Light-O-Rama Forums

holidaycoro dmx to lor software

clueless67

Since the HC Alphapix is a e1.31 controller you will need the S4 advanced or pro licence to operate it. LOR has a starter package which comes with everything you need to get started but you will need to upgrade the license.

Since the OP stated he wanted to start this year it is entirely accurate as S4 is the software for sale and you need an advanced or pro license for DMX.

Edited by Mr. P

Since you are just starting off you may want to look into a starter package:

http://store.lightorama.com/rese16chstpa.html

You also mentioned that you were purchasing an Alphapix controller from HC so you will need to upgrade the software in the starter package to either advanced or pro to run that controller.

As for the sequences there are people here in the forums who will share theirs:

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/forum/19-sequence-sharing/

There are also many sites on the web where you can download free sequences or purchase sequences ready to go.

It is getting pretty late in the year so you will need to get going especially if you are just learning the smart pixels.

Good luck.

Mr. P, that's not entirely accurate. You don't need S4 to use pixels. S4 just adds a pixel editor, but it's not required.

Correct, S4 pro comes with the Pixel Editor.

HOWEVER the poster is 100% correct.  To use E1.31 you need at least ADVANCED.

I am just starting out hc told me Showtime will not work . So is there any sequences that I can download and hardware do I need?

Just for the record, Holiday Coro does not like us and makes general blanket statements like that.  That does not make them true.

We have Pixel Stuff available that does NOT require E1.31 - like the Cosmic Color devices, and CMB24.

Even if you do decide to go with E1.31 equipment, which we also sell, our software works just fine with controllers that support that standard correctly.  

Remember that purchasing stuff from two different companies puts you in the middle between them.  if you feel saving a few dollars or think their product is better that is your decision.  

Whereas if you purchase everything from us, you only have one company to deal with AND we support our devices end-to-end.

Whereas if you purchase everything from us, you only have one company to deal with AND we support our devices end-to-end.

What Mike is saying in a polite, PC way is that HC's warranty sucks so bad that it might as well not even exist. Did HC mention to you that they have a whopping 30 DAY warranty? Think about that ... Before lighting season even starts, your HC warranty has expired. If that doesn't tell you something about that company, then all that's left to say is Buyer Beware!

• Like 1

The #1 dislike I have about HC is they have no support for their products unless you pay for it. Listen, if I pay $200 for a controller and have issues setting it up why should I have to pay another $40 just to talk to someone?

Light-O-Rama sell a pixel controller that would work as well.

There is nothing wrong with the AlphaPix, but from what I have heard there is no support.

The LOR one will do E1.31, just like the AlphaPix, but also has the option to connect to a normal network like the ones that the AC controllers use. But don't use the normal LOR network unless you do not have many pixels in your display.

Another one is the Pixlite 16. The same spec (almost) as the AlphaPix, but better support and warranty. I would get the LOR one though.

Also, you do not have much time.

Ok 16 pixel controller are basically the same price I go with lor is there any videos on how to set it up and also can hc ccr work on this controller?

HolidayCoro striggs should work fine. Which ones are you looking at on the HolidayCoro website?

• 2 weeks later...

HC's warranty sucks so bad that it might as well not even exist. Did HC mention to you that they have a whopping 30 DAY warranty? Think about that ... Before lighting season even starts, your HC warranty has expired. If that doesn't tell you something about that company, then all that's left to say is Buyer Beware! 

I can't vouch for this enough.  I bought a 27 channel controller, the 2nd output never worked.  I shipped it back to have them 'resolder' the output.  I was told that I shorted the the output and fixing it is NOT part of the warranty.  Wish I would have read this prior.  

The modules, wire and boxes I purchased all seem very quality... anything with any complexity I would stay away from.  I'm now weeks away from setting up and I have to purchase a 2nd 27 channel board to supplement my new '24 channel' board from HC.   

Why would you buy another 27 ch board? You didn't learn your lesson the first time? Why not get LORs CMB24D? Yes it is more expensive and only has 24 channels instead of 27, BUT, you get better service a much better warranty and the CMB24D despite having three less channels can actually handle a lot more pixels as it is comprised of two separate 30 amp banks and higher rated 4 amp channels compared to 2 amp channels.

Why would you buy another 27 ch board?

The display element I'm building is for 27 channels.  I've done countless hours of sequencing for this element and its too late in the game to go back and edit it all down to 24 channels :)  

I bought a 27 channel controller from a more recommended vendor for this year.  Going forward, yes, I will stick with the LOR controllers, unfortunately its just too late in the season to switch it all up now.  

I am running a CMB24D for my floods and the setup for that alone makes the cost worth it.  

I thought that the 27 channel controllers were all pretty much the same thing, whether you get them from Holiday Coro or from Ray Wu. I used to think Holiday Coro have good customer service, but I have read so many bad stories on here.

• 2 months later...

Okay so I have been a die hard LOR customer for six years. I want to venture into pixels or dumb rgb but I don't see how to do this with LOR without spending thousands of dollars or being one of the lucky few random people in the summer sale. I was about ready to pull the trigger of hc, but after reading this post I figured I'd ask you all.

I'd like to do a decent amount of set up for a pixel mega tree, but at ~$160 per 100 bulbs and estimated 800ish bulbs to make a decent tree - that's a hefty price. It's not just a tree, but maybe a few other props like arches. I truly want to stick with LOR, but I also want RGB without breaking the bank. CCR is a good solution but even more expensive. I've seen dozens of you with great rgb displays... How do you do it?!