Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller Conundrum

jerry72

Brian,

I hope you, or maybe some one can answer this. I have been using SS to sequence several songsd using dumb RGB's on several locations on my house. My plan is to use 3 Ren24DC controllers, These are 8 output controllers, 24 channels in all. For all my elements i will have no issues with setting up the controllers. Here is where it gets fun. My roof outline is gonna need about 350 pixel nodes. There is no way all those nodes can be on one output. I will have to spread them out to all 8 outputs. That means 24 channels. Now, I thought about creating 8 separate strings to outline the roof, but i dont want 8 separate elements, i want the roof line to be one. The garage roof and the gutters will each need 200 pixels a piece as well., But i think i can get by with running 4 strings off each out put.

Have i painted myself into a corner here, or is there a way to make this happen? Here is my Viz File.

First you have to know how many amps you can draw on each channel on that board, than you need to know how many amps your strings draw, that will determine how many nodes you can put on each channel.

Jerry

I had a similar issue, also using around 375 pixels for my roof line.

By arranging my ROW VISUALIZATION just right it seems that SS recognizes and treats my roofline as one element.

There is a vast difference between the appearance of my ROW VIS and my REAL VIZ.

It took a several attempts to get my ROW VIS just right. I also had to set my SS sequencing grid to 12 lines of visualization detection and 250 max row length in order to keep everything within the 24 rows I can affect by the instant sequencer settings.

Xlights (nutcracker) will allow you to build a "model" of your roofline and will treat it as 1 element regardless of channel count or number of strings.

Rule of thumb 12v pixels can run 150 pixels per line. 5v pixels 50 or so..Also distance from controller to first pixel can have an effect
Just a rule of thumb.

Jerry

I had a similar issue, also using around 375 pixels for my roof line.

By arranging my ROW VISUALIZATION just right it seems that SS recognizes and treats my roofline as one element.

There is a vast difference between the appearance of my ROW VIS and my REAL VIZ.

It took a several attempts to get my ROW VIS just right. I also had to set my SS sequencing grid to 12 lines of visualization detection and 250 max row length in order to keep everything within the 24 rows I can affect by the instant sequencer settings.

Xlights (nutcracker) will allow you to build a "model" of your roofline and will treat it as 1 element regardless of channel count or number of strings.

Rule of thumb 12v pixels can run 150 pixels per line. 5v pixels 50 or so..Also distance from controller to first pixel can have an effect

Just a rule of thumb.

That is what i was wondering. So i tonight i will try setting my grid to 12 and see if i can get that to work.

SO i just found out that i can run 665 nodes for the main roof line off one output on the REN24DC by using these little bad boys. Just wire one in every 2 strings and the controller will only read the amps from the first 100 nodes. This will allow me to just keep the layout i have bow in SS the way it is. 3 elements for my roof line, 3 outputs.

You will have to pull power to each.

Yeah my plan is to stick a psi in an enclosure with a 8 gang fuse block and ground block and feed off of them.