Light-O-Rama Forums

Reverted back to win7 Pro from windw 10

ehgilman

So I reverted back to Windows7 pro because Windows 10 would put my computer to sleep or turn it off even after I set the power settings to "Never"  All of my shortcuts did not work after I went back. I tried to do an install and it is telling me some "temp?  something.msi" file is not available. I did a fresh download and still the same thing when I try to install it.

I tried deleting all the light-o-Rama files manually, (after I backed up all my sequences) and it says it can't because some program is still using it. I went into task manager and stop anything that was showing Light-O-Rama, and it still will not let me delete it.  Something to do with the "Fonts" folder.

Any help would be great!!

I can't get screen capture to work, but this is the file the error box refers to.  I did a search and checked the trash and it isn't anywhere on my computer.

C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Local\Temp\{3738D346-1DCD-4C2C-A734-C6B0D1A993CB}\

I had the same problem didn't like win 10.

I tried everything I could think of, went online and did some things others said worked... nothing worked... Only thing I finally found that worked was to save the files i really needed.. made a back up cd for programs etc. and did a complete system restore...

I still haven't get everything working right again on that computer but after going back to win 7 from 10... I couldn't even shut down without using the force shutdown button on the task window that started opening... 

That worked until I started getting the pop up update windows again.... then it started all over... so I am now running win 10 again and trying to get it set up and working right... I Still Hate Win 10

I think Microsoft is starting to cause win 7 problems like they did with XP to force people more or less to stop using it and use win 10. XP works until you try to go on the net with it... then they will zap it again so it stops working.. or so it will not search or open any web pages...

They try to blame it on the web sites but don't be stupid enough to believe that all the web sites are making it stop working...

Its Microsoft working on going into your pocket books again.

• Like 1

This is not what I wanted to here. :mellow:

For now, I went into the Light-O-Rama- program folder and made new shortcuts to every thing. Seems to be working ok. I am going to make a short show and let it run and see if it all works out ok.  If you figure out how to keep win10 from shutting down do to "In activity" please let me know.

Did the upgrade from 7 to 10 two weeks ago. Had to update video drivers but otherwise,flawless. Hard to tell much difference from 7 really. Running test shows and sequences every day, no issues.

Did the upgrade from 7 to 10 two weeks ago. Had to update video drivers but otherwise,flawless. Hard to tell much difference from 7 really. Running test shows and sequences every day, no issues.

It doesn't shut down on you?  I did the update for all my drivers. If I left my machine and came back a couple hours latter, it was off. 

No. Just turn the monitors off after 15 mins. Runs 24/7.

Have you disabled hibernation. It was always problematic.

I will be sticking with Win7 on my main computer until support stops in 2020, by then the main computer will be my show computer and my new computer will be Win10.

Yes, I disabled hibernate. Disable everything that should put it to sleep, hibernate or shut off.  So far with the fixes I have made in windows 7, it seems to be working.

There is a Powercfg command executed from the cmd prompt which sometimes gives you more options and control than are available from the GUI.

Here is a link to a MS description of the command and its switches, if you are comfortable around the cmd prompt.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Cc748940(v=WS.10).aspx

Disclaimer, as usual, be careful, you can mess up your machine if you don't know what you are doing. Use at your own risk.

• Like 1

I am pretty comfortable with it. I am old enough that I can say Trash 80 and know what it means. back in those days it was all command promps.   lol

• Like 2

I have a red white and blue sequence that I am running in a show. I have it set for the week. If it does not give me any problems, I will just stick with what I have until after Christmas. The new job does not allow a lot of time to be messing with it. I need to get my sequences buttoned up and ready to go before Black Friday. 

I think Microsoft is starting to cause win 7 problems like they did with XP to force people more or less to stop using it and use win 10. XP works until you try to go on the net with it... then they will zap it again so it stops working.. or so it will not search or open any web pages...

Not likely.  And I have several XP computers that are in daily use just fine - including my show computer.  Connected to the internet all the time and one is doing stuff on the internet every day.

And Phil, you're dating yourself....  I remember $1 per byte for RAM (I did not have a PC then so I did not pay that much).  I remember picking up a hard drive and controller card for my room-mate at Western Digital - $700 for 10MB.  For that price today I could have several TeraBytes in SSDs or over a dozen TB in spinning disks.

Yes Jim, Its is amazing how far we have come..........in some ways.

The problem Microsoft has to deal with is an almost endless variety of hardware and software. It is impossible for them to even come close to testing every combination and configuration. And that's if everything is working right to start with.

I have an XP machine as my server, runs 24,7, two "7" boxes and my main desktop with 10.

Up until now I would have done a clean install on 10 but the upgrade went really well and I didn't have to spend two days re-installing all my programs..................er Apps. I've put the WIN 10 ISO on a bootable drive so I can clean it up later if I need to but so far so good.

Since we're dating ourselves, I once upgraded a 25MHz 386 machine at work to a whopping 40MHz . Think it cost nearly a grand.

How about a ZX81...... with a huge 1k of ram.

I am pretty comfortable with it. I am old enough that I can say Trash 80 and know what it means. back in those days it was all command promps.   lol

Ahh...young guys! lol, how about starting out with an IBM29 card punch and possibly an ASR33/35 for creating papertapes? Actually, I go back a bit farther with an analog system..synchros and etc...

I worked in computer sales in the mid 80's and sold my first IBM AT for what was considered a cheap $7,000. The other store in town was outraged that I gave the customer a $2,000 discount from what they quoted.

• Like 1

Some other problems I had was Each time I tried to open a JPEG it would not open but told me to go the the store.... I had a few other programs that would not work correctly... I had some music files and each time I tried to play it I got the same message. I finally had to convert the files to a different format to play them .. Sorry but I dont remember what the format was for them..

I didnt make a list of all the problems I had with different programs.. I do have a few old computers that I can use for different thing as long as I do not try to do anything on line or connect them to the internet for anything... Not even to just check e mail or anything. My old 98 2nd is still used to play a few games as well as run a version of AutoCad... and I have a XP ( best thing I ever had) that I still run my AutoCad Arch desk top on. as well as a few of the older( Great) games..

I am in the process of finishing another with Win 2000 on it... lol... as long as I stay off the net with them I like the old 32 bits systems for a lot of the old programs I have as well as being able to use older printers, scanners etc. that I have.. 

How have you been able to get XP systems to connect to the net?

Each time I try it it freezes up and wont do anything there except give me messages to upgrade it or nothing at all...

And yes..

I Turned off the Auto Update a long time age, Have completly rebooted all the programs etc. and as ling as I stay off the net it works fine..

Unfortuately operating systems, especially Windows, need to be periodically re-installed to freshen things up and remove all the accumulated crud from daily use. The only way to do this is to format the drive and do a clean install. This, of course also means re- installing all your programs and drivers and devices. Total pain, but in the long run makes for fewer problems. It also assumes you have the apprpriate restore or installation media.

• 4 weeks later...

My LOR Control Panel is all messed up after upgrading to Windows 10 and trying to update.  Not sure what to do.  I basically checked all the permissions of the folders and they were all Full Control and I even made sure no folders were READ ONLY.  I figured something happened to folder permissions when I upgraded.  Still ZERO luck.  Been playing with this for days.

I am getting the following:

LORPost

Error: Path/File access error On step: Set Network Export Path c:users\<my name>\Documents\Light-O-Rama\SavedConfigurations\

Did you try running from an Admin account or try run as Admin or uninstall LOR and re-install. If that does not work you may need to write a helpdesk ticket to get the current version of Regwipe to clean things out. As always, back up your sequences first.