Light-O-Rama Forums

12 CCR Spiral effect in SS

Softball Shawn

Would anyone be able to help me out with a sample of a spiral tree effect for a 12 CCR tree? I have been pecking away at it but I just can't seem to get it right and I cannot get a decent transition on colors that does a decent overlap. Basically I can only get it to look like it is zigzagging instead of spiraling. If anyone can I would greatly appreciate it!

shawn@compairspec.com

In the standard download of the LOR software there are some samples of spirals on a 360 degree tree.

1) launch superstar

2) click on the File menu and select Open

3) navigate to the "Samples" folder

4) open the file "Vis_24x25Tree_4RowGlobe_Spirals.sup

5) you can also take a look at "Vis_24x25Tree_8RowGlobe_Sample.sup

Those are effects on a 360 degree tree. You mentioned you are looking for spirals on a 12 CCR tree. Are you wanting to do spirals on a flat 12 CCR tree? If so, could you describe more of what a spiral would look like on a flat tree?

I did look at the sample but it wasn't really helping because it is a true 360 degree tree.

Attached is a sample picture of what I am talking about. Basically to get the one dimensional flat tree to have depth and a 3D look with the front morphs staying on top or in front of the morphs that would be considered the back side. I hope this makes sense.

post-12211-0-02489400-1441728879_thumb.j

I would think that the principals would be the same same from a 360 tree or the flat tree. The 360 tree will have basically doubled the grid squares. But, I would assume that the principals  morphs and scenes etc. would be the same.

I make my spirals using the scene screen. I make a diagonal line from left to right up the grid. Then advance the lines one box up and the the right and delete the backside of the lines as I go. Hard for me to explain it.  

If I understand correctly, you want a 3 dimensional projection of spiral onto a 2 dimensional tree.

Try what indi is suggesting. It may give you the look you want, I'm not sure. But the best results would be done by a special "3 dimensional projection" feature where the computer would figure it out. There currently is no such feature.

Without such a feature, the best thing I can think of is to create several images and hand draw each frame of a rotating spiral. It would be a pain to do, but it should be possible. Now that I think about it, indi is suggesting something similar except he is using scenes to "animate" a spiral. You could also do it with a series of images.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4vsbzj4vv2rx9v/2015%20Frosty_16x50_PixTree.sup?dl=0

Right at the beginning of this sequence there is a fade up/down in red. Immediately after that is a spiral, that I believe you're looking for. It is a series of single string morphs, at .05 staggered intervals. It is a RGB spiral, but you can change the color as you need.

This sequence will show on a 16 x 50 pixel tree but there is not a star. I am using a different topper.

You can see the result in this video from last year: 

Hope this is what you're looking for.

I was hoping Mr. Boyd would see this and give you help. That how I figured it out. Once you see how it's done, you can modify the way you want it.

Thanks Mr. Ron.

• 1 month later...

I think I misunderstood what was being asked at first.

I think what is wanted is what I would call a "Barber Shop" pole effect.

To do that, create an image with the color bars slanting left or right.  Move the image from top to bottom, and do that repeatedly. You will need to move the image so it starts above the visible area. So you will want the Y coordinate to start at -50 and end at 0.

I see a .jpg image up above in one of the earlier replies. Do you have a link to the video?

Based on the .jpg image I would say my first understanding was correct, you want a 3D projection of a spiral onto a flat tree.

I hit upon an interesting pseudo spiral by using the fan smooth effect starting (centered on) the lower left of the tree and running to upper right. used 6 colors and 6 blades. playing with the nbr of revolutions,  width,  and angle gave a myriad of different spiraling effect on my tree.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I hit upon an interesting pseudo spiral by using the fan smooth effect starting (centered on) the lower left of the tree and running to upper right. used 6 colors and 6 blades. playing with the nbr of revolutions,  width,  and angle gave a myriad of different spiraling effect on my tree.

That looks pretty sweet