Light-O-Rama Forums

Someone turn on the lights!!

dburg30

Brand new newbie here, that's totally in the dark.. :P

Just wanted to stop and say howdy, have the software and have been playing with it, just trying to decide how many channels to start off with..

Guest wbottomley

Some good advice... look at some shows that have 16 channels then 32 channels and so on. Then determine how much work you want to do in the first year. Don't overload yourself because the burn-out factor will set in on year two.

Oh, I'm usually one of those that jumps in with both feet, without looking to see if there is even any water in the pool..

I've been meaning to ask you, where along the parkway are you, I love the area around Asheville; the Biltmore, Mt Mitchell, Chimney Rock etc..

I do appreciate all your help here and on PC getting me installed and such :P, I just tend to have a very sarcastic humor in me, and sometimes it comes off wrong. One of my many flaws..

PS, I guess it would be smart to start out with a 16 channel tostart with, but you limit yourself, IMO, and only my opinion when you have 16. I guess thinking of the chasing trees, or the larger tree that has the 'laser' effect when you do one strand at a time, I know those take time to sequence, but things like that seem that you would use them a lot and would do a fair amount of cutting and pasting for those effects..

Perhaps I'm wrong on those types of things.

While you are limited with only 16 channels, for a first year person I wouldn't say that's a bad thing. There are some people that get multiple units, then a few days into it get all frusterated because they can't program worth a darn.

Many newbies do wonderful things with 16 channels, to the point that it's tough to see that only 16 channels are in use.

Whether you go into your first year with 16, 48, or 304 channels, is up to you. Dan's company isn't going away anytime soon, and the best part of watching your display in action is thinking about what you can do to improve upon it for next year.

jeffandnicole wrote:

and the best part of watching your display in action is thinking about what you can do to improve upon it for next year.

That is something to keep in mind, good point.

Yea, had thought of that already, but a good point to bring up :D

I'm just trying to form in my mind what I want to do. See, I have a HUGE wide open side yard (well nice size, the side yard I have is about 3 acres ;). The house is actually a little harder to see clearly from the road, I sit close to the road, on a curve with another road intersecting. So we have fairly thick bushes / trees along the road to a) cut down on headlights and :D to try to slow down people if they happen to take the corner a little fast and go off the road!! So my best bet would be to make the display in the yard, and maybe display the house, but not primarily.

Also have a flag pole I had thought about using as a tree during the season, but it's closer to the house, so you'd only see it thru the trees (you can see thru them easily this time of year, but still not 'pretty'.

Well, I have ordered a 16 channel PC kit and the USB adapter. So when that shows up, I'll be ready to start working with it, and seeing exactly how it works :P. Now, if 1-2 weeks would go by so the controller ships ;).

This will be worse then waiting for Xmas morning to show up.

You will have fun ! I ordered one around mid December and a CTB16K kit was here within a week. I was even impressed with quality of packing and boxes not to mention the excellent instructions. They were only printed in my native language so I didn't have to wade through a huge manual full of garbage I couldn't read !

Best of Luck

Darin