Light-O-Rama Forums

Annoying 'shortcut' while drawing an image

Softball Shawn

I run SS on a laptop with a touchpad and am occasionally and unknowingly triggering what I can only describe as a 'shortcut'. When in image mode I will be creating something and while dragging and drawing something and then BOOM, the entire grid will change to whatever color I am using thus deleting the image I was creating. 

First I would like to know what it is that I am unknowingly doing to trigger this.

Second I would like to know how to disable this.

Anyone have this happen?

Not sure but I'll venture a guess. If you inadvertently hold your finger still on the pad for a gazzllionth of a second too long, it will take that as a double click.

Depending on the laptop, you may be able to turn off that behavior in the settings.

It is not the double click. I can double click all day and nothing happens. I have actually tried to duplicate the problem so that I know what I am doing to trigger this action but I'll be damned if I can duplicate it.

Another question, maybe I can work backwards. What keyboard/mouse action would I need to do to select and fill all on the grid?

It is not the double click. I can double click all day and nothing happens. I have actually tried to duplicate the problem so that I know what I am doing to trigger this action but I'll be damned if I can duplicate it.

Another question, maybe I can work backwards. What keyboard/mouse action would I need to do to select and fill all on the grid?

control +  left mouse click

Ctrl + left mouse click will fill with the current color

Ctrl + right mouse click will clear everything to black.

In the next release I have added a message box that asks if you are sure you want to clear all the pixels. If you want to test out the new code that does that, send me an email:  brian@superstarlights.com

Brian,

I gotcha on the Ctrl + left/right click but the original problem that I am having is still occurring and I am no where near the CTRL button when this happens. I will have one/two fingers on the touchpad and BOOM, everything is filled and the image that I am creating is gone.

I don't know why that is happening. I just tried doing all the different kinds of left mouse clicks there are, single click, double click, click and drag, and it never fills the image.

Please try the latest beta release:

Release announcement here.

Brian,

I gotcha on the Ctrl + left/right click but the original problem that I am having is still occurring and I am no where near the CTRL button when this happens. I will have one/two fingers on the touchpad and BOOM, everything is filled and the image that I am creating is gone.

Check the properties of the touchpad. The touch usually can be adjusted to increase or decrease the sensitivity...
  • Like 1

Brian,

I gotcha on the Ctrl + left/right click but the original problem that I am having is still occurring and I am no where near the CTRL button when this happens. I will have one/two fingers on the touchpad and BOOM, everything is filled and the image that I am creating is gone.Check the properties of the touchpad. The touch usually can be adjusted to increase or decrease the sensitivity...

I found with other programs I use that if you look at other properties on your computer outside of SS, you will find shortcut commands you can trigger unknowingly.

(e.g. Your mouse pad settings may have a shortcut for Ctrl + Left/Right that is activated when you touch a certain area or make a certain motion. Same goes for mouse settings, and even keyboard settings)

Look in all of these other areas and disable everything you don't use - not just the Ctrl + settings.

I had this problem with another program and something as simple as tab or paste was giving me unexpected results because of a Wacom drawing tablet settings or MS office settings.

And if it is this situation, nobody here is going to be able to directly help you unless they have your exact hardware and software installed.

Give it a try a good luck hunting for it!!

I found with other programs I use that if you look at other properties on your computer outside of SS, you will find shortcut commands you can trigger unknowingly. (e.g. Your mouse pad settings may have a shortcut for Ctrl + Left/Right that is activated when you touch a certain area or make a certain motion. Same goes for mouse settings, and even keyboard settings) Look in all of these other areas and disable everything you don't use - not just the Ctrl + settings. I had this problem with another program and something as simple as tab or paste was giving me unexpected results because of a Wacom drawing tablet settings or MS office settings. And if it is this situation, nobody here is going to be able to directly help you unless they have your exact hardware and software installed. Give it a try a good luck hunting for it!!

You sir are awesome. I went into the clickpad settings and it had every setting under the sun (two finger tap, two finger click, three finger, four finger, two finger wide, etc.). I removed all of them except for the essential/every day ones and the problem disappeared. Still not sure what specific action that I was doing but whatever I was doing was getting translated in SS to 'fill all'.

Thank you!

• Like 1

You sir are awesome. I went into the clickpad settings and it had every setting under the sun (two finger tap, two finger click, three finger, four finger, two finger wide, etc.). I removed all of them except for the essential/every day ones and the problem disappeared. Still not sure what specific action that I was doing but whatever I was doing was getting translated in SS to 'fill all'.

Thank you!

You're very welcome! Hopefully your sequence works out to be every thing you hoped for! I have a 12 CCR tree and will get in to SS programming from scratch for myself starting next year. Cheers! Jay

Edited by Jay Czerwinski