Light-O-Rama Forums

X and Y 'axis' in SS

Softball Shawn

Can someone please explain the x and y in SS? It doesn't seem to follow the standard x and y axis. No logic I apply seems to make sense for the standard mathematical quadrants and it also seems to be a variable where 0,0 doesn't seem to be the same location across all effects.

Thanks!

It is indeed confusing, but here is an explanation:

1) In our geometry classes we were taught that x is horizontal and increases as you go to the right. Y is vertical and increases going up.

2) For whatever reason, in computers x is the same, but Y is vertical and increases as you go down.

3) The first layout I used while creating the superstar program was the vertical superstar display. So X and Y are set up for that display.

In other words, with a vertical display in superstar x is horizontal and increases as you go to the right. Y is vertical and increases as you go down

4) For a horizontal display I want the sequence to play the same as it would if it were vertical. This means that I have to keep x, y the same relative to the direction of the ribbons.

In other words, think of a horizontal display as a vertical display that has been rotated to the left 90 degrees.

This means that for a horizontal display x is vertical and increases as it goes up. Y is horizontal and increases as it goes to the right.

And if you followed all that you were probably pretty good at geometry. 

OK, I am following you. I am programming a standard 12 CCR tree.

So where is 0,0? Is 0,0 based on the image/effect or is it based on a specific point on the grid?

Thank you for the help!

The x,y of the image is the location of the origin of the image on the grid. The origin of the image is the upper left corner of the rectangle that contains the image.

• 2 weeks later...

I could have had the upper left block be coordinate 1,1 but I decided to have the upper left block be 0,0. Realize that even though there are no blocks above or to the left of the upper left block, you can reference them with negative coordinates. So if I used 1,1 then the block left of 1,1 would be 0,0 and to me it makes more sense for the first block left of the origin or to be -1 instead of 0.

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry72...it simply moves the image "beyond" the visible grid or matrix.

For example, I have ghost flying for Halloween and I start it at a number higher than 50 (since there are 50 pixels in a CCR stripe) and end them at a negative number, like -50, so the complete image scrolls up onto the matrix and then completely scrolls off the top. I I stopped at 0,0 the image would simply blink out and not scroll away. Your values might be different if your image doesn't completely use the entire 12 X 50 matrix.

Hope that helps!

Edited by jamills706

Jerry72...it simply moves the image "beyond" the visible grid or matrix.

For example, I have ghost flying for Halloween and I start it at a number higher than 50 (since there are 50 pixels in a CCR stripe) and end them at a negative number, like -50, so the complete image scrolls up onto the matrix and then completely scrolls off the top. I I stopped at 0,0 the image would simply blink out and not scroll away. Your values might be different if your image doesn't completely use the entire 12 X 50 matrix.

Hope that helps!

OH, ok. seen those done and wondered how it was done. I will right that donw in my Book so as to remember.