Light-O-Rama Forums
portcity_gt

strang gfi problem.....

Recheck the neutral and ground connections on the power supply too. Make sure crimps are good & tight and screws are tight.

Recheck the neutral and ground connections on the power supply too. Make sure crimps are good & tight and screws are tight.

Ill check, but remember i was having gfci problems with my ac controllers too.

Have you tested the AC controllers recently or was this  the problems  that were noticed during last season?

Have you thought about taking your DC controller and testing it on another GFCI?   bathroom?   garage? 

Humm...

Not tripping on Saturday when you're home.

Any teenagers walk by there on way to school?

I am not seeing how an ungrounded neutral would case a GFI to trip. I am not saying that is not your problem, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Thinking about the ground part a little more, really agreeing with Rayburn on not making sense. It it didn't have a sufficient ground path, I would think it would trip during the show- not after.

Back to blaming teenagers as we all know they are the root of most problems.

Have you tested the AC controllers recently or was this the problems that were noticed during last season?

Have you thought about taking your DC controller and testing it on another GFCI? bathroom? garage?

I had the ac problem last Christmas, i havnt tried one this year. I dont think its the controller itself because it does it when the show isnt on.

Same extension cord to porch last year?

Ive tried different cords (store bought orange ones) not zip cord.

Humm...

Not tripping on Saturday when you're home.

Any teenagers walk by there on way to school?

Not likely, i dont live in a "neighborhood" and my entire display is inside a locked fence.

Well i just checked and its tripped agian....so next step is to install the new outlet i bought yesterday.

Fingers crossed.

I know this is a frustrating situation.

Hopefully that's it.

Just swapped one out....turns out they weren't cheapies, they were levitons.

Well, the new outlet made it through yesterday, last night's show, all day today and is currently running tonights show.

That's great. Never would have thought Levitons would fail that quickly. Hopefully those new ones will last awhile.

Just curious. When you replaced the GFI's did you notice any condensation or rust inside those poly boxes?

When I replaced one last year I noticed some rust on the screws inside the box. Even though the gasket looked perfect, water had still managed to find a way in.

Darryl might be correct. I only use the new outdoor GFCIs as all stainless steel parts and coated boards etc. But I was still looking at the fact you tripped last year when they were new.

Humm...

Nope, everything looked perfect inside, the boxes are actually aluminum with stainless hardware.

One of the old leviton outlets was outdoor i think, it had little doors that covered the plug holes when not in use.

...........One of the old leviton outlets was outdoor i think, it had little doors that covered the plug holes when not in use.

Those shutters are child-proof shutters. Most new residential receptacles have these, GFCI and regular. That does kinda date it a little though where we know it wasn't laying around somewhere for years and years corroding from the inside out.

However, with all this said, with a name like portcity, might be able to corrode one that quickly. My father lived in Port Aransas for about 15 years. He could rust an aluminum outdoor chair in 2 seasons. Had to go all cheap plastic. He hated it.... The rusting that is - loved the island living.

The name comes from my home town of shrevePORT, la. lol, im about 6-7 hour drive from the ocean, the red river runs through our town, back in the old days a lot of goods ran that river, there was even a civil war submarine base here, pretty cool huh, but yeah, no salt water for sure, and RARELY any salt on the roads during winter.

It made it all day yesterday too, looks like the outlets are the problem, now i just gotta replace the other one.

Good to figure it out now.

Hopefully these two will last forever....