Light-O-Rama Forums

HELP PLEASE!

Daneisenberg

I just bought 64 channel package from wow lights. I did all my programming on a free version the last 6 months. But when I try to make it work the controller it says "the serial port (comm1) assigned to LOR has a problem. You may need to select another port) what's does that mean!?? Would someone be able to totally walk me through the whole steps in setting up? Yes I tried reading instruction and tried as they said. Please help

There are videos and tutorials on our website that explain how everything fits together and how to correctly configure your computer and the software.  Start there.

Did you log into your WowLights account and download the software and get your license key?

Nothing will work correctly on outputting to lights if you haven't.

Easiest way I handle that is open LOR HWU, click on the MANUAL SELECT button, as long as you have the controller{s} attached and powered, you should see any comm port that LOR could use.   For example on my Desktop this is set to COMM3, but on my Laptop it's COMM4.   As long as it shows commx, you should be able to use most any COMMx port EXCEPT the one showing in the error box.

That error just means that SOME OTHER HARDWARE is using that comm port, so LOR will have a problem with it, giving that pop up box with the error you're getting.   Just select a different comm port, click the refresh button and you should be good to go.

Edited by Orville

Also, know that you can't have both the HWU and the SE open at the same time. Both need access to the same comm port which won't happen

True, but the error pop up box for that issue is completely different from the one the OP is getting.   Which I've gotten both those error poip ups not realizing I had minimized the Sequence Editor instead of closing it and tried to open the HWU.  Found out real quick it doesn't work. LOL