Light-O-Rama Forums

Controlling ADJ Fog Fury Jett

derekb

I have a fog fury jett that I decided would be cool to control in a small halloween show. I control lights using DMX, but this is my first device. I am having a heck of a time making it work. I get it to turn on with all options at max, but can't seem to do anything else. I have tried XDongle and an iDMX1000 all with the same results. I am sure it is user error, but if anyone can help me or direct me to some detailed information I would appreciate it. below is the various setup I have tried.

The fog furry has several channel options. I have it set at D7, so from what I am understanding it will have 7 channels(options) that I can set the DMX intensities to do a various mix of things. Manual for this device is under documentation tab on the page, is you would like to see further information. http://www.adj.com/fog-fury-jett

iDMX1000

added the device to the sequence, various intensities on different channels but get nothing. I seem to be able to control channel 1 for fog, like it states, but lights only work if I choose DMX intensity of 255 for all the rest of 511 channels.

XDongle

added the device to the sequence, various intensities on different channels but get nothing. I seem to be able to control channel 1 for fog, like it states, but lights only work if I choose DMX intensity of 255 for all the rest of 511 channels.

I am at a loss. It is probably that I just don't know how to set things up properly. I was expecting with each of these setups above to be able to set the various intensities I am following from the manual for channels 1-7 and I could control fog, strobe, light colors, etc. But so far, no dice.

(yes, I have read all the DMX presentations from the Christmas Expo)

Thanks for any help!!

First off you only have 7 channels that control this fog machine  your first channel 1  controls 3 items  off   intensity value of 0 thru 15  now on same channel 16 thru 31 controls color macro preview  and 31 thru 255 controls max fog & color change  in the tool bar select DMX intensity and set the values of intensity on the channels you turn  channel 2 3 4 5 control colors  6 controls strobing and 7 controls master dimmer

Thanks everyone for your help. I am making great progress. form your help, this is what I have setup and mostly working. I have the XDongle set for Universe 201. What is odd, I discovered that in UNV 201, I need to start my channel controls at channel 201 in the 201 UNV, not channels 1-7. I did what Franke said and I have channel 207 set at full intensity for the whole sequence. I can then control the strobing, and the lights, but I always have to have the first channel, 201 that controls fog set to 255 intensity as well. I have tried all the numbers and if the fog is off the lights will not turn on. I can work with that, but I would like the fog off at times and just the lights. I am missing something else? Thanks for all your help!

Hi what dongle are you using for DMX ?   and what universe is it set to ,  In the sequence editor do you have the channels set to DMX not RGB.

Thanks to everyone who helped. I contact ADJ and this product will only work with the fog on. I read product description from somewhere online that said it could do just lights. No biggee, I can work with that.

The lights are designed to illuminate the fog.

They only come on when the fog is on because it means that you can use the DMX desk to get the lights to the correct colour then they will be triggered with the fog. It is different as we are using software to control the device so we can change lots of things at once.

What have you set the start address as (Or channel)?

Hi there! I think I can shed some light on the situation, no pun intended. The ADJ manual is flat out incorrect when they say you can control the lights without the fog. I had purchased two of these units for a theatre. After many discussions with ADJ, we got to the point where they said "whoops, that's a typo in the manual. The LEDs will only illuminate when producing fog." I ended up returning the fixtures and purchasing a different brand that would allow just lights with no fog.

• Like 1

Thanks. I am just using it for a very small halloween show. I was just trying to make the most of the device. I was disappointed that the description was wrong, and pointed that out to them. I will keep mine as the effect is cool, but they certainly missed the boat in making it really cool for multiple applications.

• Like 1

I agree with you completely. During one of my many phone calls with them they actually asked me why I would ever want the lights to work without the fog! Such a shame too, because they're really nice little units, except for that. The funny thing is my conversations with them were at the end of June, and they told me then that they would change the manual. I guess they'll get to it eventually!

• The topic was locked