Light-O-Rama Forums

Drones Registering

Plumber Plays with Lights

Was watching the news this morning. Saw the government wants hobby drone users to register with the transportation dept. to operate drones. Just a fyi. They were going to start the New rules around thanksgiving.

I did that hobby a few years ago building my own hex. There was talk back then about regulations coming. Too many people get stupid with them. If the spinning blades touch you it is like being touched by a food processor. Flying them directly above people is very dangerous.

They did the same thing with powered parachutes about 10 years ago and it put all of the guys selling them out of business. One of my former employers used to sell them. They now require a pilots license to operate them.

Good. Too many idiots out there that don't have the common sense to fly responsibly. I've been flying Phantoms for almost 2 years now... I've seen others fly these things waaaaay too high, or waaaaay too fast & on the edge of control when over people. I'm glad they're starting to crack down. Too many people just have no freaking sense when they get into these things. 

Good. Too many idiots out there that don't have the common sense to fly responsibly. I've been flying Phantoms for almost 2 years now... I've seen others fly these things waaaaay too high, or waaaaay too fast & on the edge of control when over people. I'm glad they're starting to crack down. Too many people just have no freaking sense when they get into these things. 

Do you really think this will help.  Millions of drones out there.. a relatively small about of people being stupid.. so go after everyone... Yeah.. that will help..  How about they go after the stupid people? 

I'm thinking with the number of drone sightings near airports, they're trying to go after the stupid people.

Sadly, I think this is a case of stupid people going to define an entire industry. 

This is going to be like the gun laws they are trying to pass. The ones that are following the rules will register but the stupid people are still going to be stupid. Unfortunately new laws won't fix stupid people or criminals.

This sounds like another case of the weakest link setting the pace. I fly giant scale RC planes doing 3d aerobatics close to the ground. But I do this at a designated flying field under controlled conditions to be safe. The regulations they put on these drones might eventually affect me as well. I'm not sure how they plan on enforcing this with all the drones out there most of the stupid people aren't going to bother to register. It's almost like gun regulation if you were to outlaw guns only outlaws will own guns. By the way there are rules and regulations for safe operation of drones done by the AMA America model Association. I'd be willing to bet most of the people causing the problem aren't members.

Do you really think this will help.  Millions of drones out there.. a relatively small about of people being stupid.. so go after everyone... Yeah.. that will help..  How about they go after the stupid people? 

Well, when you buy the drone, if you're required to give your full contact information for registration, and then you go crash it somewhere you wern't supposed to be flying, then yes, they'll be getting the "stupid people". It's an imperfect solution, but quite frankly, some kind of responsibility has to be put on these novices that have no common sense. Those of us who fly smart and safe will gladly abide by reasonable rules in order to get the idiots out of the air. 

Well, when you buy the drone, if you're required to give your full contact information for registration, and then you go crash it somewhere you wern't supposed to be flying, then yes, they'll be getting the "stupid people". It's an imperfect solution, but quite frankly, some kind of responsibility has to be put on these novices that have no common sense. Those of us who fly smart and safe will gladly abide by reasonable rules in order to get the idiots out of the air. 

Those of us that already fly smart and safe are not the ones needing the rules.. The problem is you have lawmakers that have no clue about what they are making law about.  They have a staffer or two do some internet searches and maybe talk to a detractor or two and they all of a sudden think they know what they are talking about.. problem is, that is not the case....

So the bottom line is the stupid flyers won't care about the rules.. kinda what makes em stupid flyers..

All it is is government getting involved in another area of our lives and regulating it. Is this an area that is so important to our country that they need to hurry and make some ridiculous regulations? I think there are bigger fish to fry right now.

Actually it is very important right now here in California since they are having to ground fire fighting aircraft because some idiot with a drone is trying to capture footage of the fire. Before you blast me about "idiots with drones", I am only referencing the ones not using them correctly, not all flyers.

Actually it is very important right now here in California since they are having to ground fire fighting aircraft because some idiot with a drone is trying to capture footage of the fire. Before you blast me about "idiots with drones", I am only referencing the ones not using them correctly, not all flyers.

first off, the drones should not have been flying in the area, but the reaction was a way over the top reaction.  A bird strike would be far worse to an aircraft then a drone.    But they grounded entire fleets of tankers for one drone.. that is just stupid... and way over reacting.. 

Not sure this is top secret as they would like you to believe.. It isn't that hard to do given the right tools.   Not a bad idea to have around places like the white house..

Registering the drone from what I've heard and seen will be required at the time of purchase or you WILL NOT be allowed to buy one!   Quite honestly, it should require an FCC License and/or an FAA License to operate these drones.    

Not everyone should be allowed to own one, just as not everyone should be allowed to be able to go out buy a gun and own one the way it is now.    They need to do a lot more and deep psychological testing on those wanting to own and carry guns.     I've seen it all to many times lately that a "concealed weapons" holder went off the deep end and killed/murdered folks, and these drones with their spinning propellers could be used as a dangerous weapon in the hands of some of these warped individuals to severely injure or even possibly kill someone.

Sometimes we just have to protect ourselves from technology and our own worst enemy, ourselves!

Ya know ??? we need a drivers license to be on the road... (that is to qualify that we somewhat understand the rules of the road) well kinda....

We need a license to fly a plane....  (see above).

We need a license to use watercraft... (see above)...

WAIT !!!!! they could RFID chip people, AND the stuff they own..... then we wouldn't need all those licenses....... (heaven forbid !)

Greg

Well, your passport has a chip in it, your credit cards have or soon will have chips in them, and your phone knows more about you than you probably do.

Privacy is long gone.