Light-O-Rama Forums

"Dumb" Devices

LightguyGreg

Hi All-

I have three CMB-24d boards that I am using for various dumb strip and flood devices. They are configured in Pixel editor to be addressed at LOR ID 9,10,11.

When testing the flood in hardware utility it works fine- but when trying to control in the pixel editor or run a sequence I get no output from them. The network indicator is solid so it appears to be working properly.

Any thoughts or can "dumb" devices not be used with pixel editor?

Thanks.

What level license do you have?

Pro. and I just downloaded the Beta 4.2.0 last night after I couldn't figure it out

Did you build props assigned to these controllers if you did the first thing that was asked was smart or dumb pixels.

The ribbons outline the verticals and horizontals of the house and the floods are just in various spots to wash the whole house- but yes I do believe without having the computer in front of me I picked dumb.

Is sequencing dumb RGB so difficult that a person needs the pixel editor? I've been doing LOR's smart pixels for years but this is my first year using dumb RGB. Is there more to this than meets the eye? Thanks.

Not sure I understand your post George.....  but at the end of the day all I was simply wondering other than any advice on why it may not be working is if you can use the pixel editor to sequence dumb devices? Mostly I would use the colorwash effect but I simply like having the option of both smart and dumb props in the same editor window when working on a sequence. Up until this year I like most just sequenced them directly in SE but since purchased PE and figured I would try it. It appears it can't be done or just that I have something configured the wrong way. 

Nothing more than meets the eye- just honest question.

Thanks.

"Dumb" devices can be sequenced and controlled with the Pixel Editor. Might be useful when doing "whole house" effects via prop groups. However, the Pixel Editor can only control DMX/E1.31 networks and enhanced LOR networks. This means setting up the LOR network as "enhanced" in the Network Configuration tool and ensuring every controller on that network has the enhanced firmware. See this thread for which firmware version is required:

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/36542-firmware-questions/

Thanks for the update Matt- upon further checking of the three CMB boards I have available, the one I was testing with didn't take the 1.05 firmware update the first time so I was just going round in circles. Once updated everything works great! 

Thanks!!!

• 1 month later...

Matt Brown, so does this mean props I have running the 24 channel DC controller are incompatible with PE? I have been having trouble getting it to work (I want to do whole house effects)...

"Dumb" devices can be sequenced and controlled with the Pixel Editor. Might be useful when doing "whole house" effects via prop groups. However, the Pixel Editor can only control DMX/E1.31 networks and enhanced LOR networks. This means setting up the LOR network as "enhanced" in the Network Configuration tool and ensuring every controller on that network has the enhanced firmware. See this thread for which firmware version is required:

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/36542-firmware-questions/

Matt Brown, so does this mean props I have running the 24 channel DC controller are incompatible with PE? I have been having trouble getting it to work (I want to do whole house effects)...

They are compatible. If they are on an LOR network (as opposed to DMX), then the controller must have the latest firmware, and the LOR network must be marked as "enhanced" in Network Configuration.

Matt