Light-O-Rama Forums

Separate Window Preview Erratic

Scott Tuthill

Not sure what is going on here. I am working on a Preview/Sequence that has three props being sequenced by Pixel Editor and then 30 props that are sequenced by the Sequence Editor. But, with all props being displayed in Pixel Editor. (BTW -- this capability is great and will make it easy to coordinate the sequencing between the two apps.)

When played the "Display Preview in Main Window" works fine. When I switch over to "Display Preview in Separate Window" it does not work and I get erratic behavior. For instance, I have seen the following:

* When playback starts nothing is displayed and the "Close", "Status", and "Support" indicators in the upper left disappear until the playback ends.

* Just the three props being sequenced by Pixel Editor are displayed but they never change off the first effect applied to them.

* Just the three props being sequenced by Pixel Editor are displayed and the proper effects are displayed.

* And actually once, all the props were displayed and the proper effects were displayed.

Again -- it works fine in "Display Preview in Main Window'. I have searched the forum for similar topics but didn't see them. And, I have tried everything I can think of in Pixel Editor proper.

Any ideas?

Scott

Which version are you using? There were some internal improvements made to the playback function in the latest beta version - 4.2.4.

If that doesn't fix it...

Running multiple monitors requires a good processor and good graphics. For multiple monitors, I would suggest at least an Intel 3rd gen Core i5 or better (Intel HD4000 graphics or better). Of course a dedicated graphics card would be better still. In my limited testing AMD processors with built-in graphics are not adequate for multiple monitor operation.

If you have a system that doesn't meet the criteria listed above, then one thing you can do is make the preview window smaller. This will reduce the load on the system and improve refresh rates.

Matt

Running 4.1.2 as that is in the current LOR suite download. Have a Core i7 860 @ 2.8GHz and 8 GB of RAM. Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4850 driving dual 23" monitors. Seems like there should be enough horsepower. I can try a smaller preview window -- but then might as well go back to the Main Display.

Will experiment and let you know. I am making progress! The ability to bring in props from Sequence Editor and see the channels is awesome.

Scott

On further investigation here is what I think is happening -- it has to do with Window Focus. Here is what I am seeing:

1. I click Play, playback starts, but the Separate Window Preview does not show anything, or something erratic as described earlier.

2. If I click on the Separate Window to move the Windows Focus there, then the playback is accurate. All props and effects.

3. Then if I want to replay the sequence I actually have to click a Play Arrow twice -- once to move the Window Focus back to the Editor Window and then again to actually initiate the Play. This removes focus from the Separate Window Preview and the same problem repeats.

If I remember to click the Separate Window Preview after initiating the Play -- it works all the time. And, it I click on the Editor Window during a playback the Preview in the Separate Display freezes.

Not sure this is how you intended the windows behavior to be, I can make it work now that I know what is going on.

Scott