it locks up longer and other bad stuff happens like bypassing songs. Only way to get it back on track is to reboot the software.

I have no problem sending the sequences so they could reproduce the same issue, however no one has asked for them. There should be no problem reproducing it as it has happen on every PC I've tried....and I've tried on at least 10 PCs. Bob has been responsive to my questions and looks like he is working on fix. We have tried several different things, but unfortunately none of them been successful....yet. There are 2 more options to try and going to do that in the morning. Once thing I'm a bit surprised about....the work around I posted earlier that I read on FB. Mike stated that was the recommended work around but first I've heard of it. No one has mention that to me at all? Chalk it up to an oversight. Something we will try tomorrow.

It for sure affects your show....maybe you just didnt notice it. Right when the Chinese writing appears, your show locks up. Usually happens between songs and only for about 20secs then continues right where it stopped. No biggie of that was the extent of it, but sometimes it locks up longer and other bad stuff happens like bypassing songs. Only way to get it back on track is to reboot the software.

I have no problem sending the sequences so they could reproduce the same issue, however no one has asked for them. There should be no problem reproducing it as it has happen on every PC I've tried....and I've tried on at least 10 PCs. Bob has been responsive to my questions and looks like he is working on fix. We have tried several different things, but unfortunately none of them been successful....yet. There are 2 more options to try and going to do that in the morning. Once thing I'm a bit surprised about....the work around I posted earlier that I read on FB. Mike stated that was the recommended work around but first I've heard of it. No one has mention that to me at all? Chalk it up to an oversight. Something we will try tomorrow.

OK, I'll play closer attention tonight. I'm still curious as to why we have chinese characters showing up for what I assume is an error message.

Mike

There are at least 4 different posts on this forum referring to the Chinese characters and other miscellaneous errors happening with the show scheduler.  It does get a little confusing trying to read all of the different posts for the same issue.

Mark

A bug fix release has been made (release announcement here) that hopefully addresses the "Invalid play state" issue and the "Chinese text" issue. 

IMPORTANT: This release is based on the current production code, which is version 4.2.  If you're currently using the beta (version 4.3), we recommend that you do NOT install this release.  Instead, please wait for the similar changes to be made in the beta 4.3 branch (we intend to make the corresponding beta 4.3 release fairly soon).  If you cannot wait, though, make sure that you uninstall 4.3 before installing 4.2.

Bob sent me files morning with modified versions of the LORTray and LORMonitor. Yesterday the LORMonitor didn't have the 4G patch and had serious issues. Also running Monitor Memory to help with decaching.

At this moment we have been running for 2hrs and working perfectly so far.

I also want to say THANK YOU to Bob and the whole Light-O-Rama team for getting on this.  My show is now running normally (so far).

Mark

I'll check with Dan.  Part of me says it is a fake since we have never been part of Facebook as a company.  On the other hand, Dan may have a facebook account and may have been posting something about us working on this issue for their benefit.  Thanks for letting us know.

I asked Dan and that is NOT HIM.  According to him he has NEVER posted on Facebook ever.  You can consider the person a fake.

Bob...sent you an email.

Unfortunately it happen to us again at the 5:15hr marker. However, no Chinese writing....just log whipped out and started over. We don't know if the show hung at this point or exactly what happen because log is gone. We are running the test again and will have someone watch for it. See if the show actual stops or just log whips.

Edited by CLD Kevin