Light-O-Rama Forums

AlphaPix 4 to 27 channel DMX

Brian Dietrich

Need some help. 

I have an AlphaPix 4 controller that has a single RS-485 DMX output.  Can I run the 27-channel DMX dumb controller off of that output through a CAT5 cable? 

My pixel controller is run through an Ethernet cable from the computer to a NetGear Ethernet switch and then to the AlphaPix controller.  The AlphaPix works fine.  I just want to know if I can run the dumb controller from the RS-485 output or do I need to run another cable from my computer. 

Please help.

Yes you can run the 27 channel board from the alpha pix.

Step 1 cut one end of the cat 5 cable you want to run to the 27 channel dmx board, and strip the isolation of the wire.

Step 2 find pins 1 and 2, The wire colours are

(PIN 1 = orange / white striped)  

(PIN 2 = orange)

The diagram I put below should help you find the wires:

cat5_color.gif

Step 3 Connect pin 1 to the (+) connection of the alpha pix's RS-485 and Connect pin 2 to the (-).

Step 4 go to the web interface of the alpha pix by typing whatever ip address you set it to, if you are unsure the LCD display will say.

Step 5 in the web interface Check the enable dmx out check box set the dmx universe and click submit.

Step 6 in LOR go to your network preferences and make sure your settings for your 27 channel dmx board match those you configured on the alpha pix.

Hopefully this will help you if you have any questions just ask!

• The topic was locked