Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence editor showing 'not-black' for RGB

jrock_at_rons

I have an odd question.  I was finally testing my 27 channel RGB controller last night.  When I ran my sequence, I noticed it showing a dull white at times when it should have been off.  Upon closer examination, I discovered that in places I thought the RGB lights were off/black, it was actually set to a very dark 'white'.  Its dark to the point that I didn't even notice it till i ran the sequence with the RGB modules (see screenshot).  Its barely visible.    

Any idea why these are set to this 'not-black' color?  Has anyone run into this before?  I thought maybe I set something  wrong for this sequence, but I can now see it in other sequences too.

Can I get rid of this in one fell-swoop?

Thanks. 

I have an odd question.  I was finally testing my 27 channel RGB controller last night.  When I ran my sequence, I noticed it showing a dull white at times when it should have been off.  Upon closer examination, I discovered that in places I thought the RGB lights were off/black, it was actually set to a very dark 'white'.  Its dark to the point that I didn't even notice it till i ran the sequence with the RGB modules (see screenshot).  Its barely visible.    

Any idea why these are set to this 'not-black' color?  Has anyone run into this before?  I thought maybe I set something  wrong for this sequence, but I can now see it in other sequences too.

Can I get rid of this in one fell-swoop?

Thanks. 

attachicon.giflor_not_black.png

In the picture, it looks to me like they're all in a rectangle that doesn't include any "real" effects.  Is that true in general, or it just happens to be true in the part of the sequence that you used for the picture?

If they're all in a rectangle that doesn't include any "real" effects, you can get rid of them in one fell swoop by using the "Off" tool on that rectangle.  Equivalently, you could use the "Color Fade" tool with both sides set to black, but I think "Off" would probably be easier.

If they're interspersed with "real" effects, it will be more labor-intensive.  Or, if you're using S4 and you're willing to settle for slightly changing your "real" effects too, there's a way to do it somewhat easily:

(1) The labor-intensive way would be the same thing - the "Off" tool - but applied selectively many different times instead of once in one big rectangle.

(2) The easy but inexact way (if you have S4):

First, figure out what the underlying intensities of the "not quite off" channels are.  To do this, open up one of the RGB channels (by clicking the little red-green-blue button next to its channel button), revealing its underlying R, G, and B channels.  Then look at the intensities in those underlying channels.

Let's say the biggest such intensity is 5.  Then select a whole big rectangle that includes all of the "not quite off" cells (and also includes the interspersed "real" effects).  Right click, and from the popup menu select "Change Intensities".  That will open the Change Intensities dialog.  Set the "Operation" to "Reduce", and the "Percent" to 5.  Make sure the various RGB channel types are selected in the "Channel Types" section.  Click OK.

That will reduce the intensities in the selected rectangle by 5 (and any that were already less than 5 will be reduced to 0).  So all of the "not quite off" cells will go to 0 intensity. 

The side effect is that all of the other intensities will be reduced by 5 as well.  So for example if you've got a "real" effect that's a fade up from 50 to 100, it will now instead be a fade up from 45 to 95.  So, you'll have to see whether or not the results are acceptable.  I'd suggest making a backup copy of your unmodified sequence before doing any of this, so that you can easily go back to it in case it turns out the results are not acceptable.

Thanks Bob.  I looked closer on the train today and it does not seem like they are part of any of the effects.  I'm 99.9% sure this is user error.  Its just a weird situtation.  In parts, all my RGB channels are set to this super low intensity, in many others, its is only certain channels.  One of my RGB flood channels had it set to this intensity 100% of the time when it wasn't being used as part of an effect.  While they don't seem to be part of the effect, I do use different timings, so I found myself going between the larger and smaller timings to catch them all.  

I think I'm just going to have to buckle down and go through my sequences 1 by 1 and turn them off.  If I do find it within the effects themselves I'll use the 'reduce intensity' strategy you suggested.

I'm just glad I found it now when I tested my RGBs as opposed to the night before I went live (and all the RGB remained on when not being used).  

Thanks again.