Light-O-Rama Forums

2015 Light show with video

canadianchristmas

Here is A video of my 2015 Halloween Light Show sequenced to Disneyland's Halloween Screams Sound track: 

One little fun fact about the show is at 6:36 in to the video look watch carefully you will be able to see my cat Olive.

New for this year are 2 video screens 1x 32" TV (on the railing) and 1x 8 by 10 foot projection screen (to the right)

One thing I should mention with the video screens is that I edited the video footage over top of them in this video to look better on camera if you want to see a raw video clip of the video screens Click here

Here are some technical specs:

2000 dmx/ E131 channels

3x raspberry pi mini computers running Falcon pi player

1x 16 channel LOR CTB16PC (running in dmx mode)

2x alphapix 4 controllers running 8x 2811 strips and 2x 2811 strings.

The lights were Sequenced in a mix of LOR S3 and Xlights 4 and the video editing for the tv and projection screen were done in Final Cut pro X

AND THE WHOLE SHOW AND EVERYTHING IN IT WAS DONE BY A 17 year old  :D

I got the money to pay for everything working a summer job the last 2 years...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also anyone who is interested in the sequence files or the video files for the screens, The files will be posted soon, and I will update this post with the link to those files once they are up!

Thanks for looking at my show and reading this post!  ;)

Happy Halloween everyone!

Edited by canadianchristmas

Was the video added in over top of the real screens for that video? It looks too clear.

yes the video was added, because the video came out looking blurry in the camera so I just edited it over top of both screens. Here is a clip of the screens with no editing: https://youtu.be/DLaNDBPoVbs

Well done, I wish I can make something like that, let us know when you can share this sequence so all my neighbors will be surprised

Well done, I wish I can make something like that, let us know when you can share this sequence so all my neighbors will be surprised

Ok here are all the show files used, you can download what you want from this page: http://gdriv.es/canadianchristmas/downloads.html 

Enjoy!

WOO HOO my lights made one of our local news papers,

READ THIS FIRST: One thing I want to say is keep in mind that I am 17 and I have some very bad acne because of my age, I also would like to mention that I don't look very good in the picture :D but here is the article:

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary/2015/10/18/calgary-halloween-house-sparks-child-friendly-screams.html

• 2 weeks later...

We got on one of our local news channels, tonight was a good pre show, we got a LOT of people coming to see it tonight!

Here is our news footage from global news: http://globalnews.ca/video/2310447/young-calgarian-lights-up-the-neighbourhood-with-his-halloween-house/

Hi everyone, I thought I would give a little update to say that this was a awesome halloween season and everything went extremely well! I am also very impressed that my video is now over 4000 views!!! I would also like to thank everyone for all the help and support that has been given to me on these forums!

Thanks everyone!

and I hope your Christmas displays go well!

• 4 weeks later...

I am new to this. I have just put up my first Christmas display this year. But what I want to add is some video. What do you use to project the video and how to control them with the timing of the lights?

Thank you,

David

I am new to this. I have just put up my first Christmas display this year. But what I want to add is some video. What do you use to project the video and how to control them with the timing of the lights?

Thank you,

David

Its actually easy.  Just create a video file instead of a sound file when you create a sequence.  Its as simple as that.  

Thank you,

David

Its actually easy.  Just create a video file instead of a sound file when you create a sequence.  Its as simple as that.  

Sorry for the late reply on this, Because I had 2 video screens I used  a open source piece of software called the falcon pi player (FPP) it uses the raspberry pi, I used 3 raspberry pi's to do this light show 1 that controlled all the lights and sound, and one for each video screen the ones that ran the video screens were set as remotes wile the main pi controlling at the lights and sound was the master. Like marsh28 mentioned above if you have a advanced or pro licence of LOR you can playback video in full screen but that will only allow for one video output at this time. If anyone wants more info on the Falcon Pi Player check out http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/board,8.0.html

As for how I made the video I just took the audio track and imported it into final cut pro (any video editor should work though) and edited various clips together and movie loops (a good source of free movie loops is this site) Note I made 2 separate video files though because I have 2 screens.

Hope this helps you Dave, if you have any more questions just ask!

Edited by canadianchristmas

Thanks. I was not sure how difficult it would be to setup a raspberry pi. I do see how to use the LOR software to run a video now. But if I switch over to a raspberry pi to run the sequence, how do you program for two videos?

David