Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixcon 16 Port Setup

Little_b

So I purchased the Pixcon 16, but having problems setting up the ports.  In the Manual it stats that you can hook up 340 pixels to each port.  When I go into the port set up screen it only lets me choose up to 170.  What am I doing wrong?  I am hooked up through E1.31/DMX out my LAN line connected to my laptop.  I'm pretty sure it's not Enhance LOR Mode, but if it is how do tell?

I'm running S4 4.0.38

Firmware 1.4.6

WS2811 Pixel Nodes (12V)

So I purchased the Pixcon 16, but having problems setting up the ports.  In the Manual it stats that you can hook up 340 pixels to each port.  When I go into the port set up screen it only lets me choose up to 170.  What am I doing wrong?  I am hooked up through E1.31/DMX out my LAN line connected to my laptop.  I'm pretty sure it's not Enhance LOR Mode, but if it is how do tell?

I'm running S4 4.0.38

Firmware 1.4.6

WS2811 Pixel Nodes (12V)

Little_b,

I don't think that they have implemented the 340 pixel ability yet.  This was talk I heard at the Christmas Expo, but I could be wrong.  It could be that you only get that with the new software upgrade to 4.1.2.  You should send in a help desk request and post the results back here

Charles

Hey Mike do you by chance have an ETA, and does this mean I will have to upgrade to the 4.2.... software?   Also I just want to make sure it's going to do what I need it to, will it be able to run single strands of up to 340 pixels per outlet?  I've been trying to read up on it and it's not very clear.  I read 32- 170 count strands, 340 pixels per outlet, and even 16- 170 count strands.  I have 16 strands that run between 217 pixels to 256 and hoping to not have to rewire things.

It will be out as a Beta release soon, which will make it part of the 4.2. line.  I don't have a date as of yet.  Yes it will require you to update your software.

The PixCon16 can handle up to 340 pixels on a single port in E1.31, but that does not mean you will be able to run that many in a stock configuration.  Do not forget that you will most likely need to inject power somewhere up the string, possibly at multiple points.

The PixCon16 in ELOR mode will only handle 170 pixels per port.

What do you mean by "Stock configuration?"  I have the power injection part taken care of.  I plan to use it in the E1.31 mode.

340 Pixel support will be coming shortly.  I am working on it now.

It will be out as a Beta release soon, which will make it part of the 4.2. line.  I don't have a date as of yet.  Yes it will require you to update your software.

The PixCon16 can handle up to 340 pixels on a single port in E1.31, but that does not mean you will be able to run that many in a stock configuration.  Do not forget that you will most likely need to inject power somewhere up the string, possibly at multiple points.

The PixCon16 in ELOR mode will only handle 170 pixels per port.

So, this means at the moment, it will only support 170 pixels per port? 1 Universe per port?

Really?

It's getting a bit close to crunch time to be changing Controllers around. One of the reasons I bought this thing, was the 2 Universe per port option

Shortly?

Are we talking days, weeks or months? 

I try not to complain too much on the forums, but we're getting down to the wire here. Final testing of controllers starts this weekend. If this thing is not ready to do what I need it to do, I've got to get the changes done now and put this board on hold for a year. Man I'm glad I kept my E682s.

I'm running S4 4.0.38

Firmware 1.4.6

WS2811 Pixel Nodes (12V)

Little_b,

I did some digging yesterday and here's what I found. 

1. Go to the FW update page: http://www1.lightorama.com/firmware-updates/
  2. Download the "PixCon16 Assistant for non-LOR environments"
  3. Download the "PixCon16 firmware for PixCon16 Assistant Use"
  4. Open up the "PixCon16 Assistant for non-LOR environments"
  5. When your board comes up, Double click the PixCon
  6. Select "Misc" at the top and then Update Firmware.
  7. Once the FW is loaded, select the "Control" tab
  8. Select "Advanced"

Here you can configure each port for the number of pixels you need up to 340.

Select OK and you should be set up.

I have not tested this configuration with actual lights, but was able to configure the ports.

DevMike,

I apologize for my outburst. However, the Assistant program is not documented anywhere that I could find. If it is, that's great. If it's not referenced in the documentation, it needs to be.

A question that I do have for you though.

Once configured, my network DMX configuration went to Multicast for the PixCon16. All of my other Universes stayed in Unicast. Is this going to be a problem with E1.31 packets going out to the other controllers?

Edited by Ron Boyd

Thanks Ron I'll have to give it a try tomorrow.  Just got home from a long 18 hour day and I'm ready for bed.  I'll update my findings when I'm done.

Ok so I updated to 4.2 and updated the firmware to 1.4.8, but I still can only configure 170 channels.  I couldn't do the update through the steps you have above, but I was able to do it opening the controller through the Network Configuration tab.  Using the steps above I kept getting an error saying The IP addressing of the device was not compatible with my PC.

Go to:

-->“Control Panel”
-->“All Control Panel Items”
-->“Network Connections”
-->Right Click on “Ethernet/LAN”
Select “Properties”

Double click “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)”

If “Obtain an IP address automatically” is selected, Click in the circle for “Use the following IP address:”

The default IP address of the Pixcon16 is 192.168.0.50. If it has not been changed from the default value, do the following:

In the "IP address box", enter 192.168.0.xxx, (xxx) being a number that you choose. I suggest 001, but it’s your decision.

Subnet Mask: should auto to 255.255.255.0, If it does not, enter those numbers.

Preferred DNS Server, 192.168.0.xxx.

Select OK.

This should get rid of the compatibility error you’re getting. If not, we'll try something else.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Thanks Ron-

I got it to work.  I had done everything except the Preferred DNS Server part. Now tomorrow I'll hook up some lights.

.... so Ron did you get yours working?  I downloaded S4.2, downloaded the 1.4.8 firmware for the board, changed my ethernet connection to the suggested IP address, used the Hardware Config module to test the lights out and I still can't control the board. I configured the board with the proper pixel and number of pixels per string with the LORPixCon16AssistantV2.3.1. That would talk with the board. When the program is up, the lights are solid, not flashing.

I have also tried to put the board into test mode several times and have not been successful either.

Hey Robert did you download the firmware through the LORPixCon16Assistant?  It was the way I was able to get mine to work.  I didn't use the board in test mode to check to see if the lights work, but it works just fine when I play sequences through SE and Pixel Editor.  Make sure to go into the LOR Network Preferences to assign the universes to the proper IP address.

I am still not able to. I went into the LOR Network Preferences and changed it, still nothing. I got the firmware through a link that DevMike sent (the actual firmware .hex file)  It is talking to the board because I can change things around, I just can't test anything. I haven't ran anything through a sequence or pixel editor yet.

Can you tell me your settings from your ethernet card, LOR Network Preferences, what you set it up in on the assistant...for the card. Everything. Maybe I can rematch what you are doing. I am trying to setup on Uni.15 since I believe that is where it will be on the display.  Really pulling my hair out over this one and need to go on to the next project!  Like learning how to use the new software ;-)

Wow this sure is flaky. The board went to the bootloader stage as if he had nothing. Keep in mind I first uploaded the .hex file via the assistant that DevMike sent me. I went and downloaded the .nhx file from the site. Yes I had downloaded the 4.2 S4 version. Uploaded that with the Network Config firmware upload. It took. It did some funky light thing after that. I unplugged it. Replugged it and the lights went solid. Just out of curiosity I pushed the Factory IP button for 3 seconds. It then went into test mode. Yeah!  Going to try some of the Hardware Pixel Console stuff now.

• The topic was locked