Light-O-Rama Forums

Praying for some help from the Pixel Gods(all you fine rgb gurus)

Danbo1998

I am having some issues with my setup. I have used regular controllers and Light o rama for several years and this year I decided to up my game.  I did some research and ended up buying a package from Creative Lighting Displays.  Here is the kit I bought..

http://store.creativelightingdisplays.com/CLD-16-RGB-Smart-Strips-WS2811-Package-ReadyToGO-CLD-16STRIP-PKG.htm

I want to preface my confusion with the fact that I am an IT guy in my day job so I am pretty handy with computers and I am a DJ/sound & lighting tech on the side so I am decent with DMX.  My confusion is this...

The kit contains 16 Strips of LEDs that contain 150 pixels each and each pixel needs 3 channels of DMX for RGB.

My math makes that 7200 channels of DMX or 14 universes.  After receiving it, with no instructions, I reading that the controller would only run 6120 channels and 12 universes.  Is my thinking wrong? I cant imagine a vendor selling a kit that contains over 1000 pixels that wont be able to be run by the controller right?

Either way, I am looking for a good walkthrough video or document to help me get this thing setup.  I am more than willing to make a very nice instructional video on how to set it up but I'm getting super frustrated right now. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan Bogart

Barberton Area Jaycees

Chrismas Light Project Chairman

I have a similar setup from Holiday Coro. Each strip has (150) LEDs. Every (3) LEDs is (1) pixel. So...each strip has (50) pixels. for a grand total of (2,400) channels. Also use (2) power supplies. (1) for each bank Universe 1-8 and 9-16

Did you buy the optional setup help for$25.00 if you did'n't look on the web for operating manual for the E682 controller for San Devices it will give you all the info you need to set up the strings in the controller

Danbo, it looks like your strips are 150 LEDs, making it 50 pixels (groups of 3 LEDs per pixel)...same as BMurray had mentioned. To get the colors right through all universe's your channel count will max at 510 rather than the normal 512 allowed for DMX. Once the channel count is set on the 682 it should only need 5 universe's for all 16 strips. As Dennis said, if you haven't gotten the 682 manual yet, go get it from San devices website, it holds all the info you need.

Danbo, it looks like your strips are 150 LEDs, making it 50 pixels (groups of 3 LEDs per pixel)...same as BMurray had mentioned. To get the colors right through all universe's your channel count will max at 510 rather than the normal 512 allowed for DMX. Once the channel count is set on the 682 it should only need 5 universe's for all 16 strips. As Dennis said, if you haven't gotten the 682 manual yet, go get it from San devices website, it holds all the info you need.

If its 16 strips, its 16 universes. I had exactly the same strips last year, but 24 of them. I never used the E682 but 2 Joshua P12R's, 12 universes each.

It does depend on your comptroller and specific configuration. With the 682 if only running one controller and grouping universes, setting each universe to max at 510 channels for 2400 channels equates to 4.7 universes, thus the 5 universes.

It does depend on your comptroller and specific configuration. With the 682 if only running one controller and grouping universes, setting each universe to max at 510 channels for 2400 channels equates to 4.7 universes, thus the 5 universes.

Quote from BMurray

I have a similar setup from Holiday Coro. Each strip has (150) LEDs. Every (3) LEDs is (1) pixel. So...each strip has (50) pixels. for a grand total of (2,400) channels. Also use (2) power supplies. (1) for each bank Universe 1-8 and 9-16 

I HAVE A 30 STRING PIXEL TREE EACH STRING HAS 45 PIXELS I HAVE A JOUSHA SYSTEMS P12 controller I put 3 strings per universe so I use 10 universes each string is connected in line you have to use zig zag configuration  I hope this helps you Danbo 1998

Danbo,

I bought the exact same kit as you....it's a 5 universe setup. Took me awhile to get my tired old brain around that, but you'll find Kevin at CLD is awesome as far as support goes. I am running unicast and everything works great. If you need, I can take some pics of the configuration and email to you. Lemme know.