Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR megatree networks

azfrankp

I've tried searching but being new to CCRs I can't find steps for adding a second wireless network to control my 12 CCR Megatree. I purchased two RS485Bs and 2 Easy Light Linkers.  Can someone point me in the right direction on how to set up the two networks and Superstar software?

Thanks.

It would simply be a second network. Though I wouldn't be putting 12 CCR's on a ELL network, but that's just me.

In Superstar "Tools -> Config" you will see a setting for the CCR controllers. Place them on the "AuxA" network to have all 12 on the second network. One RS485B is going to be your regular network, the other is going to be your AuxA network.

I'm with Don in that I would NOT put 12 CCRs onto a ELL based network - unless you like lag and missed lights.  Run a cable and use it at 500K speed (which you can't do with ELLs).

Thanks guys, but I have no choice. I have to use the two ELL's (6 CCR's on each).  This display is on a mountain over 400' from my house.  I've been using physical CAT5 cables for years controlling a standard LOR tree.  Unfortunately, all wire is manufactured with a process that uses peanut oil as base for producing the insulation.  This happens to be a delicacy for chipmunks, rabbits, mice and other rodent members that flourish in the hills. This means that about 4 or 5 times per season I have to replace those cables that I find in pieces on the hillside.  Needless to say it becomes very time consuming and expensive.  I've tried all kinds of deterrents but nothing seems to work.  My extension cord lasts longer because that 1st bite for the little critters is a "shocker".  Worst case is that I have to tape up a few bite marks every once in a while.

I've tested 1 network with an ELL on my basic LOR system and it seems to work fine for the distance. However, I know that a CCR mega tree will put a considerable higher load on the network and the recommendation from most is that I split up the CCR's into two networks.  One for 6 CCR's plus 3 standard LOR controllers and another for the other 6 CCR's.

I'm looking for the best settings for speed, frequency, etc. of these two networks.

Where I get confused is setting up two networks.  Is the fact that I simply connect 2 RS485 with Two ELL's on two different USB ports on my PC automatically give me two networks?

Thanks again for your help.

I realise this adds another layer of complexity, but if I were you I would be running DMX to the show and running that over E1.31 via a microwave link. That way you would not have to worry about the rodents eating the cable and you would have plenty of speed.

BTW, were you trying to use interior cable or exterior cable? I've never heard of problems with rodents eating exterior cable.

Thanks, Jim. I might try that next year when I time to learn more about it. At the moment I'm just trying to get my CCR mega tree up and running with a few purchased sequences in the short time I have before the season starts.  My total display is quite large and takes me a long time to set up.  Besides an interactive train display, the mountain display consists of a mega tree surrounded by several mountain snowflakes under LOR control. I just hope switching over to a CCR tree doesn't cause me a big problem.  I have a fairly large fan base here in Phoenix and wouldn't want disappoint my visitors.  You can view the Fox video on my website to see what I mean.  www.Santatrain.com

Rodents and family are a big problem here in the Southwest, especially to those of us that live adjacent to the mountain preserve.  Even standard light sets get chewed up over time if left on the ground.  I guess it has to do with our mild temperatures during the season.