Light-O-Rama Forums

Show Locks Up

CLD Kevin

So the show has been running perfectly for the past 2 days. Now it keeps locking up at the same song....4th song in the lineup. The status window states It "cannot load compressed sequence....cannot allocate memory for event table". If I click on the status window, it hangs up and get that every lasting mouse thinking. Then It will start "exporting compressed sequences" for 3-4 minutes and then show will resume. I have not changed this song it locks up on since day one. However, I did modify 2nd song in the lineup today, but no issues. The song it locks up on is the largest file size wise of all the other songs. 

I deleted all the files associated except for the lms file. I reopen the sequence in SE and re-saved it. SE created new compressed files. I also deleted and re-built the show file. Same results.

PC: Win7 i7 8G RAM

SW Version: 4.1.2

8100+ Channels

LMS file size: 1.25GB

Here is the log right after the 3rd song ends:

9:26:22 PM: Delaying between Musical sequences for 3 seconds
9:26:26 PM: Loading compressed sequence: C:\Users\Kevin CLD\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Halloween 2015\Ghostbusters 2015.lms.lcs
9:26:26 PM: Cannot load compressed sequence file for C:\Users\Kevin CLD\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Halloween 2015\Ghostbusters 2015.lms: Cannot allocate memory for event table
9:26:26 PM: Loading sequence: C:\Users\Kevin CLD\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Halloween 2015\Ghostbusters 2015.lms
9:27:32 PM: Exporting compressed sequence for C:\Users\Kevin CLD\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Halloween 2015\Ghostbusters 2015.lms
9:29:18 PM: Starting Musical: C:\Users\Kevin CLD\Documents\Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Halloween 2015\Ghostbusters 2015.lms
Edited by CLD Kevin

I did check with verifier. Other than a few channels completely off (for Null pixel reasons), everything was good. These sequences were not saved as intensity files.

Wondering what "Cannot allocate memory for event table" means? Too large of an LMS file?

It means it didn't, at that moment, have enough memory available to load the compressed sequence. 

Could you please send me (bob@lightorama.com) an email with the following information:

(1) Your forum username;

(2) This thread's URL, which is:

forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/37577-show-locks-up/

(3) The output of the LOR Diagnostic utility;

(4) The output of the LOR Verifier utility.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

First want to thank Bob for taking the time to figure out what was going on with my issue!!

I was "Preloading" the sequences when I created the Show file. This was taking up too much memory. Since the sequences used in the show were saved as compressed....I didn't need to use this option. 

This by itself solved my issue. I ran a test for 3 hrs and worked perfect.

Now, he also helped with the file size. My largest sequence size was 1.25GB. He ran new feature called "Smooth to Fade". His explanation is "it looks for consecutive effect events that are very short/rapid, and tries to "smooth" them out into a single fade up or fade down, as appropriate". This decreased the number of effect events which decreased the size of the file....by alot! Now it 350MB. However, he did state that it may or may not change some of the sequence looks. 90% it did not. The only part that didn't look the same if I used images or video motion on the Matrix's. They were not as clear so I put the original effects back into the sequence. Still....I'm at 500MB. Less than half what it was before. Now I'm not waiting 3 mins for a sequence to open. 

Thank You!!

Kevin

I changed the option and all ran fine for the first 4+ hours  but then I started getting (Cannot allocate memory for play event nodes). Also when I copy the log and paste to Notepad all I get is question marks. This computer is isolated and only runs the show, no AV, updates, internet, etc.

I am consistently getting a memory error at the 3-4 hour point. My compressed lcs files range from 250-700mb.

Edited by colonel

How do you access this "smooth to fade" utility?

I'm already freaking out about my XMAS show.

I have Haloween sequences already at 1Gb.

For XMAS, I'll have 8000 more rgb channels... my (newish) laptop already stops to a crawl now!

I just paid for the S4 upgrade, but I'm worried about performance with all these (new) pixels in my show this year.... I really DONT want to try to port to FPP this late in the game!

I changed the option and all ran fine for the first 4+ hours  but then I started getting (Cannot allocate memory for play event nodes). Also when I copy the log and paste to Notepad all I get is question marks. This computer is isolated and only runs the show, no AV, updates, internet, etc.

I am consistently getting a memory error at the 3-4 hour point. My compressed lcs files range from 250-700mb.

(1) Your forum username;

(2) This thread's URL, which is:

forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/37577-show-locks-up/

(3) The output of the LOR Diagnostic utility;

(4) The output of the LOR Verifier utility.

(5) Your show file (*.lss).

(6) Your sequence files (*.las / *.lms) - no need for the MP3, bak, lcs, etc., just the las and/or lms.

How do you access this "smooth to fade" utility?

Via the right-click context menu.  Select the area you want to smooth, then right-click in it, and then select "Smooth to Fades".  Here's the help file entry.

Note that on a large area, it may take quite some time. Also, I suggest saving your sequence beforehand.  And you might want to (temporarily) turn off undo recording, as it can take a whole lot of memory to make a change like this to a large area.

• 1 month later...

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

First want to thank Bob for taking the time to figure out what was going on with my issue!!

I was "Preloading" the sequences when I created the Show file. This was taking up too much memory. Since the sequences used in the show were saved as compressed....I didn't need to use this option. 

This by itself solved my issue. I ran a test for 3 hrs and worked perfect.

Now, he also helped with the file size. My largest sequence size was 1.25GB. He ran new feature called "Smooth to Fade". His explanation is "it looks for consecutive effect events that are very short/rapid, and tries to "smooth" them out into a single fade up or fade down, as appropriate". This decreased the number of effect events which decreased the size of the file....by alot! Now it 350MB. However, he did state that it may or may not change some of the sequence looks. 90% it did not. The only part that didn't look the same if I used images or video motion on the Matrix's. They were not as clear so I put the original effects back into the sequence. Still....I'm at 500MB. Less than half what it was before. Now I'm not waiting 3 mins for a sequence to open. 

Thank You!!

Kevin

I used the Preload option in the Show editor because I was getting the same errors. I am still getting a lag of 30 sec to 2:00 between certain songs, I was hoping that would help but it didn't? So you are saying its better NOT to use the preload option?

Yep....better to not to use preload if you saving as compressed sequence. Show will use the compressed file which is smaller and loads faster.

• 3 weeks later...

I too am getting "cannot allocate memory for event table"  errors. I ran the show through the verifier. It verified everything and was down to loading the sequences when I could see the verifier having issues.

What is happening is all the free memory gets used up. This happens during the show as well as using the verifier for the entire show

12002mb total

8747mb is cached

8700mb is available

14mb is free

I think once the free memory is used up, it is never released and the show or verifier has problems.

-Blu

I'm still getting a lag of about 60-90 seconds between some songs on some of my larger files (300 MB +). Out of the 24 or so songs I run during the show it happens on about 4-5 of them, its frustrating because people think the show is over and drive away.........

I'm also still getting a lag on some of my 16 strip (CCR Tree)  sequences (using E1.31) from a switch, If LOR doesn't have a good solution by the end of March for large pixel counts (and I'm not referring to intensity files) Ill be making the switch to Xlights next year........... :o

godman

I have about 2000 pixels(6000 rgb channels) and about 100 regular lor channels; I had some issues with lag and erratic behavior only at a couple places in a couple songs; I split my lor network into a high speed(500k) and low speed(115k), and then left the dmx/e1.31 alone and the issues went away

don't know if this would help, but this fixed it for me