Light-O-Rama Forums

Digital VU Meter Effect for a Pixel Matrix

tmeyermn

I have a matrix that I would like to create a Digital VU Meter effect on.  Is there any easy way to do this with SuperStar or even better with instant sequencing?

Thanks,

Tim

In the TCM Movement setting, the last option is "VU-Meter". But realize it isn't really a VU meter but it ends up looking similar. And you have to manually do some settings in the Timing Map to get it to look good. So do the following:

1) In TCM 1 set the Movement as "VU-Meter"

2) Set the trigger type as "Rapid Fire"

3) In the "Row Assignments to TCM" box Set TCM 1 for all Rows

4) Rapid Fire only works well if you have at least 5 freqs selected for the row

So in each Row select 3 or 4 more freqs.

The idea is to still have the freqs for each row go from low to high or high to low, be each row should have 5 freqs in it

5) load and audio file

6) select all

7) play all

Let me know how it works for you. You are among the first to try it.

Thanks Brian,

I gave it a quick try but when I use rapidfire it seems to crash when it's doing the sequence creation...  I'll try again on my machine at home later.

In the TCM Movement setting, the last option is "VU-Meter". But realize it isn't really a VU meter but it ends up looking similar. And you have to manually do some settings in the Timing Map to get it to look good. So do the following:

1) In TCM 1 set the Movement as "VU-Meter"

2) Set the trigger type as "Rapid Fire"

3) In the "Row Assignments to TCM" box Set TCM 1 for all Rows

4) Rapid Fire only works well if you have at least 5 freqs selected for the row

So in each Row select 3 or 4 more freqs.

The idea is to still have the freqs for each row go from low to high or high to low, be each row should have 5 freqs in it

5) load and audio file

6) select all

7) play all

Let me know how it works for you. You are among the first to try it.

Looks like there is a bug in SuperStar, Rapid fire fails for me if I use more than 13 rows.  Brian is investigating

Edited by tmeyermn

For the fun of it, i tried as well, but o can only get SS to sequence one vertical row. I set my matrix at 32x16. I only get effects on row 32 from top to bottom. MY grid only gives me one line as well

Edited by jerry72

Set movement to 1

Bring up the timing map and make sure each row has at least 5 freqs selected. Rapid Fire only works well if you have at least 5 freqs selected

For me and tmeyermn superstar crashes if more than 13 rows are used. After setting more freqs let me know if it crashes.

SO i set movement to 1, assigned 5 frequencies to reach ribbon then sequenced it. It played bu again, it would only play the pixels on horizontal row 32. I then set the timing map to have all frquencies on each row then it crashed.

Using more than 13 is known to cause a crash. But it should work with 13 or less. I need to do a tutorial on it.

Using more than 13 is known to cause a crash. But it should work with 13 or less. I need to do a tutorial on it.

That would be great. I plan to do a matrix on my Mega tree stand next year, 18"x48".  I figure a 10 pixel x 25 pixel. would like to run it as a VU while certain songs play.

• 1 month later...

In the latest release the bug is fixed, it no longer crashes with 13 or more rows.

As for the tutorial, I still have not done that.

In the latest release the bug is fixed, it no longer crashes with 13 or more rows.

As for the tutorial, I still have not done that.

All good, wont even need it tell next year. 

SO i went ahead and played with it some more, got it to work, But i tried to make the VU meter go vertical versus Horizontal, SS says it will not support a Horizontal Matrix like that when i tried to run the pixels that way when i built the viz file. Any way to have the meter bars go vertical instead of Horizontal? 

In the most recent beta release superstar will support a horizontal matrix. You can get it   here.

Currently the VU meter is always at the top for a vertical matrix and always at the left end for a horizontal matrix.

In the most recent beta release superstar will support a horizontal matrix. You can get it   here.

Currently the VU meter is always at the top for a vertical matrix and always at the left end for a horizontal matrix.

Looks good, Do you have plans to make it so the VU meter will play from the bottom?