Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing pumpkin help!

Bobster 40

I know this has been probably been covered a hundred times.I normally do christmas shows but going to try halloween out this year,but running out of time.I am looking for some solid advice on making a singing pumpkin face out of rop lights. I assume this is the best route? I see people making the frames out of PVC? How many channels are needed? Any good places to get materials ,lights etc ?Does anyone have a pictures of making one? And would anyone be as nice to share a Thriller sequence for it? I know this is a lot to ask but any help would be awesome.This would make a lot of kids in the neighborhood happy!

Thanks Bob

If you do a thread search by "singing pumpkin", will most likely find other past threads.

For my 4 singing faces, I went with rope over strings because I feel it give a better look/feel.
'
The standard for singing faces/trees channels is 2 eyes, 5 mouths and 1 outline...optional.

Many have built their face frames with a pvc square frame that holds a grid type fencing material which you zip tie the lights to.  Rope has cut lengths of 18" and on up.  So to blacken out the extra lengths that you don't want to show, you use tape or wire loom.

If you hold off until next year, Frames Dlite makes pumpkin frames for about $100.  You then add your lights. They closed orders for this year.

Holiday coro has a corogated platics pumkin sheet where you use light strings. With a short timeframe, this probably would be you easier/quckest option for this year.  They also carry a number of single pumpkin sequences.

I made a PVC frame with black plastic fencing for the interior to attach the rope lights.  As mpageler mentioned above, 2 eyes, 5 mouth sections and 1 outline.  My pumpkin is 8' x 8'.  You need to determine in what lengths your rope light can be cut.  Some are 18" an some are longer. There are several website articles that show you how to determine where to cut the rope lights.  Once cut you will need to attach wires to the ends and attach plugs.  I used cheap $1.50 extension cords and cut off the female end.  The cut end attached to the rope light and the end with the plug plugged into the LOR controller.  It will probably take you longer to program than to build it.  

• Like 1

Holiday coro has a corogated platics pumkin sheet where you use light strings. With a short timeframe, this probably would be you easier/quckest option for this year.  They also carry a number of single pumpkin sequences.

That is what I use, it works great. I like the rope light ones also.

When I built my face frames last year, really didn't find any "templetes" for laying out the light strips/strings.  

That's one reason I mentioned the Frame Dlite and HC faces.  The light outlines would be layed out for you.  On Frame Dlites page, they have graphics for most of their face styles that have  automations of the various channel layouts....might help.

Lots of places to buy rolls of rope light.  I've been use 1000bults.com and have be happy with them. Wide variety of colors in 1/2 and 3/8 rope in incandescent and LED styles.  3/8" rope bends easiler and is better suited for faces than 1/2.

That's one reason I mentioned the Frame Dlite and HC faces.  The light outlines would be layed out for you.  On Frame Dlites page, they have graphics for most of their face styles that have  automations of the various channel layouts....might help.

My website is www.wireframedlites.com

• Like 1

I would do the framed delites if I could get it soon. Bummer

Anyone with a thriller sequence with 7 channel pumpkin?

Well, I would love to help you out but I can't this year. I have enough work to keep me busy until the end of the month. With the high demand for my work I have to stop taking orders around the first of Sept. I also have a large display that I do each year and this gives me time to get it ready for Christmas. This year I've had to work 6 days a week just to keep up. I hate to turn down orders. By the way this is a hobby for me as I love custom building frames.

Good luck with your display and I hope it puts a lot of smiles on a lot of faces.

Doug

• Like 1

Well, I would love to help you out but I can't this year. I have enough work to keep me busy until the end of the month. With the high demand for my work I have to stop taking orders around the first of Sept. I also have a large display that I do each year and this gives me time to get it ready for Christmas. This year I've had to work 6 days a week just to keep up. I hate to turn down orders. By the way this is a hobby for me as I love custom building frames.

Good luck with your display and I hope it puts a lot of smiles on a lot of faces.

Doug

. Thanks Doug !I run a small business myself and we are working 6 days a week also so I can relate.
  • Like 1

This year I used a HolodayCoro face instead of the big frame with rope lights because I was downsizing and needed more space.

I still put my own twist on it by framing it out and putting strobes around the frame.

See - https://vimeo.com/137722780

This will also be on a PVC frame to make it 4 feet off the ground.

Here is the link to my singing pumpkin clips.  Then I saw Creative Lighting Displays and was blown away.   My initial singing pumpkin was just hung by string, but then I put holes into corrugated plastic and pushed the bulbs through.

https://www.youtube.com/user/trbeier

Edited by A10LM

I use led rope light cutable every 20 inches. Led saves on power. And 20 inch cuts saves on material

Go here. http://www.christmas-leds.com/productinfo_v3.aspx?productid=LED-38-150FT-RP-MET

No one else sells the led rope cutable so small. I looked long and hard....

I have my frames in my avatar...come from Doug and wire frame dlites. Best and easiest for building and storing imho.

For blackout I use heat shrink. Cheap and longer lasting than tape....and easier to apply.

Good luck,

Sax

• Like 1