Light-O-Rama Forums

dmx bridge to LOR controller

ncosper

I cannot seem to make this work. I am using a j1sys necg-dp2 as an e1.31 ethernet to dmx bridge. I can control a dmx flood light with this without any trouble so I know the bridge is working.

I am connecting a cat 5 cable  to data + on pin 4, data - on pin 5, ground to pin 6. The bridge runs on 5v so I tried adding voltage to pin 3. Could my only problem be not having the full 10v in pin 3 for this crossover cable to work? 

if this is the fix would it work to have this run at 12v? or do I need exactly 10v? 

Is this my issue or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Also keep in mind that although LOR controllers can power 5v lights they still need 12v to power the processor which can be supplied through the aux input.

Yes, the LOR controllers will operate under DMX control. I am NOT the DMX expert here, but here are a couple things to check or questions to ask.

Is the data light on the LOR controller solid on or is it blinking? To confirm you are looking at the right LED, disconnect the Cat-5 cable and it will go to blinking.

Do you have the unit number set right for the DMX channels being used? There is a cheater chart in the back if the controller manual to convert between DMX channels and LOR unit ID and channel.

I'm a little confused about the power you are inserting on pin 3. Are you trying to power the J-Sys that way? If I remember the LOR controller pinouts, it is putting 10 volts on that pin. If pin 3 is connected to both the J-Sys and the LOR controller and also a 5 volt source, you might be causing issues.

As you are using an AC powered controller, you can ignore the earlier post about 12 volts to run the controller as that question is specific to DC controllers. In a later post you said you were using an AC controller. That's enough for now...

<Edited to improve formatting that is messed up when posting from Tapatalk>

Edited by k6ccc

Thanks Jim, 

the data light on the controller continues to blink under every wiring configuration I've tried on the crossover cable. I was attempting to add the voltage after trying it without to no avail. I got that from seeing the pin configuration of the LOR standard having pin 3 with 9-10 v, pin 4 with data + pin 5 with data - and pin 6 as the common or ground. 

I am quite sure that I am testing the channels within the controller, I set the dmx bridge to universe 62 and am using the program da-e131 to test every channel in the universe. 

All I can guess at this point is that the dmx bridge is acting as an actual controller thus sending out the wrong signal for the crossover into the Controller. This necg-dp2 is a newer controller from j1sys and there is very very little info on the web on the configuration of the product. There are a lot of jumpers and odd things to configure. I have some questions out to j1sys but Im just trying to get this to work asap, halloween is almost here.... 

hmmmm now Im really confused. Aren't the 16 channel LOR 110v controllers essentially DMX controllers when receiving a dmx signal? Thats what they say the are capable of doing. 

My bad, you didn't specify the type of controller so I didn't know you were talking about ac controllers.

Thanks Jim, 

the data light on the controller continues to blink under every wiring configuration I've tried on the crossover cable. I was attempting to add the voltage after trying it without to no avail. I got that from seeing the pin configuration of the LOR standard having pin 3 with 9-10 v, pin 4 with data + pin 5 with data - and pin 6 as the common or ground. 

I am quite sure that I am testing the channels within the controller, I set the dmx bridge to universe 62 and am using the program da-e131 to test every channel in the universe. 

All I can guess at this point is that the dmx bridge is acting as an actual controller thus sending out the wrong signal for the crossover into the Controller. This necg-dp2 is a newer controller from j1sys and there is very very little info on the web on the configuration of the product. There are a lot of jumpers and odd things to configure. I have some questions out to j1sys but Im just trying to get this to work asap, halloween is almost here.... 

I am completely unfamiliar with any of the J1Sys controllers as I've never even seen on, so I can't help you with it's configuration.  If the LOR controller LED is blinking, it is not seeing data from the J1Sys controller at all.  If on the other hand as you said in post #1, you can control a DMX flood light, the J1Sys is obviously outputting DMX data.  It should be just a wiring issue.  As I'm understanding that you are NOT trying to power the J1Sys controller using the 5V on pin 3, I would leave that off.  You should only need 3 wires - Data +, Data -, and ground.  As far as I recall (not the DMX guy remember), you don't need to do anything to the LOR controller to tell it to use DMX instead of LOR protocol.

I just looked at the J1Sys website and I see they are in a major rebuild of the site and most pages are essentially blank so that is of no use at all...

Sorry I can't be of more help...

that is helpful jim, it puts my mind at ease that its not operator error, its operator ignorance. 

I want to be sure of one things though, it seems obvious to me but I want to make sure Im not mistaken. 

The input to a dmx controller is different than what it outputs, correct? If this is true (which seems obvious otherwise we wouldn't need controllers) then the dp2 has to be sending our the incorrect data type, otherwise the standalone dmx devices wouldn't know how to interpret the signal. 

Thanks again!

Well, I finally figured out the problem. The ground that I was using was not a true ground apparently. I modified my wiring to pull the ground straight from the ground I wired to my 12v power transformer and all the sudden it works. Thanks for the help!

• The topic was locked