Light-O-Rama Forums

What's the best way to jump a breaker?

Mega Arch

Surely I'm not the only one that has had to do this in a rush to gain more power accessibility ...

PIGGY%20BACKED%20BREAKER.jpg_zpsb58avdo8

(Truthfully - I found this on electrical hacks - it wasn't really me.. Lucas Wyatt Rex posted - This is how flooring guys hot up a temporary outlet... they duct taped two screwdrivers to press against the lugs, they then proceeded to wrap 14 wire around the shafts of the screwdrivers. All this danger for a belt sander cmon!!)

Geez!  They even did it on the line side of the main breaker...  At least they could have done it on the load side so they could turn it off locally if needed....

OK seriously - DON'T DO THIS!

What is the flashpoint of duct tape?

According to the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, duct tape samples baked in an oven set to temperatures between 14 to 180 degrees Fahrenheit showed that the rubber adhesive changed properties and that the tape delaminated. After 30 days, duct tape degraded, and seals showed increasing leakage.

Duct tape has many effective uses but does not perform well in high temperatures. Despite industry standards, duct tape is not a durable choice for any situation in which temperatures range above 180 degrees Fahrenheit

I would think that most people - if their ducts are above 180 degrees - have more pressing things to think about than the condition of their tape's adhesive.

• Like 1

I think I could be wrong, but the appearance of the power panel in the above example exceeds the "Squirrel Trip Factor" built into most power substations. This accident waiting to happen would likely allow the substation to trip and the re-closer to activate and  likely hold, frying the individual within 25 feet of the power panel.   Can you say - "Smells and tastes like Chicken"!

It has been pointed out elsewhere that this was an improper install for sure.

Everyone knows you wrap the wire around the screw the other direction.

Come on....

• Like 3

It has been pointed out elsewhere that this was an improper install for sure.

Everyone knows you wrap the wire around the screw the other direction.

Come on....

did you forget the 20 amp screw is equipped with a left hand thread. And before anybody else says it yes you must use the left hand screwdriver
  • Like 1

did you forget the 20 amp screw is equipped with a left hand thread. And before anybody else says it yes you must use the left hand screwdriver

Dang you're good!

I pride myself on thoroughness and, well, I flat out missed that.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

William Bottomley just shared this one on Facebook.

Looks like a lot cleaner way to tap power.

WIRE%20TAP.jpg_zpsfjyjy7mf.png

well i have also seen this picture before, and me and my coworkers have figured that is a meter socket someone had tapped the line side of so they did not have to pay for electricity, and yes it is unfused so would be a big bang if you used this method to power your display tring not to pay for the power your using.