Light-O-Rama Forums

Successful adding 25' extension to CCR's

MSB

We're building a 40 foot CCR 360 mega tree this year with two rows of 24 CCR's. Obviously, the leads are too short to pull this off so we did a test using one CAT 5 cable to provide the signals and power from two controllers to two CCR's. 

We purchased the CCR connectors from DigiKey and a Molex crimper. Granted making the cables are somewhat of a pain it works.

Here is a video of the results: http://youtu.be/uk20FuSuKfY

Now on to programming to ensure we can pull this off!

post-11229-0-74803200-1439571920_thumb.j

post-11229-0-81072200-1439571980_thumb.j

You are probably NOT going to be happy.  I'm glad that it appears to be working now, but you may find out in the real world things are MUCH different.

We do not recommend extending the leads for Cosmic Color Bulbs, Pixels, or Ribbons. 

CCDs are digital devices - that means there is not just power running on the wires, but data as well. The timing signals sent across those wires have little room in tolerance and after about 6 feet this becomes a real issue. Best practice is to keep the controller as close to the Cosmic Color Device string as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm been using ribbons (ws2811) from 2 years ago and since then I'm using 25' cat5 for each ribbons with not problem at all.

See pictures visiting http://thehousewithlights.website

WS2811s are a different chip type than CCRs.  When they came out a few years ago, one of the advantage of the 2811s over the 2801s that they largely replaced (and I understand most other pixels) was that the cable lengths could be longer between controller and first pixel.  Therefore just because 2811 based pixels will run 25 feet, don't assume than any pixel based strips will.

MSB,  I'm going to assume that your 40 foot tree is a commercial project (since most of us can't afford 48 CCRs!).  With that assumption, I assume the standard for performance will be "perfection".  Nothing less will be acceptable to the customer.  with that in mind I would not want to head into the area of experimenter very much.  How about having one of more boxes mounted to the center pole at the elevation of the split between the upper and lower strings and feed both CCRs on each string from that mid point.  That way no extensions are needed.

• Like 1

It's a Not for Profit organization called Making Spirits Bright. Last year was our 3rd year and we raised 35 tons of food for the county food bank which is about 5 months worth...just an FYI about who we are. We also have an attitude that nothing cannot be accomplished if it isn't thought of first. You-tube search for Making Spirits Bright and you can find us.

As far as the extensions go, we originally were going to use cat5 cable that that turned out to be way to brittle and unreliable when we started crimping the ends. So now we are using 18/4 OAS CMR/CL3R shielded cable. The ends are now perfect. We are using Digi-Key connectors.

WM1127CT-ND Male Terminal

WM1125CT-ND Female Terminal

WM1847-ND 3MM 4POS Single Row Receptacle

WM1857-ND 3MM 4POS Single Row Plug

Male Terminals go into the Plug and the Female Terminals go into the receptacle.

Pin1-Red

Pin2-Green

Pin3-Black

Pin4-White

We talked about putting some type of platform for the controllers in the middle of the tree but getting to it in case of emergency would very difficult. The outside ring at that point is about 12' in diameter and even with a bucket lift, getting between the CCR's wouldn't be feasible. Finally screwed around with the superstar and got the visualization to import correctly. Grids are very tiny so programming will be a challenge.

For a dual monitor setup, it would be nice if the grid had the option of being opened separately in another window to make it more viewable with large displays.  Also it would free up more space for the other part and wouldn't have to shrink or enlarge.

Edited by B.Y.R.G.

• The topic was locked