Light-O-Rama Forums

outdoor speakers

JRF

My amps are Pyle also, and the speakers look like the round green "flat mushroom" shaped speakers that you may have seen at Disneyland. Most of the "stem" of the mushroom is buried and the "head" of the mushroom is about four inches above dirt level. If I remember, they are about 11 inches in diameter. They have been installed for about five years.

Sent from my Droid Turbo via Tapatalk, so blame any typos or spelling errors on Android

I use a 10 year old surround sound stereo amp and 4 outdoor speakers from Mono Price paired with an FM transmitter. Works great for my purposes.

On 9/22/2016 at 11:11 PM, BMurray said:

I use a 10 year old surround sound stereo amp and 4 outdoor speakers from Mono Price paired with an FM transmitter. Works great for my purposes.

I use a cheap ($29), fairly new FM radio boom box, with an external speaker attached via the 3.5mm port, which picks up the signal from my Whole House 3.0 FM transmitter. The boom box is 10 feet from my FM transmitter, though a wall is between them.  

Any suggestion for reducing/eliminating the static?  My car radio also has static from the transmitted signal, but that static disappears at about four places as I drive slowly down my street.  I think this is called "fencing", but what do I know.

9 hours ago, Ed K said:

I use a cheap ($29), fairly new FM radio boom box, with an external speaker attached via the 3.5mm port, which picks up the signal from my Whole House 3.0 FM transmitter. The boom box is 10 feet from my FM transmitter, though a wall is between them.  

Any suggestion for reducing/eliminating the static?  My car radio also has static from the transmitted signal, but that static disappears at about four places as I drive slowly down my street.  I think this is called "fencing", but what do I know.

I replaced the Whole House transmitter last year with CZH-05B with the rubber duckies. Static - gone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mega Arch said:

I replaced the Whole House transmitter last year with CZH-05B with the rubber duckies. Static - gone.

Thanks.  Is this from Rangestar?

• 11 months later...
On 9/6/2016 at 10:57 AM, DisneyMatt10 said:

I have an outdoor radio tuned to the station for the lightshow so those neighbours walking through the neighborhood can hear the music, and those in their cars can tune to the station. To me that's been the easiest way to get music heard by those just walking through the neighborhood. 

~Matt

What radio would be recommended for outdoor use?  I'm looking for for one that I can leave outdoors in the rain/snow/cold for the same purpose that I can leave plugged in for 6 - 7 weeks, and can't seem to find a waterproof one.  I'd probably put it on our covered front porch, and also cover it with something else too.

On 9/22/2017 at 6:57 AM, caniac said:

you just need this, going on five years using it here.

https://www.wowlights.com/ProductDetail.asp?Category=24&Product=513

Thanks for the suggestion.  Looks like I can connect it directly to the miniDirector in my ShowTime Central box because the audio cable connecting miniDirector to the FM transmitter has an extra jack for a 2nd audio cable.  $200 is a bit more than I can spend on a speaker at the moment, but might buy it if I can find it cheaper somewhere else.  Or I might look for a cheaper similar speaker.

Question...when you cut power to your speaker, does it "remember" the previous volume setting that was used?  Or do you have to reset it every time your LOR setup powers up?

37 minutes ago, Speedster said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  Looks like I can connect it directly to the miniDirector in my ShowTime Central box because the audio cable connecting miniDirector to the FM transmitter has an extra jack for a 2nd audio cable.  $200 is a bit more than I can spend on a speaker at the moment, but might buy it if I can find it cheaper somewhere else.  Or I might look for a cheaper similar speaker.

Question...when you cut power to your speaker, does it "remember" the previous volume setting that was used?  Or do you have to reset it every time your LOR setup powers up?

it's well worth the investment, made for outdoor use and packs a punch.  Knobs on back are manual set so whatever it was previously on it keeps.  The price scared me a bit at first but like I posted I have been running it five years now thru some brutal Nebraska winters with no issues.  If you divide the years by the cost then it's $40 per year.  I use both it and a transmitter (some folks prefer to sit in their car and listen).

56 minutes ago, caniac said:

it's well worth the investment, made for outdoor use and packs a punch.  Knobs on back are manual set so whatever it was previously on it keeps.  The price scared me a bit at first but like I posted I have been running it five years now thru some brutal Nebraska winters with no issues.  If you divide the years by the cost then it's $40 per year.  I use both it and a transmitter (some folks prefer to sit in their car and listen).

Same here, I'll use the FM transmitter that came with ShowTime Central since most people passing by our house will be in their cars.  So whatever speaker I end up buying will be for the benefit of the people who walk (with or without a dog) or jog regularly on our street, even in December.  I found a few sites selling that Yorkville outdoor speaker for $149.99 so I might buy one in a few weeks when I get my next paycheck.  I would have been able to order one right now if I didn't spend over $200 on more LED lights at Menard's yesterday lol!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedster said:

Same here, I'll use the FM transmitter that came with ShowTime Central since most people passing by our house will be in their cars.  So whatever speaker I end up buying will be for the benefit of the people who walk (with or without a dog) or jog regularly on our street, even in December.  I found a few sites selling that Yorkville outdoor speaker for $149.99 so I might buy one in a few weeks when I get my next paycheck.  I would have been able to order one right now if I didn't spend over $200 on more LED lights at Menard's yesterday lol!

I feel your pain, I switched to RGB this year for most of my lights.  And then threw a P10 matrix on top of that.  Gonna have to squeeze 15 cents out of every dime going forward.

The Wowlights solution combines all this into 1 package

Outdoor Speaker

Audio (power) amplifier

Audio Preamp (Mic input)

If you are using a FM transmitter on the same program  for those in Vehicles)

You might use a FM receiver  in a simple ventilated shelter  Walls and a roof with a gap between the walls and roof, that lets heat escape

On 9/25/2016 at 3:06 PM, Ed K said:

Thanks for tip and URL. I'll order it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember to set you show computer volume to around 75% and the transmitter output to around 25%.  That seems to be the magic numbers for nice clean transmissions that will go at least four blocks in any direction.  Bought a Whole House transmitter and returned it three days later, couldn't even broadcast to the end of my driveway (30').

11 hours ago, Vince4xmas said:

How far from your audio amplifier do you have the FM transmitter? Mine currently has noise issues?

10feet, noise may be coming from the source so tinker with cranking down the volume to 60% and see if that makes a difference.  The quality of the cable from your show computer to your amp/transmitter does matter, should be shielded.

Ground loops are the bane of residential (coax) Audio . the source and the Amp need to be plugged into the same circuit.

NB Commercial equipment uses 'balanced (600ohm) inputs, fed with 2 cond shielded

If common circuit is difficult, look for an Audio line Isolation Transformer (this is the one I got many years ago from RS)

https://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-System-Isolator-Electric-reducer/dp/B002YGM5D8?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffsb-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B002YGM5D8

• Like 1

I have a splitter cable hooked from the audio output of my LOR G3-MP3.

One side goes to FM transmitter and the other to my audio amplifier (speakers hooked to this).

Do I relocate the amplifier further away using a longer 3.5mm headphone cable?

Thanks