Light-O-Rama Forums

Lor and dmx network question

Quefol

Hello I have a question about running lor and dmx on same cat5 wire wondering if it is possible to add a cat 5 spliter at both ends of the cable and conect one to dmx and one to lor i have done some research and found that nether network uses the same pin out is that correct and will this work

It is possible, but don't. LOR has power and stuff going down some pins. If you use the wrong one you will destroy stuff.

The DMX smoke and the LOR smoke will both get out.   No magic smoke!  No magic lights!  Then you will need new magic money!!

The DMX smoke and the LOR smoke will both get out.   No magic smoke!  No magic lights!  Then you will need new magic money!!

Mixed up DMX smoke and LOR smoke is really bad.

Dispite what every one said I tried it but but isolated the two networks so dmx pins 1,2,7 is separate from lor pins 3,4,5,6 so there was no conflict between the 2 seems to work good

Dispite what every one said I tried it but but isolated the two networks so dmx pins 1,2,7 is separate from lor pins 3,4,5,6 so there was no conflict between the 2 seems to work good

True since they use different pins they "should" never conflict.

I make my living on things that "should" never conflict, but eventually do for one reason or another.

LOR pin 3 carries 10v (maybe 9v idk). If you are ever making a cable and accidentally put that one wire in the wrong order...poof. Whenever I'm making cross over cables, pigtails, etc. I always pull out my multi-meter and do a continuity test to make sure that when done these things are wired up the way I think they should be.

It is easy to blow stuff up if you're not careful, for example:

My point is that you should be able to do it IF you isolate the two from each other.  Only data on both.  Technically there should be no interference with the two signals.. but do watch out for the power on the LOR side..

Edited by plasmadrive

Sometimes you need to tailor your answer to the person asking the question. ;)

I stand humbled... I figured that out a bit late.. oops..   I of all people should know this.....  Good point Mike

I stand humbled... I figured that out a bit late.. oops..   I of all people should know this.....  Good point Mike

Don't be humbled.  You are of course 100% correct.  If you ask the question, the answer is going to be much different.  If there is one thing I have learned about doing customer support for more than 6 years with LOR, it's that there are different answers to a question, depending on who's asking -- And some times those answers are completely different.  

I do know EXACTLY how you feel - it makes my hair stand on end when I have to give a 'correct but technically incomplete' answer.

You know what?  This may make for a great new 'How to write a great trouble ticket' post,  I've been wanting to do one for this season.  Thanks!! :)

Argh... I tried so hard to resist the urge... The answer depends on the membership level (duck and run)

Correct...  Gold and above members are told "Hey, you were smart enough to buy a Gold/Whatever membership, so figure it out yourself!" :D

• Like 3

It can be done but only if you know (exactly) what you're doing. Last year I ran DMX lor and sound through the same cat 5 cable.

It can be done but only if you know (exactly) what you're doing. Last year I ran DMX lor and sound through the same cat 5 cable.

Was this amplified or line level sound? I do stuff with sound and speakers a lot, so I should hare this idea, because of all the impedance and tiny cables, but I may actually do it this year.

This was line level sound straight from the computer. My best results was with the computer running at 73% volume. The line out of the computer was teed off to the cat 5 cable and my FM transmitter. The only problem I experienced was a very small whining noise when the music went silent and the DMX lights were ramping down. This was due to a slight feedback from the DMX in the cat 5 cable. All three were traveling through 80 feet of cable before they were split back out. Orange pear DMX blue pair lor Green was ground green white was audio common and a brown pair were audio left and right

• The topic was locked