Light-O-Rama Forums

How to record voice for display

Daneisenberg

Hey guys, does anyone have any ideas how I can record my voice for the display between songs? For example after a song, I'll explain the display and tell the visitors not to block my neighbors driveways etc. how can I do this? Let me know any ideas you guys have or how you do it

I second Audacity.

Others including me will use Kevin Dunn The Demented Elf for announcements as well.

I also use Diamond VCS for providing voice changing/synthesizing.

I actually just use a phone app called voice record. You can record on it and save as an MP3 then send it to yourself via email . Since I don't have a microphone on the computer it seems to work really well. I edit it with audacity if need be.

Audacity is a great little program for things like this. You can easily mix a background music track with it also to really spice it up. 

My I suggest that you write a script of what you want to say, either have that displayed on your screen or print it out. When you are ready to record your script have the text in front of you and not laying on your desk.

Practice reading your script several times before you start recording, you need to try and speak as you normally would, try not to rush as you talk.

I use Mixcraft from Acoustica (this app is not free like Audicity), I record my scripts with this app and then lay the music track behind it. The music leads for a short period of time and then my voice comes in, I also usually lower the volume of the music track while my voice over plays, then raise the volume level of the background music when my voice over is done, that way the background music does not compete with with my voice.

I use a USB microphone from Audio-Technica, with a pop screen in front of it, the mic is on a small desk boom stand so I can position it right in front of me.

You will also want to be in a room where you can make sure you are not getting any background noises from others in your house (kids, wife, dog, TV, etc).

I record my voice over then play it back several times, and then I ask my wife to review it, if she approves I go with it. It usually takes several attempts until I am happy with the final product.

There are various products to use (software, microphones, and so on), each with their own set of pro's and con's, and each will have a learning curve that you will have to work through.

I hope this helps.

Craig