Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixels? Programming sequence editor? Confused

BlackwolfK9

Last year I added dumb RGB to my shows.  This year I'm going to add Smart Pixels, but don't have may arms around how to program them in sequence editor.  For example, if I have a 50 pixel string that I want to add (assume I have all the right controllers, etc)  will each of the 50 pixels appear in the sequence editor so that I can decide when each pixel is on/off/blinking etc.  That seems extremely tedious. Am I confused or does the the S4 software make this easier?  Sorry to be so dumb since this is my 3rd year with LOR.

I tried programming in the SE, and as you said it was real tedious.  At least for me. I got SuperStar and it went a lot faster and less head aches. Once you get the hang of SuperStar. And once you start adding pixels, it makes it a lot easier.

Now again, this is  only my option.  I don't know about S4, as I will be waiting until after this season is over to upgrade.

Use the Pixel Editor or Super Star Sequencer program the smart pixels. With dumb pixels or strips it's only 3 channels per string or strip. ONE EACH for red, green, and blue. With smart pixels or strips it has 3 channels PER pixel. Which on average is 150 CHANNELS per string or strip.

Simple stuff can be done with pixels in SE, but anything complex is FAR easier with either SuperStar or Pixel Editor. I did my Halloween show in SE, but it's very straight forward. Although there are 425 pixels, it's all straight line segments and only have fades and chases. For my pixel tree and pixel star I have used SuperStar for the last 4 years and. So far I have played with Pixel Editor, but not used it for real stuff. Maybe next year..

Learn pixel editor or download X lights and use that. Both are developed by the same people but operate in completely different manners. I attempted to use the pixel editor when it first came out and there was no documentation. The software is not very intuitive and when I got it to work nothing worked as it should. I didn't have the time or patience To deal with something that was that confusing to operate. (I wasn't alone on that opinion). I used x lights but I plan on trying pixel editor again now that there's more documentation. Either one of these software choices will make your life very easy once you learn them

• The topic was locked