Light-O-Rama Forums

PixCon16: Network Config can't configure

beckntrav

Trying to connect to my Pixcon16 board in the network configurator. Here's a few notes

Pixcon board - solid red light, green blinkin

ethernet port - green solid, yellow rapidly blinkin

ethernet cord hooked from board to back to PC.

Getting this error when I select the controller:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5Ld51VJAof6NzJlc1JjSGZYSEE

post-14427-0-48117200-1440816039_thumb.j

Edited by beckntrav

That was it.  My PC was defaulted to "Obtain an IP address automatically".  When I manually set the IP to "192.168.0.1", it found the PixCon16 being it has an default IP of 192.168.0.50.

Thanks for the direction.

Soon, there will be many more asking this question  :)

E1.31 requires some decent networking knowledge.  The easiest and best thing you can do if you are not a network admin is to completely separate your home and light lans.  People who have some knowledge of setting up networks will find this cumbersome, but probably aren't reading this message! :) 

Routers and switches now a days are pretty cheap.  Disconnect your light show computer from your old lan.  Pretend you are setting up a new lan for your home.  Buy a new router and set it up to work with your internet service and the computer you are going to use to run your show.  Once it is configured, disconnect the WAN connection (the connection that goes to your internet provider) and put it back on your original lan.

The new router and the computer are now configured to run with each other.  The Router will also have a DNS server running so it can properly assign IP addresses to your Pixcon 16s.  Hook up your PixCon16s to this new router (or add a switch if you need more ports), and everything will be found.  Should you ever need Internet on that computer in the future (say you want to update S4), ensure that no lighting software is running on the computer (including the LOR Control Panel).  Disconnect the cable on the WAN connection of the home network and connect it to the WAN connection on your light network router.  Your Lighting computer will now have internet.  Once done, swap it back.

Physical separation like this will prevent a lot of the problems that come with trying to run things on a single LAN, and/or with multiple Network Interface Cards.  Those that understand and have an intimate knowledge of IP routing of course can skip all of this.  Unfortunately, there are entire college classes dedicated to nothing but routing and network topologies, so it's kind of hard to create a comprehensive tutorial.

Maybe I'll whip up a powerpoint to day with more of this info.

A power point would be a great idea. Especially for those of us with little to no knowledge of networking. Even just a basic video could go along way to. Can't wait to get my pixcon16 up and running. Just need some free time.

Is this correct?

PC network card -> ethernet cord -> router -> ethernet cord -> Pixcon16 ethernet connector

Do I need a DMX adapter?

Is this correct?

PC network card -> ethernet cord -> router -> ethernet cord -> Pixcon16 ethernet connector

Do I need a DMX adapter?

Correct.

No.

I'm making progress.  I set up a near new router on my PC.  This PC and router are not on my main network.  I set both PC and Pixcon to DHCP.  I connected the PixCon16 to the router and when the PC is on, the red light is steady.  So I'm close.  I still can't get the data to feed to the card.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5Ld51VJAof6VUdCNW01UzdfMHM

beckntrav, I have found out that I need to go into my "network and sharing center", once that is opened in the left hand pane, go to "change adapter settings". When that is opened if the LAN connection is disabled, enable it and then I need to disconnect (disable) my main internet connection. Where mine is a wireless network connection. I have not tried my PixCon controller yet but with my other network controller, I need to do this for it to work. I'm just going by what you have posted as far as your connection error. My listener opened up just fine, as yours is.

That is what I had to do to get it to work on my laptop. No, I do not have internet when I want to use the controller. It is either/or but not both. I can only assume that it is a problem with the computer and not the hardware or software. I dont know why. I found this out to be with my laptop when I wanted to check out a few sequences without having to set up the show computer. At least you should find out if your controller is working or not.

You don't have to disable your wifi in order to get the thing to work. Your wifi and LAN are two separate network cards and the computer can work both and still have access to the internet.

Your wifi will be setup DHCP so it gets its IP address from your wireless router, your LAN you setup as static and give your Pixcon a static IP address that is set within the LANs range.

As an example:

If your wireless router address is 192.168.0.1 with a subnet 255.255.255.0 then it will assign everything that logs into it an automatic address between .2 and .255

If you set the LAN to static and give the host (your computer) a static IP of 192.168.50.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 then you can give your Pixcon a static IP between 50.2 and 50.255

You will have access to the Pixcon and access to the internet. Static is always better on your controllers because once you have more then one controller connected it is not guaranteed they will always have the same IP address assigned under DHCP and a static IP address they will.

Thank you.  I was able to turn the wifi on.

Back to my main issue, I turned the LOR regular network back on to see if it was even operating.  Using the 485 adapter, I confirmed my std controllers still function through that network.  I also tried giving a static IP to the PC and PixCon card (192.168.1.XXX) to see if the router was the issue and it still does not respond to running a sequence.

Set your computer static IP address to lets say 192.168.1.1 subnet 255.255.255.0  then set the Pixcon to static IP address 192.168.1.5 then go into the CMD prompt and see if you can ping the IP address of the Pixcon.

If the ping is successful then the computer and the Pixcon can talk now you have to program the Pixcon into LOR.

Edited by Mr. P

Ping successful. Still not responding from anything in the suite.  The green light is still blinking. :)

Ping test results:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5Ld51VJAof6YlR4MkltWjVrcGc

Wait one second,  the green light is blinking, which is the power light.  The red light (status) is solid.  Do I have a power issue?