Light-O-Rama Forums

Have you had "that moment" when you realize you need to change course?

Klayfish

So I've been trying to gradually build a non-static display since 2012 (well, 2011 actually but I started with one of those 4 channel things DJs use).  In the three years since, I'm only at 2 controllers and about 8 of my own songs sequenced.  I wanted to try to dip my toe into RGB this year.  I actually started planning it last year and bought the hardware at least 9 months ago.  Here we are in late September and I haven't even gotten to get a test sequence to work yet. 

I'm starting to come to the realization that I just don't have the time for this.  I'm NOT saying I'm planning to walk away from the hobby, I absolutely love it...you could say obsessed, like many of you.  But I need to face reality.  My biggest challenge is time, it always has been.  Right now, my weekdays literally start at 4am and end at 9pm...gym, work, kids activities.  Then my weekends are full of things that I don't get to do during the week.  Throw in my other hobbies, and my free time to do this stuff is minimal.  I realize how much time is required to learn RGB and doing all kinds of building props.  I don't have that time, and my building skills are not good either.

But I refuse to give this up.  It's awesome.  One thing I can make time for is sequencing in SE.  The way I've been able to get my sequences done to date is during my lunch at work.  I go out to my car for 30 minutes every day and sequence.  So that I can do. 

I'm thinking maybe the smart thing for me to do is turn my display more into "store bought" pieces and props that I can just do regular SE sequencing for.  I don't mean just the stuff from WalMart or Home Depot, but some nice pre-made props from Christmas specialty retailers.  That way I can sequence all year but don't need to try to find time to learn how to build props/RGB/etc...  Has anyone else done something like this?  Basically the idea is for me to do the sequencing for regular LOR controllers, but apply them to "plug and play" pieces.

Amen..........to that statement, that sounds almost like my life to a tee. We own our own business and it requires a ton of time being everything from the CEO to the janitor. We started doing animation 3 years ago and I have over 40 songs in my display which I have sequenced maybe a half dozen or so, the rest I let others do for me because of the lack of time and creativity on my part.

Yes it cost more to have them sequenced for you but I look at it like if you were a Golfer and just had to have that club that cost $300 for a special putter or 9 iron (I think that's what it's called) LOL. So you might want think about using people to sequence for your display and free up a lot of time for you, I do build most of my props ..........it's amazing what can be done quickly with PVC pipe.

But if he doesn't have time and if he has the software & lights at least it gives him something to display for this year until he can start doing them for himself. If he doesn't have the software I would not recommend buying it just for instant sequencing.  Although I believe some people have created some nice effects with instant sequencer.

True.  I'd wait til next year, however.  The controller and lights will always be there ;)

My Halloween show has mostly custom props.

My Christmas show is mostly store bought props I have accumulated over the years.

My Halloween display does look better.

I guess I have more passion for Halloween and maybe that is why it looks better. But maybe the custom props help.

No matter, I still am buying a lot of store props for Christmas. Not that I am opposed to for Halloween it's just more props are available for Christmas. Several vendors online that sell premade props. Heck, you can even purchase complete mega trees with controllers and sequences from some vendors.

Prop building is the necessary evil for me. I love to sequence. And if there is one thing in my tool box that helps me sequence it is superstar. No, not for auto sequence. And no, not just for my rgb. Superstar speeds up all sequencing.

If I have a song that I like and get rolling in superstar, I can complete a song in 30-45 minutes. A 4 minute song. Because superstar takes away many tedious elements of sequencing. Such as timing. Superstar can help you get your sequencing spot on with nudges. That alone saves soooo much time. And when you save time there it helps keep the creative flow of sequencing rolling.

It's hard to explain. But if you love sequencing, I really reccommend superstar. It is not just for rgb. All my show elements that are years and years old....including a waving Santa, are being sequenced by superstar. And if you need time back...this gives it.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, and no matter how hard the stores try....I will never buy an inflatable. NEVER!!!!!!

Sax

Don't know that anybody is ever finished.  I started LOR last year and have a 4 plan in gettting to a display that I envisioned.

Being retiredd, I did 2 years work of the plan, this year. It's  basically has been a part-time job for most of the year.  If still working, I would have had to scale back, since I also have other interests in life.

There are strategies for simplifying and being more efficient.  One of my goals is that my halloween dispaly, is my xmas display, other than ;changing sequences. This can save a bunch of time as far as setup/takedown and building/maintaining display elements.

