Light-O-Rama Forums

outdoor speakers

JRF

I use PC speakers in boxes. They sound great at reasonable volumes. I turned it up for Halloween and it sounded awful. The boxes muffle the sound.

For Christmas I may add a horn speaker and maybe some outdoor speakers.

I was looking at some cheap outdoor speakers made by "Bass Face" on Amazon.

If these are not the ones I'm using, they are really close.  Obviously permanently installed in my application. I have four of these in my front yard.  Driven by four channels of 75W per channel amplifiers.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tic-omnispeaker-gs3-outdoor-speaker-8ohm-surface-mount-green/3420393.p?id=1218401507088&skuId=3420393

I purchased some outdoor rock speakers my first year. Tied to an amp in the garage, running off the FM Transmitter frequency. They sound great and produce a decent sound level and sound frequencies. Only when they get wet from rain, does the sound quality reduce at all, the rest of the time, they sound great. If I cranked up the volume, I could probably blast the neighborhood with sound.

I just use regular indoor speakers hooked up to my computer. I put them in plastic bags, rains here in Florida. Never had a problem and the sound is good enough to hear on the street but not to drive the neighbors crazy.

I still use one speaker for the yard at a lower level because I started using the FM transmitter for cars driving by.

i picked up a nice set of keenwood speakears at the thrift store stuck them inside a storage container they set back about six inches then stuck a piece of cheese cloth across the font and duct tape that on . i lean the boxes slightly fowared so if any water does get in, it will drain out. they have been in major rain storms and have stayed dry. picked up the speakers for 20.00

Edited by kingfish

I have been using these for over 5 years now...better sounding than Bose and half the price...

http://speakerscollection.com/polk-audio-atrium-6-speakers-pair-black/

Just remember...the visual of your display is just half the experience...sound quality is the other half...

Edited by jimswinder

Wow thanks everyone great info! I have been bit by the bug...

They have some ointment for it at Walgreens...

• Like 2

Don't buy these speakers:
https://www.audio-unlimited.com/product/spk-velo-003
I use the miniDirector and therefore I wanted everything to come on by 1 timer.
So I bought these Indoor/Outdoor powered speakers.
They sound fine at yard volume, but they have 2 problems.
1) They are dumb. When the timer comes on, these speakers don't remember they were on when the timer last kicked off.
The remote doesn't work on them until you push the buttons on the speakers --- everyday when I get home!!
2) They claim indoor/outdoor. But after you break the seal, you read "move speakers indoors when weather conditions are extreme"... Humm.. Snow, ice, rain, tornadoes - we had it all last year.
That's why I made the show board and mount it over the front door. It's weather protected (& drives my wife crazy...).

showboard_zps9d80ce80.png

Don't buy these speakers:

https://www.audio-unlimited.com/product/spk-velo-003

I use the miniDirector and therefore I wanted everything to come on by 1 timer.

So I bought these Indoor/Outdoor powered speakers.

They sound fine at yard volume, but they have 2 problems.

1) They are dumb. When the timer comes on, these speakers don't remember they were on when the timer last kicked off.

The remote doesn't work on them until you push the buttons on the speakers --- everyday when I get home!!

2) They claim indoor/outdoor. But after you break the seal, you read "move speakers indoors when weather conditions are extreme"... Humm.. Snow, ice, rain, tornadoes - we had it all last year.

That's why I made the show board and mount it over the front door. It's weather protected (& drives my wife crazy...).

showboard_zps9d80ce80.png

Why did you buy wireless speakers? I think those speakers are only to be temporarily used outdoors. They are more for parties and things than permanent outdoor sound. 

I have the grey sharper image version of those. Mine had the same issues as above. But were out in all kinds of NYC winter weather. Outside of a little rusting on the edges they held up fine. I went and picked up a better pair from Richards on clearance and am very happy with them so far.

Will post make and model later after work.

Edited by Cdanna77