Light-O-Rama Forums

Protecting Controllers (Weather wise)

Daneisenberg

13 Gallon, black, garbage bag. I, at one time planned on using coro to build a rectangle cover for them. Since I have only had problems with the CCP controller boxes (bought the first year they were released), I decided it wasn't worth the effort. A small garbage bag or a plastic grocery bag was plenty enough to keep those CCP boxes from having standing water in them. 

I think most everyone mounts inside of CG1500 enclosures or similar. They are fairly weatherproof. As an added protection, I cover them with black plastic bags but do not seal them closed at the bottoms to insure moisture can drip out. Now for those in warmer climates, bagging would create too much heat so other options need to be looked at. Where you live, heat isn't an issue.

different ideas, a plastic tool box turned end wise with the botton/end cut out  for drainage if needed and circulation, Has a door with hinges so you can also open and close it when needed, rubber made food container boxes etc. Just a couple ideas... you can also paint them Black or whatever. just make sure you get the right paint for plastics.

I so Havent had to worry about much snow rain etc. My biggest threat so far is wind.... gusts average 45 to 50 mph. most of the time with some days as high as 50 and 60 here in S. Cali in the Antelope valley... Dont know yet for this year with the El Ninio if it is going to be as bad as some say it may..

I do plan on getting a couple of the Sign Holders from Home depot/ Lowes before setting mine up and mounting my controllers to those to keep them up off the ground this year.

Last year I just laid them on the ground with a brick etc. under the top section to angle them.. But Again.. This is S. California.

Just add a couple cross pieces on it and it can hold more then one controller can put in a location, cover with christmas paper or make look like a big package, hide behind my singing faces etc.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=64049-37672-844137&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3058799&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Can also use a couple fence posts and add a cross piece to mount the controllers to and have inside Tupper ware, Rubber made boxes... If you are worried about holding moisture in it just cut out the bottom and or get a couple angled small Lavours and add on the side of the mounting box's.

Edited by Old Sarge

This is how I do it.  Yep a black garbage bag with a velcro wrap.  Tuck the bag under the stand and it stays neat and tidy all season.

post-238-0-46516700-1441232180_thumb.jpg

post-238-0-16624000-1441232187_thumb.jpg

This will be Year 1 for me - I plan on keeping my controller in the garage, and just have the extension cords run under the door. 

The enclosures that the LOR controllers come in are fine out in the weather.  No real need to do anything else.  Been doing this for many years and never had any weather enter the box.  I have lived from the northeast to Texas and have had all kinds of weather, not problem. 

When I put out my LOR controllers (vertically mounted) I will get condensation inside the box. In Texas the Christmas light season tends to be damper (or more damp, perhaps dank, danker) and the temperature likes to go up and down quite a bit. Putting a black garbage bag over them seems to take care of it. At the same time I'll throw my Ethernet switch, power strips, etc. under the bag as well.

Edited by jstorms

• 2 weeks later...

I buy the plastic tool boxes with locks on wheels ( I can fit 4 controllers in one box neatly) I epoxy power strips inside to plug controllers into and have a 12v source for two 3in fans that circulate air inside. I have another plastic tool box that holds all 12 of my ccr controllers for my mega tree, I divided the controllers into 4s and put into clear small storage boxes then stacked into the tool box. 

Link to box http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-37-in-Mobile-Job-Box-209261/203668066