Light-O-Rama Forums

strang gfi problem.....

portcity_gt

The other box that the ground is going into is the meter, so thats a no go.

Im thinking ill install my new ground rod and run a 6 gauge from it into the breaker box and either connect it to the neutral buss and the box ......or adding a separate ground buss in the box for all the grounds.

And just to clarify, the breaker box was already there, i didnt install any of that.

It supplies the house, the outside a/c, and my shop.

Port,

How did you attach the wires to your receptacles?  Did you "backstab" them in to the holes on the backside of the receptacles or use the screw connections? The "backstab" connections are notorious for making poor contact.

Port,

How did you attach the wires to your receptacles? Did you "backstab" them in to the holes on the backside of the receptacles or use the screw connections? The "backstab" connections are notorious for making poor contact.

It was a year ago so its kinda fuzzy.....but im pretty sure i would have used the screw terminals for that reason.

But in any case....it looks like my neural buss bar isnt grounded and thats whats causing the issue. Now i just have to diside if i want to ground my neutral buss or add a ground buss...i assume either would be safe, and really ones no more work or money than the other.

I wouldn't spend the money for another ground buss, even if it is only $8. Just run the ground wire to the neutral bar that's already there.

I am not seeing how an ungrounded neutral would case a GFI to trip.  I am not saying that is not your problem, it just doesn't make sense to me.

I am not seeing how an ungrounded neutral would case a GFI to trip. I am not saying that is not your problem, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah - shouldn't and doesn't are not always the same. All the AC string guys just have 2-wire light strings. But when you start running DC electronics that include the ground, well humm.

Again, I agree with you in theory, but since his test proved not to trip, add the ground. It's cheap. If it doesn't fix it, didn't spend 2 arms in the process.

When testing, are you finding only the "in use" GFCI tripped, or are both tripped?

Only the bank with something plugged into it is tripping....dosnt seem to matter whats plugged into it, it still trips.....but the odd thing is its not tripping while in use, its when the controller is off.

Recheck the neutral and ground connections on the power supply too. Make sure crimps are good & tight and screws are tight.

Recheck the neutral and ground connections on the power supply too. Make sure crimps are good & tight and screws are tight.

Ill check, but remember i was having gfci problems with my ac controllers too.

Have you tested the AC controllers recently or was this  the problems  that were noticed during last season?

Have you thought about taking your DC controller and testing it on another GFCI?   bathroom?   garage? 

I am not seeing how an ungrounded neutral would case a GFI to trip. I am not saying that is not your problem, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Thinking about the ground part a little more, really agreeing with Rayburn on not making sense. It it didn't have a sufficient ground path, I would think it would trip during the show- not after.

Back to blaming teenagers as we all know they are the root of most problems.

Have you tested the AC controllers recently or was this the problems that were noticed during last season?

Have you thought about taking your DC controller and testing it on another GFCI? bathroom? garage?

I had the ac problem last Christmas, i havnt tried one this year. I dont think its the controller itself because it does it when the show isnt on.

Same extension cord to porch last year?

Ive tried different cords (store bought orange ones) not zip cord.

Humm...

Not tripping on Saturday when you're home.

Any teenagers walk by there on way to school?

Not likely, i dont live in a "neighborhood" and my entire display is inside a locked fence.