I'm using a lot of hanger bolts and keyhole hangers to speed installtion. No more drilling in screws each year.

There are some very nice, simply dispalys out there.  So one key, if you have limited time, is not to get caught up in the "bigger is better" metality.

The idea of DIY versus storebought is a significan tissue....saving money versus time.

...Oh, and no matter how hard the stores try....I will never buy an inflatable. NEVER!!!!!! Sax

Yeah, yeah , yeah, I hear you tough guy.

However, if your granddaughter that helps you with your props:

Helper_zpsqdpgwbhw.jpg

says, "Papa, I love Minnie and I love you, too..."

Well, she can have an inflatable in the backyard if she wants....

Minnie_zpshhbvdban.jpg

Heck fire.

She could probably get it in the front yard if she pushed me...

Just saying....

The only issue I see , is that pesky "gym" part. I don't know what that place is, but I am pretty sure it was created by satan!!

LOL! I totally understand the time issue. And like others have said, when you only have a few min to an hour to work a day, motivation is the big key. I cannot tell you how many times I think "i have 1 hour.....buy really what can I do with an our, it's going to take me 20 min to get in the groove, then 20 min of actual work, then clean up time....maybe I'll just try tomorrow"

What I do have is an understanding wife. (her job is motivation, patience, and understanding) While I do work on stuff year round (even multiple years in advance when a big project is in the works) after august the kitchen becomes my work area (well pretty much the whole house cause working on stuff in 100+ heat is very demotivational). There is coro, lights, controllers. and hot glue everywhere. And when I'm helping the kids with homework, i'm tinkering, cutting coro, and planning. Most people that come over freak out when they see the mess.

Like Bob Wiley says Baby Steps working on the Christmas display!

Don't give up!

I'm having that moment right now. I'm trying to learn the Pixel editor and wondering if I made a mistake. I'm not making any headway while getting a big headache. Three weeks wasted so far. Now the question is, do I keep going or do I just go back to the regular sequence editor?

...Oh, and no matter how hard the stores try....I will never buy an inflatable. NEVER!!!!!! Sax

Yeah, yeah , yeah, I hear you tough guy.

However, if your granddaughter that helps you with your props:

says, "Papa, I love Minnie and I love you, too..."

Well, she can have an inflatable in the backyard if she wants....

Heck fire.

She could probably get it in the front yard if she pushed me...

Just saying....

My wife wanted an inflatable, I let her have one for Halloween. For Christmas I just kept showing her videos of pixel trees until it became "her idea" to build one lol

I'm having that moment right now. I'm trying to learn the Pixel editor and wondering if I made a mistake. I'm not making any headway while getting a big headache. Three weeks wasted so far. Now the question is, do I keep going or do I just go back to the regular sequence editor?

Here's a secret...  Although it may take longer, I think sequencing pixels without any special type of "pixel" editor is easiest.  When I first started to mess around with pixels, I asked Kevin (he of the famous "Party Rock" house) about how he sequenced pixels.  He told me he used plain old S3 and suggested I do the same.  Honestly, the best advice I've ever received on here....

Here's a secret...  Although it may take longer, I think sequencing pixels without any special type of "pixel" editor is easiest.  When I first started to mess around with pixels, I asked Kevin (he of the famous "Party Rock" house) about how he sequenced pixels.  He told me he used plain old S3 and suggested I do the same.  Honestly, the best advice I've ever received on here....

Don't listen to marsh.....he doesn't know what hes talk about!! haha

I use to manually create all my sequence....but now I use a combination of generated effects and manually sequencing. It has cut my sequencing time down alot.

My time is super limited and unfortunately don't get to spend much on my own display. Seems I'm always working on someone else shows.

Right now I have to get friends and family to help me with my personal displays or I wouldn't have one. I've been teaching them which gains their interest in helping. Maybe you can do the same? 

Ha...  Well, I don't 

Don't listen to marsh.....he doesn't know what hes talk about!! haha

I use to manually create all my sequence....but now I use a combination of generated effects and manually sequencing. It has cut my sequencing time down alot.

My time is super limited and unfortunately don't get to spend much on my own display. Seems I'm always working on someone else shows.

Right now I have to get friends and family to help me with my personal displays or I wouldn't have one. I've been teaching them which gains their interest in helping. Maybe you can do the same? 

ha, well I DO use nutcracker for things like matrices and other pattern stuff you can't really do on S3.  However, I do all the chases by hand...