Light-O-Rama Forums

Is there an ideal timing grid? Is 0.10 a common default for a reason?

Jay Czerwinski

Just wondering if there is a benefit to using the 0.10 timing grid over other timings?

I am thinking that the best grid to match a song would be to use the beat wizard and then subdivide down the grid to something near .10s.   But then the engineer side in me was thinking that would end up in weird mathematical timing numbers and maybe that would not be as efficient as possible for the LOR controllers? 

Can anyone shed some light on what/if timings are more or less ideal for sending out to the controllers?

Thank you in advance for your attention and support!

The ideal grid is what works for you. Grid data isn't sent to the controllers, just the events that you have programmed. You could delete all timing grids prior to running the show, and things would run without an issue.

I tend to use the beat wizard for my sequences. 

Why not BOTH?  Use tracks.  Create the different timings you think will be helpful and then use them.  

Create a .10 track and use it when needed - like maybe for chases.  Then, create a 'beat' track using the beat wizard.  Use a 'Cue' track to remind you where you want to make major scene changes.  Or, use any combination or tracks of your own design.

It is fully up to you. I typically go tighter than .10 so that I am more accurate with my sequences. On a fast song like Dueling Jingle Bells I will drop it down to .05 and .02.

All great comments!  Thank you.

I suppose I was just overthinking it and was thinking there was an ideal time segment that might best align to the clocking of the electronics in LOR hardware.

Again, appreciate the insight!  Cheers.

I use a combination, beat wizard, vu, and tapper for some things. i also use the Audacity Analyze for beat, onset etc.

I have not been able to get the perl script to work so I do it manually..

I can get different timing fast and super easy using different sensitivity settings on it.

if you go to search on top here and type in perl and search you will see a really good forum about how to do it.

An option other than multiple tracks is multiple timing grids.  It used to be that the only way to have multiple timing grids would be to have multiple tracks - each track had its own unique timing grid.  But now you can easily switch back and forth between any number of timing grids on any number of tracks (using the dropdown next to the "Timings" button in the toolbar). 

Having multiple tracks brings some added complication, so if all you want them for is the timing grids, you might want to consider sticking to a single track and just using multiple timing grids with that one track.

Another thing to remember is that you can use .10 & sub divide it into 1/2 or 4 times, or 6 times etc. I do that in order to give a wow factor during fast guitar playing. I get the wows that way when certain parts of a song go crazy.  I have done a sequence in 0.5 for more precise timings & then I switch the grit to an .10, or I pasted the 0.5 sequence into a .10 grid by using "Past By Time". Then I can sub-divide & do the special speed demon effect.

Like you see at the end of this show....     https://youtu.be/_XdFl-1Ry7U

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to use tracks, but found it simplified things by having only one track, and using different timing grids .

I simply switch different timing grids on my main track when needed during sequencing.

Others like to group their objects, with each object having it's own track.

Both approaches work fine. :)