Light-O-Rama Forums

Transmitter

ebrown1972

Max-Paul, I wish that were the case but my manual says nothing about a a first time start up. It only says to make sure antenna is connected before powering on. 

That's the first time I've heard of one of these not working but MaxPaul has more knowledge. I'm not using one but hear they are pretty good. 

There is another person commenting on this thread that has the same problem as I do. DOA

There is another person commenting on this thread that has the same problem as I do. DOA

Whoops. I didn't mean to post that twice.

I found a different 2 amp rated power supply at home today and decided I would try that just in case the power supply with it was no good. I put the antenna in, hooked up a different power supply and guess what? It powered on.So, with that said the unit does work and the power supply that came with it is no good. I will hopefully test it out tonight and hear crystal clear reception. If anyone else runs into this issue check your power supply.

Well, did a test of the transmitter today and wow. Great clarity and it carries a nice distance. I tested the high setting just to see and it went a good 4 blocks before I lost reception. I turned it back to the low setting and it is perfect for what I need it for. Even though the power supply was bad I am very happy with the performance. Hopefully no more static this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I fired mine up today for the first time. Took a few times of powering on/off and pulling the audio cord in and out. I got great clarity. Then i went and moved the transmitter and now i get a buzzing sound when in between songs... any idea why? 

Could it be my audio cord? I'm using the audio (transmitter) to headphone jack on my laptop.. FYI. its still there wither i turn the audio on my laptop up/down.

LMK your thoughts?

Thanks

I fired mine up today for the first time. Took a few times of powering on/off and pulling the audio cord in and out. I got great clarity. Then i went and moved the transmitter and now i get a buzzing sound when in between songs... any idea why? 

Could it be my audio cord? I'm using the audio (transmitter) to headphone jack on my laptop.. FYI. its still there wither i turn the audio on my laptop up/down.

LMK your thoughts?

Thanks

Check to see if you have other electronics nearby where you moved it to -- you may be picking up interference from that.

LMK your thoughts?

Thanks

Check the antenna connection and insure you didn't somehow break the ground connection on it. This will result in an AC hum coming out. I don't know what this transmitter looks like but on my EDM, the antenna is a simple RCA output connector. I dropped mine once, it failed the solder joint and caused the AC hum. I resoldered it and no problem.

I would buy a ferrite snap choke from Radio Shack and put it on your power cord before you look at resoldering. Ensure your power cord is not close to your antenna, or your output cables. Keep them all as separated as possible.

Edited by zman

I had that problem when I first connected mine...

I found out that by getting another speaker connection cable, I use the mini jack and setting it about 10 ft from my computer fixed the problem. It was probably picking up noise from my comp fan motors...  

I don't know but moving it father away fixed the buzz problem. I also reset the Gain knob.. the one on the left to almost at the 11 o'clock position (almost toward the screw in the top left corner... and turned my comp volume down to just below 1/2.

My yard is 2 1/2 acre and house on one end... I get a clear signal threw 8 walls to the back of my property

your CZE-05b does not have a RCA Jack type antenna... I forget what it is but it isnt a RCA.

Most likely it is a SMA connector, which tend to be used quite a bit these days.

The hum most get  comes from the poorly filtered power supplies (wall worts) many of the less expensive units use.

if you are using a choke, go with a common mode variety (the type the wire/cable is wound through and around the choke), as opposed to clamp on ferrites which don't offer the same isolation.

Separation from other electronics will also help.

• 4 weeks later...

Need help moving and fighting cancer and kidney. Losse I have forgot how to wire my edm-tx-led and misplaced th power supply can anyone tell me how to wire it and to get a power tranformer thank Walter

Need help moving and fighting cancer and kidney. Losse I have forgot how to wire my edm-tx-led and misplaced th power supply can anyone tell me how to wire it and to get a power tranformer thank Walter

I have the EDM-RDS. It runs off 12VDC/500ma. Plugs into it via the normal plug. I can't speak for yours as mine is self contained. Mine uses RC phono plugs for left/right audio inputs as well as an RCA phono plug for RF output to the antenna. It also has a serial connector on it, designed specially for an RS232 cable that EDM only supplies which is for the RDS data and programming.