Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Assignments

Jeff Messer

I am sure I know this answer but I needed to ask. Is there a way to assign the dmx channels that are in the 16 channel controllers? 

Jeff  - BTW I thinks the answer is NO...

Jeff in the DMX mode the unit id controls the starting channel number for the controller and it would use the next 16 channels from that number.  To changed the starting dmx address change the unit id (LOR has a list of the channel ID to unit ID listing)  You can not assign the individual 16 channels to different dmx channels. 

Edited by jerrymac

Correct and I fully understand the ID number sets the dmx channels. Is there a way to edit the DMX channels? Reason

I have been using LOR for 9 or 10 years now. My sequences and channel layout are all over the place and not programmed as 16 channels for each box in the sequence. If I use the channel its there if I dont its removed. This goes the same for the boxes.Skipped boxes and channels maybe due to a bad channel or removal of a prop.

LOR on my good machine showed lag when playing it back so I have attempted to play it in another software. The lms files will not import in due to the skipped channels and boxes correctly. 

Jerry, I am down at Bobby's installing the show if you want to pop in and discuss the issue. Maybe even help install like you have done in the past couple years. LOL

Jeff- PS.. I know many will stay use the PE in LOR but there was no information or videos on this when I started programming my show for this year. 

If I am not mistaken... the DMX address is the ID - 1... so ID 2 would be DMX 1.  Is that correct? 

Also, how high of an ID can you set on the LOR controllers?  I think I read somewhere that they will only go to 240.  If that is true than you can't assign any higher DMX starting channels and that leaves about 1/2 of them out.

You may want to consider attempting to address the root cause of the lag issue that's leading you to want to do this.  If you would like, please send me (bob@lightorama.com) an email with the following information:

(1) Your forum username.

(2) This thread's URL, which is:

forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/37792-dmx-assignments/

(3) Output of the LOR Diagnostic program.

(4) Output of the LOR Verifier program.

(5) An example sequence that suffers from lag.

(6) Approximate time/channel range in that sequence where lag happen.

Thanks for the offer Bob. To late for me to dive into it this year. Around 30k of channel getting real busy at a point that the visualizer paused and several sequences it slowed way down and then caught back up. It really shows itself when I push video on the pixels on the matrix roof. I never got the PE to work for me so it can not help me this year. 

Plasma, The dmx assignment are controller 1 is DMX channels 1 to 16 and controller 2 is 17 to 32 and so on. My troubles came in when you get to controller 10 right after 9. It should had been 0A instead mine was 10. 

So I wanted to take controller 10 and assign it the DMX ports of 0A controller. Instead The channel config had to be rebuilt and assigned to each sequence again. This years show cause me to step out of the box a little on the software side.

controller number are in hex decimal not digital.  so the next number in order from 9 is 0A.  10 is there but it is # 17 in decimal speak.  11 is 18 etc until 19 and the next is 1A.

Yes Jerry, I numbered mine 9.10 and so on. This caused me the issue so I was wondering if I woulkd be able to change the set DMX values in the LOR controllers to anything I needed it to be. Instead Andy spend hours recreating a new LCC to lay on top of mine. Only 9 controller to change..

You got that right Jerry. I am coming over to Madison tomorrow and start working on the yard Sat and Sun. If you have time come on down. You still got my cell number.. I have a feeling you will be shocked. LOL

Madison, Florida..... Thanks for stopping by Jerry. I am sure you will be back when we fire this place off. Keeping my fingers crossed.....

• 3 weeks later...

Here we are again with a bad port on the controller that will require me to either change the whole controller or reassign one port for all 23 sequences. I have 4 open channels on that controller and 5 hours from the show. Being able to move the dmx channel would greatly help me with this issue. One change in the controller verses hours on the phone. haha

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Messer

• The topic was locked