Light-O-Rama Forums

Insert time into a sequence

BluMan

Ok, I've looked through a lot of the topics here and haven't really seen anything and I've looked at the software and can't really tell how but I want to insert some time into the sequence between two already existing timings.  Uhm, let me explain.

I have a sequence and I want to insert time at the 2.00 mark to add space for the new controller and what I want it to do.  Let's say I need to add 5 more seconds and have the rest of the sequence shift to the right to allow the extra space so I can program something else in that time.

I'm moving from 16 channels to 32 channels and 8 RGB floods.  I can see how to add stuff to the end but what about somewhere in the middle of the sequence?

Thanks for your time and sorry if this has been covered somewhere.

My personal opinion ...

Animation sequence --- Add time to the END of the sequence, and then copy/paste as needed to free up space in the area you want to add stuff to.

Musical sequence --- Create NEW audio file, and create NEW musical sequence. Then copy/paste as needed to add the effects in the area you want to add them to.

Remember, you can copy/paste timings as well as events.

Wow!  I had a feeling that was going to be the answer but that seems like using a hammer to cut through a 2x4.  Surely the software could have an insert option under the edit when you select a column that lets you insert a number of seconds or minutes...

So I have to spend 20 minutes moving stuff around to just get 10 seconds of space in near the beginning.  I'm without words on how this feature didn't make it in.

Thanks for your opinion though, it means a lot to have someone to ask!

Animation sequence it wouldn't take you more than 2-3 minutes. Musical it shouldn't take much longer. Once you copy/paste timings things go pretty quick. 

The thing to remember is that the Sequence Editor isn't an audio editor. Changing the audio of a sequence is (again, in my humble opinion) best done by creating a new musical sequence. Things may have gotten better in recent versions, but when you've been around as long as I have, some old habits die hard.

I agree with Don, for what that's worth. The easiest, quickest, and cleanest way is to use an audio editor to modify the song, and then create a new sequence with that modified file. Then simply copy/paste what you've got already done.